Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA sold roughly 200,000 JLs last year, of which 10% - 12% were 2-door. That’s only 20,000 - 24,000 2-door JLs leaving the factory.

If you start cutting that between Sport and Rubicon, automatic and manual, V6, 4-cyl and diesel, etc., you end up making pretty much a bunch of one-offs.

Stellantis already announced it plans to improve FCA’s operating profit from 5.5% to PSA’s 7.5% by end of this year.

My guess is it is going to have to rationalize production, which means there are going to be fewer trim levels (not a bad idea: Sport, Willys, Sahara and Rubicon?), better bundling of options (a great idea), and perhaps fewer color combinations (hopefully not; knock on wood!). Perhaps we will see options like LEDs and proximity locks made standard on higher trims.

The specs between the 2.0T and the 3.6 V6 are too similar to make any meaningful difference; my guess is they will choose one and drop the other.

With the 2023 mid-cycle redesign, I can see Jeep sharing more parts across all Wrangler versions —e.g., bumpers, fenders, turn signals, grilles, armrests, etc. This would reduce unnecessary complexity and production costs, improve manufacturing and inventory efficiency, resulting in better overall product quality and reduced warranty costs.

The temptation to drop the 2-door is going to be great, but given Wrangler’s unique history, my hope is cooler heads will prevail. Bringing back the 2-door Sahara might be a relatively easy way to boost share of 2-door Wrangler sales.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Aldo's right. It's all up to the bean counters. Money talks and has the last say with FCA or whatever they call themselves now.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
.... or how about a focus group of Jeep enthusiasts instead of soccer moms?
Rick, I know your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect Jeep will build whatever (within reason) the most customers want.

Here is the new BMW M4, built to the tastes of their largest market (China):
https://www.motor1.com/news/429616/2021-bmw-m4-coupe-render/

Evidently the Chinese like big grills. One man's meat is another man's poison.

p.s. When many of us say "I'm going to keep this Jeep forever", it doesn't help influence designers compared to a fresh market of repeat buyers. Loyalty can have ironic consequences.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Rick, I know your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect Jeep will build whatever (within reason) the most customers want.

Here is the new BMW M4, built to the tastes of their largest market (China):
https://www.motor1.com/news/429616/2021-bmw-m4-coupe-render/

Evidently the Chinese like big grills. One man's meat is another man's poison.

p.s. When many of us say "I'm going to keep this Jeep forever", it doesn't help influence designers compared to a fresh market of repeat buyers. Loyalty can have ironic consequences.
Isn't that why they developed the Renegade? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I have to ask this and I mean absolutely no disrespect

Why are jeep owners concerned about gas mileage? Is it just a habit to watch the gauge? Personally Ive never driven something so good on gas before. Its amazing the mpg they can squeeze of a box
Range for me also. Some of us play far from civilization. I have to carry up to 15 extra gallons of gas (bumper mounted tire/gas can carrier) for some of my rides.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why I bought a Diesel Wrangler P1050443er

Jeep Wrangler JL Why I bought a Diesel Wrangler P1006096ecpexpr

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I considered the Diesel but it does not have a selec-track option and was worried about snow driving.

Also Diesel is 50 cents a gallon more so there goes much of the savings, the higher regular maintenance and it is a wash until 300K miles.

However, the Diesel is more about saving money, it is about better range, performance and longevity. I think if I got a Rubicon I would have gotten a Diesel because the Rubicon does have selec-trac option anyway.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If they ever make a 2 door diesel I will move onto JL #3

OP
OP

Buckshot184

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.0L diesel
I have to ask this and I mean absolutely no disrespect

Why are jeep owners concerned about gas mileage? Is it just a habit to watch the gauge? Personally Ive never driven something so good on gas before. Its amazing the mpg they can squeeze of a box
I guess I would say the reason I am concerned about gas mileage would be because I like money and I like the environment.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Love the range, but most of all it IS fun to drive. It's nice to not slow down in headwind or on hills.

Getting onto freeways is also fun. Up to speed in no time.
Sponsored