Sponsored

Why I'm not buying a JL Wrangler: 2 month wait for warranty service

How long does it take to get a Jeep service appointment in your area?

• Total voters

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I live in the South San Francisco Bay area. *EVERY* single dealer in the area has a 2 month wait for warranty service. Every. Single. One of them. And this isn't new. This has been true for at *least* two years now.

The problem is that Chiseler Corporation doesn't reimburse them enough to pay mechanics enough to get mechanics to stay. So they're always churning through mechanics and never have enough mechanics. There is also the issue that Chrysler products have a large number of recalls and warranty issues to begin with.

My 2012 Wrangler needs to go in for emissions testing. It's still under emissions warranty of course, but if it fails the emissions test, it'll be 2 months before the dealership can look at it to fix it under that emissions warranty. During those two months, I won't be able to drive the vehicle because it won't be legal to drive.

Why would I subject myself to this when other makes here in the Bay Area don't have this problem? I mean, if I had a Chevrolet, I could take it to the local dealer *tomorrow afternoon* for an appointment. Answer: I won't. My 2012 Wrangler is going to be the last Chrysler product I own, because what's the use of having a nice new vehicle, if you can't get it serviced when you need it serviced? I'll just keep my 2012 going as long as I can by relegating it to second vehicle / toy status and buying a new (to me) daily driver, and that new JL 4 door that I've been looking at? Oh well.
They can't pay mechanics enough because the cost of living in California is so f***ing lopsided compared to the rest of the country...tax this...tax that...a fee for this and a fee for that. :swear: Jerry Brown, or whoever that ya-who of a governor is that's running the show over there, needs to get a grip. An exact copy of my house in California on a piece of property the exact same size would be 10x the cost of what I paid for it here. :angry: California is pretty and it's a nice to place to visit for a couple of days but it wouldn't be missed...at least by me...if it fell off into the Pacific. Ok...I'm off my soap box...in other news, the Off Road Pages appear to be back! <mic drop> :bandit:
Sponsored

OP
OP
badtux

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
They can't pay mechanics enough because the cost of living in California is so f***ing lopsided compared to the rest of the country...
99% of which is housing costs. All other costs are pretty much the same as anywhere else. Housing costs in the SF Bay area are high because of three reasons: 1) The SF Bay area is a bowl surrounded by mountains, and the bowl is built out, there is no place inside the bowl to build new houses and you can't build on mountains here because earthquakes would make them slide off the next time a fault moves, 2) the multitude of small cities that fill the SF Bay area refuse to permit the high rise buildings that would allow building up, the usual solution when bowls are built out, and 3) even if they did, high rises are more expensive to build than single family homes because they require actual steel and actual architectural design rather than being able to be built with wood scraps and wood chips from a prefab kit made at a factory like single family homes are made today (yes, that's how single family homes are built now, with "engineered" timber and sheathing made from glued-together wood scraps and glued-together wood chips, pre-cut at a factory and only assembled at the site by a crew that's not trusted to even touch a saw nevermind actually cut wood).

None of which has anything to do with the fact that Toyota, Kia, and Chevrolet dealers can schedule you for a service appointment in a timely manner here in the Bay Area, but Jeep dealers can't. What do those makes know that Fiat/Chiseler doesn't?

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
well SF is third world status these days.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
99% of which is housing costs. All other costs are pretty much the same as anywhere else. Housing costs in the SF Bay area are high because of three reasons: 1) The SF Bay area is a bowl surrounded by mountains, and the bowl is built out, there is no place inside the bowl to build new houses and you can't build on mountains here because earthquakes would make them slide off the next time a fault moves, 2) the multitude of small cities that fill the SF Bay area refuse to permit the high rise buildings that would allow building up, the usual solution when bowls are built out, and 3) even if they did, high rises are more expensive to build than single family homes because they require actual steel and actual architectural design rather than being able to be built with wood scraps and wood chips from a prefab kit made at a factory like single family homes are made today (yes, that's how single family homes are built now, with "engineered" timber and sheathing made from glued-together wood scraps and glued-together wood chips, pre-cut at a factory and only assembled at the site by a crew that's not trusted to even touch a saw nevermind actually cut wood).

None of which has anything to do with the fact that Toyota, Kia, and Chevrolet dealers can schedule you for a service appointment in a timely manner here in the Bay Area, but Jeep dealers can't. What do those makes know that Fiat/Chiseler doesn't?
Hmmm...well, we have a multitude of small towns here as well. But, that's not how my single-family home is built here...definitely not out of scraps. My point being that the tax rates and ridiculous fees for everything increase costs on consumer goods and services which put a lot of things out of reach for the "common man"...if you get my drift. At some point, someone over your way is going to say enough is enough with that crap and put their foot down. It's ridiculous that a 1,000 sq foot house on a postage stamp-sized piece of land or a 750 sq foot apartment costs $500K+. How much would a 3500 sq foot all brick home with a 3-car garage on 1/2 acre cost there? My guess is better than $2mil.

Anyway, I digress and I see that you probably agree with my assessment to a point. But...yes, it is crazy that you'll have to wait 2 months to get warranty service on your vehicle. I usually just walk in and get it...OR...I schedule an appointment that is convenient for me without any problems.

OP
OP
badtux

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Hmmm...well, we have a multitude of small towns here as well. But, that's not how my single-family home is built here...definitely not out of scraps. My point being that the tax rates and ridiculous fees for everything increase costs on consumer goods and services which put a lot of things out of reach for the "common man"...
Consumer goods cost exactly the same here as they do in Texas. I've lived both places. I know. The only thing more expensive is gasoline due to Californians preferring not to choke on smog when they walk out of the house, and it's not a major expense for me. What is driving me batty is housing costs.

BTW, I suggest you watch a house being built today. They're built with "engineered" studs (that are made from wood scraps glued together" and "oriented strand board" (which is made from wood chips glued together) and "glulam" beams (which are made from wood scraps glued together). They do have better foundations than back in the day -- post-tensioned slabs hang together a lot better than the old school rebar-reinforced slabs -- and the "engineered" studs actually are straighter and stronger than most 2x4 and 2x6 non-engineered studs -- but it's all scraps glued together.

But...yes, it is crazy that you'll have to wait 2 months to get warranty service on your vehicle. I usually just walk in and get it...OR...I schedule an appointment that is convenient for me without any problems.
What's crazy is that if I owned a Kia, or a Toyota, or a Chevrolet, I wouldn't have that 2 month wait.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Sorry, but your California. Thats considered a different world there. In Texas my Warranty or any Service work is done same day.

OP
OP
badtux

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Sorry, but your California. Thats considered a different world there. In Texas my Warranty or any Service work is done same day.
And if I owned a Toyota, Chevrolet, or Kia, the same would be true for me here.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Eh, backup camera issue for my JLUR and the dealership here in Texas says the electrical dept is very backed up with a wait of a couple weeks before they can even look at it. Even then I'm looking at leaving it for a couple days but leaving with a loaner car.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Meh, for a Backup camera issue I'd rather just wait till things die down than be without your own jeep for a couple of days.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
what about a Toyota? Hmm... ah yes, my local Toyota dealership has an opening this afternoon if I need service for my Toyota.
Guess why Toyota dealers can see you this very day ? Might have something to do with reliability and quality control , eh ?

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
a crew that's not trusted to even touch a saw never mind actually cut wood).
The Cali dealer service depts. are not trusted by me to even touch my JK . Consider yourself lucky they cannot see you .

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
It's a very fair point. A warranty is only as good as the warrantor's ability to properly and timely service defect.

Sometimes the mother company has to come in (FCA) and level the playing surface.

Case in point. The people of Toledo who buy Wranglers pay the same for dealer shipping as do those in San Diego (chosen for its relatively long distance from Toledo).

Cost of living allowances for more urban areas, managed by FCA might solve some of these issues, but they would come at the expense of those living in less developed areas, who understandably, don't want to pay such costs.

Even as a Metro NYer, who'd benefit for such a change, I completely get, respect, and appreciate how those in more rural areas might say, "we chose to live were we live for a reason: cost of living/lifestyle. Don't make us pay for your right to chose to live in more urban areas. There are certain things we give up (and gain) distancing ourselves from cities (e.g. local tertiary uber advanced specialty medical care) and shouldn't have to subsidize you.

Car companies have tried to keep service as consistent as possible at dealerships e.g. the muffler replace in Seattle should cost what it does is Peoria, but maybe concierge levels of warranty service is the only true way to address this. Do I want to pay it? Heck no. But I got paid a lot more working in NYC and Wall St for many years than I might have earned elsewhere, and maybe it's only fair.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It's a very fair point. A warranty is only as good as the warrantor's ability to properly and timely service defect.

Sometimes the mother company has to come in (FCA) and level the playing surface.

Case in point. The people of Toledo who buy Wranglers pay the same for dealer shipping as do those in San Diego (chosen for its relatively long distance from Toledo).

Cost of living allowances for more urban areas, managed by FCA might solve some of these issues, but they would come at the expense of those living in less developed areas, who understandably, don't want to pay such costs.

Even as a Metro NYer, who'd benefit for such a change, I completely get how those in more rural areas might say, "we chose to live were we live for a reason: cost of living/lifestyle. Don't make us pay for your right to chose to live in more urban areas. There are certain things we give up (and gain) distancing ourselves from cities (e.g. tertiary uber advanced specialty medical care) and shouldn't have to subsidize you.

Car companies have tried to keep service as consistent as possible at dealerships e.g. the muffler replace in Seattle should cost what it does is Peoria, but maybe concierge levels of warranty service is the only true way to address this. Do I want to pay it? Heck now. But I got paid a lot more working on Wall St for many years than I might have earned elsewhere, and maybe it's only fair.
That is an intellectual approach . A practical approach is to take your vehicle to West Virginia and they will fix it better than any New York dealership , because they know what they are doing . And never take it to Cali , because Cali's cannot read .

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That is an intellectual approach . A practical approach is to take your vehicle to West Virginia and they will fix it better than any New York dealership , because they know what they are doing . And never take it to Cali , because Cali's cannot read .
Practical? perhaps. Difficult? definitely. Marketable? maybe...as in the cost differential for competent quick service being so high that markets can be made in sticking rigs on transport trucks to turf maintenance to, say, your locale.

It's still inconvenient. The best of service departments, understandably, often don't get a problem completely resolved on the first try.

Maybe concierge loaner rig service is a solution: which still wouldn't address, in the Wrangler space, the loss of a customized rig for the duration of service.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The best of service departments, understandably, often don't get a problem completely resolved on the first try.
True , but I was thinking of the innate skill and competence of West Virginia mechanics . They were the best tank mechanics in the Army , along with guys from eastern Kentucky . The best vehicle mechanics I've ever known . Second best mechanics are UAW guys from Michigan .

Of course , that was before the computer wusses took over auto manufacturing . The Cali illiterates were left behind soon after birth . When you point to something , name it , and describe it , they have already forgotten what you pointed at .
Sponsored