Why I bought a Diesel Wrangler

Buckshot184

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.0L diesel
Over 4000 miles and averaging over 29 MPG. I am a big Jeep guy and used to own a '09 JK 2 door but was strongly considering the new Defender or Bronco until the diesel engine option came out. This thing gets better gas mileage than my wife's Rav4 and is a blast to drive.

IMG_6580.jpg
Sponsored

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Same here. Itā€™s the wifeā€™s and she says itā€™s so much more fun to drive then her 13jk. She compares it to driving my power wagon. I just hope we donā€™t have any problems like some have had.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Over 4000 miles and averaging over 29 MPG. I am a big Jeep guy and used to own a '09 JK 2 door but was strongly considering the new Defender or Bronco until the diesel engine option came out. This thing gets better gas mileage than my wife's Rav4 and is a blast to drive.

Congrats!! :rock:

BTW, your garage looks creepy as shit. šŸ‘»:devil::bandit:šŸ˜±

Last edited:

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I've owned 20 different Jeeps in 40 years. My current '20 Diesel Wrangler is easily my favorite one.

Hunter

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I have to ask this and I mean absolutely no disrespect

Why are jeep owners concerned about gas mileage? Is it just a habit to watch the gauge? Personally Ive never driven something so good on gas before. Its amazing the mpg they can squeeze of a box

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Why are jeep owners concerned about gas mileage? Is it just a habit to watch the gauge? Personally Ive never driven something so good on gas before. Its amazing the mpg they can squeeze of a box
Range. At least for me anyway.

Iā€™m surprised my JTRD doesnā€™t get better. Iā€™m only getting 20 mpg after 2500 miles. I added 37ā€™s and the mileage is unchanged though, so thatā€™s at least good.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase

Just because we have Jeeps doesn't mean we are ok with 10 mpg. I mean it should still be something reasonable. I don't want to do a few mods and then all of a sudden be getting under 15mpg. I am ok with 20, not okay with 15. Especially when I have a V6. Plus the better mileage I get the more I save in the long run and the more I can justify putting towards mods to enjoy my jeep even further.

I have 35s and a 2.5" lift and I am getting 15-16 mpg avg which I am not happy about. I have a JLU sport. I recently went to 4.88s and I was able to get over 19mpg for once with an avg of 18 so far in about 5 days of driving it. That mod to me is worth it and will pay itself off a little over time. Jeep is more enjoyable now with the 4.88s.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Just because we have Jeeps doesn't mean we are ok with 10 mpg. I mean it should still be something reasonable. I don't want to do a few mods and then all of a sudden be getting under 15mpg. I am ok with 20, not okay with 15. Especially when I have a V6. Plus the better mileage I get the more I save in the long run and the more I can justify putting towards mods to enjoy my jeep even further.

I have 35s and a 2.5" lift and I am getting 15-16 mpg avg which I am not happy about. I have a JLU sport. I recently went to 4.88s and I was able to get over 19mpg for once with an avg of 18 so far in about 5 days of driving it. That mod to me is worth it and will pay itself off a little over time. Jeep is more enjoyable now with the 4.88s.
Fair point! And now Im curious about your 4.88s. How much of a difference does it make in acceleration before/after? Im running 35s on my sahara but never got to test drive a stock jeep so Ive always wondered about how quick they feel on stock tires.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fair point! And now Im curious about your 4.88s. How much of a difference does it make in acceleration before/after? Im running 35s on my sahara but never got to test drive a stock jeep so Ive always wondered about how quick they feel on stock tires.
I have only had a week with the 4.88s and the 35s. 12,500 miles with the 35s and stock gears prior to switching it up. Pretty big difference from the 3.45s that are stock in the Jeeps we have. I haven't smashed on it yet so I can't comment on how much better the acceleration is but it definitely seems like I have more power as I takeoff. I get more mpg in town and also on the highway so that is nice. Any mods that help pay themselves off by improving mileage is always a plus in my book.

The 35s I have are the milestars which aren't super heavy and I also have 22lb wheels so I still had pretty good driveability with the 35s and the stock gears but the 4.88s are definitely a much better experience.

The diesel sounds like an awesome choice though with that gas mileage. practically 50% gas improvement which alone cuts down on costs in the long run.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
The fuel economy wasn't the draw for me. I pretty well wrote that off when deciding on a Wrangler. Driving the diesel alone was enough of a selling point with it's train like torque. I almost think this thing could climb a wall with the stock 3:73 gears. LOVE IT! BTW, I'm getting 24 with short trips around town (<10 miles). Mileage goes up to around 27-28 when taking longer rides.

Sponsored

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I have had mine for two weeks now and love it. It now has the MOPAR lift and 35's, but I am still getting 22-23 around town. The driveability is why I got it. I love being able to drive down the highway at 70 and not have it shifting constantly because of a little hill or headwind. It is a totally different vehicle from my previous 3.6's.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have had mine for two weeks now and love it. It now has the MOPAR lift and 35's, but I am still getting 22-23 around town. The driveability is why I got it. I love being able to drive down the highway at 70 and not have it shifting constantly because of a little hill or headwind. It is a totally different vehicle from my previous 3.6's.
That is definitely awesome that the Diesel gives you that driveability over the Sports for sure. I had the same issue with the headwind and hills but that seems to be resolved now that I swapped to 4.88s.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

Jeep Wrangler JL Why I bought a Diesel Wrangler IMG_6580
I was considering diesel until the 4xE came out. Wasn't excited about the required 4 doors on either engine choice, but you take what you can get. So.... why did you pick the diesel over the 4xE?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Hey Stellantis.... how bout putting some of these fancy new powertrains in the 2-door? With manual transmissions, while Iā€™m making requests
.... or how about a focus group of Jeep enthusiasts instead of soccer moms?
Sponsored