Sponsored

Why is it so difficult to Get a weight on Dana 60s Prorock or otherwise?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have been searching the webs quite a bit and maybe the wrong places but I just cant find the weight of these things. I found one thread on another forum that gives the Dana 60 a 600lb figure. wow. My jeeping bud who is hard core doesnt know either and just says it's a lot. lol

Dynatrac does give a number on their prorock 44 at 210lb without the knuckles, brakes n such, but inners and outer axles were included. So figure perhaps 300lb. If that Dana 60 600lb number is correct that is an unreal increase in weight.

I was considering the 60's for the strength and never worry but I just never realized one tons weight a ton. lol

I have no desire to go to 40s yet and no plans for a 500hp motor so thinking a prorock 44 is the way to go...that is unless someone can tell me the weights are no where near what the one source claims.

Hopeful.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I have been searching the webs quite a bit and maybe the wrong places but I just cant find the weight of these things. I found one thread on another forum that gives the Dana 60 a 600lb figure. wow. My jeeping bud who is hard core doesnt know either and just says it's a lot. lol

Dynatrac does give a number on their prorock 44 at 210lb without the knuckles, brakes n such, but inners and outer axles were included. So figure perhaps 300lb. If that Dana 60 600lb number is correct that is an unreal increase in weight.

I was considering the 60's for the strength and never worry but I just never realized one tons weight a ton. lol

I have no desire to go to 40s yet and no plans for a 500hp motor so thinking a prorock 44 is the way to go...that is unless someone can tell me the weights are no where near what the one source claims.

Hopeful.
Unfortunately that sounds about right for a Dana 60 front end. If you want more strength in the rear, a Ford 9" is very good and weighs less than a Dana 60.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Another thread says a front and rear 60 goes for 1100lbs. That's some serious beef. Granted they would be really tuff to break and videos I've seen show guys with big engines just crashing through stuff and it is pretty impressive..but they do break sometimes.

I can justify the money on something that wont break typically but I just cant justify that weight with a stock engine. Thinking even geared down the ride quality would suffer quite a bit.

Anyone running a stock 3.6 with 60s and can give a review on them.

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
Get a shipping quote for an axle or a set. That will get you close then subtract your current axles. Tires are gonna add weight and wheels. And skids. And control arms. At the end of the day we all drive heavy pigs. I have the steel version of the full skids and rk xfactor which is a lot of added weight. Can’t really tell a difference. But the 37s and beadlocks to me kill it. With auto tranny I never see 8th and seldom will it stay in 7th if I accelerate. I wouldn’t think the weight of one tons is such a con that it out weighs the pros (that being strength and piece of mind) 5.38s and 60s will be under my jeep one day.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interested as well

Obviously 60's are heavier but I wouldn't mind knowing the delta between these and stock Rubi assemblies

I do recall in one of the videos (with Eddie I think?) the owner of Dynarape is very specific about weights between the various 44's incl the ProRock

Sponsored

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Get a shipping quote for an axle or a set. That will get you close then subtract your current axles. Tires are gonna add weight and wheels. And skids. And control arms. At the end of the day we all drive heavy pigs. I have the steel version of the full skids and rk xfactor which is a lot of added weight. Can’t really tell a difference. But the 37s and beadlocks to me kill it. With auto tranny I never see 8th and seldom will it stay in 7th if I accelerate. I wouldn’t think the weight of one tons is such a con that it out weighs the pros (that being strength and piece of mind) 5.38s and 60s will be under my jeep one day.
Good idea, I will try it.

I love that zippy 3.6 and it would kill me to lard it down too too much. Even to the point of spending coin on alum where I can get away with it.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Interested as well

Obviously 60's are heavier but I wouldn't mind knowing the delta between these and stock Rubi assemblies

I do recall in one of the videos (with Eddie I think?) the owner of Dynarape is very specific about weights between the various 44's incl the ProRock
Yeah that was the video I was referring to. My memory says they claimed stock dana 30s were 130lb, stock JL dana 44 were 170lb and Pro rock was 210lb. I believe this was with everything but knuckles unit bearing and brakes.

Maybe it is an industry secret for the 60s. lol

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Called spicer. They had to really dig to come up with a number. His info says 430lb for front and the same for the rear. Not much cred here since we know the rear weighs less for sure. Sure wish it was right though.

Called Northridge and they didnt know either. He was able to pull up shipping weights for a JK and it came in at 701 for the front and 620 for the rear. So deduct the wooden crate it's boxed with and likely 100lbs less on each. These numbers seem to corroborate the other number I found.

So if true 60's are about double the weight of beefed up dana 44s. Or the equivalent of another three 170 poundish adults sitting in the car. lol

Edit: just remembered the ultimate dana 60's come with driveshafts too. Dont know what they weigh, so looking a little better.

Last edited:

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
The ultimate 60's don't come with driveshafts. shipping weight is going to be very close to actual weight.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The ultimate 60's don't come with driveshafts. shipping weight is going to be very close to actual weight.
The combo package does if I understand your website properly.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...rear-axles-w-front-and-rear-adams-driveshafts

Or are you saying the driveshafts ship separately??

Regardless, why is it so hard to get a weight on these things. I would think that some dont care and just want a stout axle, but others like me want to know exactly would I'm getting into. Weights are listed on pretty much everything else from bumpers to winches.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
It would be pretty dumb to include driveshafts since they might be the wrong length. I think Northridge wants you to get the axles installed, take measurements, and then they will have the proper size shafts made for you.

And if you're worried about weight, have someone like Fusion 4x4 make you some fabricated 9" axles. Will be a lot lighter and probably cheaper unless you go with gucci stuff like spidertrax and gearworks.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It would be pretty dumb to include driveshafts since they might be the wrong length. I think Northridge wants you to get the axles installed, take measurements, and then they will have the proper size shafts made for you.

And if you're worried about weight, have someone like Fusion 4x4 make you some fabricated 9" axles. Will be a lot lighter and probably cheaper unless you go with gucci stuff like spidertrax and gearworks.
You probably didnt see the link then. The combo comes with driveshafts and they are specific to the jk or JL.

I dont know if "worried" is the right word, I just want to be informed and find it interesting no one really knows or wants to say what the weight is. Like I think I said earlier, you can get weights on everything from bumpers to winches but for some reason nothing on an axle--other then a 30/44.

Thanks for the referral, maybe they know. lol

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We don't ship the shafts at the time of the order we wait for a measurement.

only thing we have is shipping weight. Not sure why. MFG doesn't really include that info and we have never put them on a scale

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
You think getting weights are tough, try specs like steering axis inclination specs. They go quiet. Even a phone call do Dynatrac couldn't get me their spec. Yes, the 60-type axles are beefy, but I'm starting to conclude that the differences between the brands are slight and mainly smoke and mirrors marketing (well, Dynatrac, at least). I'll probably end up with Currie 60s or Dana UD60s since they're not in the BS business.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You think getting weights are tough, try specs like steering axis inclination specs. They go quiet. Even a phone call do Dynatrac couldn't get me their spec. Yes, the 60-type axles are beefy, but I'm starting to conclude that the differences between the brands are slight and mainly smoke and mirrors marketing (well, Dynatrac, at least). I'll probably end up with Currie 60s or Dana UD60s since they're not in the BS business.
Yeah it's a big secret evidently. Sure would like to know out of curiosity not to mention the effect on day to day driving. Thinking 60s with 37-40 inch tires has got to make it a lumbering rig with a 3.6 or 2.0.
Sponsored