Why I canceled my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe Order

naladar

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
I have had an order in place since February. I was really excited about the potential for the platform and still am. That being said, I simply could NOT accept how much space is lost due to the battery!

It may sound trivial to some, but I saw a Youtube video of someone showing what it looks like with the rear seats folded down. You end up with a platform that sit up 10-12 inches tall. When I pack my rig for elk hunting it can be a tight fit as it is and losing that much space to me was just a no go.

Just some food for thought for those that may not have thought about that. I knew I would lose the space under the seat of course, I just didn't realize how much space I would lose ABOVE it.

I went and purchased the Ecodiesel model this weekend. Best Jeep I have driven in 25 years. Hope it holds together and has no leaks.
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Sounds like the right decision for you. Diesel is definitely a great option.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I was thinking of looking into one of those attics that string across above the rear seats and see if I can use that space between the sport cage and hard top to help offset the loss. But obviously that depends upon what you're packing and wouldn't work if you need to have the top down at the same time.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Have you looked into the Gladiator if you are requiring the next cargo capacity?

Sponsored

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Yup those batteries do take up a lot of space, technology can't improve them fast enough. Must/Needs to be smaller & more powerful.
Enjoy your diesel, I certainly do mine :like:
If they hadn't been trying to leverage so much of the existing seat setup they could've mitigated the gain more. This is more a symptom of retrofitting an existing vehicle, and the limitations driven by that, than battery size. Though, the idea of structural batteries as the unibody/frame of a vehicle going forward is intriguing.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I went and purchased the Ecodiesel model this weekend. Best Jeep I have driven in 25 years. Hope it holds together and has no leaks.
I think I would be OK with a hybrid or electric vehicle around town. But for a truck or Jeep, not so much. However, I am interested in driving the new 2022 all electric Hummer when it is available.

My JLURD has no water leaks, no engine leaks, no transmission leaks, no transfer case leaks and no differential leaks. Enjoy your new Jeep when you get it.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I have had an order in place since February. I was really excited about the potential for the platform and still am. That being said, I simply could NOT accept how much space is lost due to the battery!

It may sound trivial to some, but I saw a Youtube video of someone showing what it looks like with the rear seats folded down. You end up with a platform that sit up 10-12 inches tall. When I pack my rig for elk hunting it can be a tight fit as it is and losing that much space to me was just a no go.

Just some food for thought for those that may not have thought about that. I knew I would lose the space under the seat of course, I just didn't realize how much space I would lose ABOVE it.

Sounds like a sound decision naladar. Enjoy your new Jeep!

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Just picked up my diesel over the weekend, loving it!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Is this the image you saw?

1610036974802-png.png

I can see why that's an issue but I truly don't know how it could have been done better. It's a problem for all vehicles when adding battery packs, or increasing the battery size. My commuter is a Prius and I keep kicking around the idea of trading it for a Prius Prime. Same car, but rather than just a hybrid it is a plug in hybrid similar to the 4xe. Even in that car, designed for batteries from the start, the bigger battery eats into the trunk space quite a bit. I'd echo what others have said, battery technology really needs to improve if this whole electric car thing is going to succeed outside of metropolitan areas. The batteries need to be smaller, more powerful, and faster to recharge.

OP
OP

naladar

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
Have you looked into the Gladiator if you are requiring the next cargo capacity?
I did give that serious consideration actually, though I found the longer w
Is this the image you saw?

Jeep Wrangler JL Why I canceled my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe Order 1610036974802-

I can see why that's an issue but I truly don't know how it could have been done better. It's a problem for all vehicles when adding battery packs, or increasing the battery size. My commuter is a Prius and I keep kicking around the idea of trading it for a Prius Prime. Same car, but rather than just a hybrid it is a plug in hybrid similar to the 4xe. Even in that car, designed for batteries from the start, the bigger battery eats into the trunk space quite a bit. I'd echo what others have said, battery technology really needs to improve if this whole electric car thing is going to succeed outside of metropolitan areas. The batteries need to be smaller, more powerful, and faster to recharge.

I agree I do not know how they could have done it better and yes that is pretty much the image I saw. That platform is 8-10 inches of space, the full width and depth of the back part of the seat. Which is a lot of room to lose AND it moves the contents of whatever you have loaded there up 8-10" inches closer to the level of the door windows.

I wish they offered the larger screen stereo head unit without those giant a$$ sub woofer in the back.
Sponsored