Sponsored

Why don't more people custom-order their JLs?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I usually order my new vehicles (including two JKs). That way I get them exactly as I want them, and the wait is only about six weeks. Any particular reason that I'm missing? [besides the need for instant gratification]
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
luckly for me, my jl was exactly what i wanted ( base model with 4 options ) was sitting on the lot. which i was surprise. i usually get lucky in finding what i want from searching the inventory.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I usually order my new vehicles (including two JKs). That way I get them exactly as I want them, and the wait is only about six weeks. Any particular reason that I'm missing? [besides the need for instant gratification]
I think a lot of forum members do order. The pricing was better if you ordered when I ordered last March. Mine only took 2 weeks to get here after ordering. I just read about another member getting their Wrangler in 7 days. Crazy!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Most people may not realize you can order exactly what you want. And those that do, assume two things:

1. It is more expensive. Why would a dealer give a discount on something when they have units on the lot?
2. It may take a long time to get one. When someone wants something new, they want it now. Also, when some people decide to buy new vehicles, they feel like their current one is one borrowed time. I know I've been in that spot. I've had friends get their car to a mechanic, do a band-aid repair, and then drive directly to a dealer. Even if it took two weeks to order, you just want to get rid of something you are worried will break down on the road.
3. Its just easier to buy one on the lot. When I tried to order mine, different items were on restriction, like the 3.6L, LEDs, steel bumpers. I've read about others having the same problems, or they can't get body colored tops/fenders at certain times. Some people don't want to deal with potential headaches.

And then there is the fact most people will just compromise. I wanted a well optioned two door Rubicon, which weren't on dealer lots, so I ordered. I wanted Mojito, so I got Mojito. But I admittedly would have compromised on color, or maybe a couple of the options, had dealers had two door Rubis on lots. I wanted a premium soft top, but may have compromised on that as well. Thanks to this forum, I learned that you could order and get a discount. This was a 2nd vehicle for me, so I had time to wait. I ordered in October 2018, and got it in December 2018, took about 8 weeks (I ordered a 2019 before FCA started building 2019s). Someone else I work with ordered and took two weeks.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
I purchased mine used with 8,800 miles on it. It has most everything I would have wanted. No way I could afford a brand new one.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly... mine was sort of a spur of the moment purchase and I wanted instant gratification. Luckily, I found multiple configured how I wanted (I didn't necessarily want Adaptive Cruise, but like it now) in my pick of colors.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
For me, I was in a car wreck and my vehicle was totaled. I was injured and actually had no time to go to various dealerships to test out vehicles. I knew that my new vehicle had to be a jeep wrangler. And when I found out that the color "Mojito" was available, I didn't waste time searching the dealerships online because I knew they wouldn't have what I wanted.

I wanted the most basic (1) Mojito JL Sport Wrangler available. Like...I mean no technology package...I wanted (2) manual windows and locks! I wanted a JL Jeep that sorta reminded me of my dad's old school 1983 CJ-7! Well...the "closest" modern jeep to his LOL! But yeah...I also wanted the (3) beige cloth seats w/the (4) paneled hardtop and a (5) automatic tranny.

Apparently those 5 things, on one Jeep, were not common on the lots because the salesman searched all of Texas for my request and couldn't find one. After he searched for a day, I just asked him to order it. At that point, I wanted to wait as I had to heal for about 2 weeks.

I had no test drive prior to my purchase/order. It took a lil less than a month, if I remember correctly (my build progress is here somewhere on the forums), for mine to be built and transported to my location.

I've had "Lil Hulk" for 1 year and 7 months and I have zero regrets.

Had "Mojito" green not been a color for the wranglers in 2018, I likely would've just purchased something on the lot, as it was a rare color anyway. So the color itself, basically made me order. My buying experience was amazing, and if I have to get a vehicle again, I probably won't waste time looking for what I want on the lots, I'll likely order again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What I find humorous is when people stress themselves to get the best price, but end up taking an option (or likely two) that they wouldn't have included in their custom order.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For me, I was in a car wreck and my vehicle was totaled. I was injured and actually had no time to go to various dealerships to test out vehicles. I knew that my new vehicle had to be a jeep wrangler. And when I found out that the color "Mojito" was available, I didn't waste time searching the dealerships online because I knew they wouldn't have what I wanted.

I wanted the most basic (1) Mojito JL Sport Wrangler available. Like...I mean no technology package...I wanted (2) manual windows and locks! I wanted a JL Jeep that sorta reminded me of my dad's old school 1983 CJ-7! Well...the "closest" modern jeep to his LOL! But yeah...I also wanted the (3) beige cloth seats w/the (4) paneled hardtop and a (5) automatic tranny.

Apparently those 5 things, on one Jeep, were not common on the lots because the salesman searched all of Texas for my request and couldn't find one. After he searched for a day, I just asked him to order it. At that point, I wanted to wait as I had to heal for about 2 weeks.

I had no test drive prior to my purchase/order. It took a lil less than a month, if I remember correctly (my build progress is here somewhere on the forums), for mine to be built and transported to my location.

I've had "Lil Hulk" for 1 year and 7 months and I have zero regrets.

Had "Mojito" green not been a color for the wranglers in 2018, I likely would've just purchased something on the lot, as it was a rare color anyway. So the color itself, basically made me order. My buying experience was amazing, and if I have to get a vehicle again, I probably won't waste time looking for what I want on the lots, I'll likely order again.
Not to mention that fact that your window sticker has: "This vehicle was built especially for Your Name" in the upper right corner. A small thing, but a nice touch.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
What I find humorous is when people stress themselves to get the best price, but end up taking an option (or likely two) that they wouldn't have included in their custom order.
I feel it. I think may of the posters hit the nail on the head tho. People are busy. And not a lot of people will research, especially if they don't plan to keep it forever anyway. Lots of people keep vehicles for a few yrs and then trade them, so they aren't truly vested in it, in the first place.

Also, there is an idea that if you order it, you pay more. I'm not sure how that got started, but it could be from a "logical" sense of "I'll get a better deal because they already have it on the lot"; someone else mentioned this as well. And "custom-made" is always thought of as "more expensive".

Then not having patience...that also goes along with being "busy". The "inconvenience" of having to wait for it, is not ideal, even if people don't truly get what they want.

I understand you 100% but for me, my first vehicle was used, and I loved everything about it. I never owned a new vehicle and after my other got totaled, I just wasn't in the mood for hassles, so "i built" want I wanted on the Jeep website, e-mailed a PDF of it to multiple dealerships, told them I would go with whoever gave me the best deal and one salesman beat out the rest. And voila I had my jeep ordered 2 days after my car was totaled.

IDK if everyone's experience was as hassle-free as mine, but if all order deals happen this way, then it is best to order what you want, IF you can wait for it.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I wanted the most basic (1) Mojito JL Sport Wrangler available. Like...I mean no technology package...I wanted (2) manual windows and locks! I wanted a JL Jeep that sorta reminded me of my dad's old school 1983 CJ-7!

Good thinking!

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I didn't know or even think that you could custom order a vehicle til I read about it on this forum. I custom ordered mine and it was a great experience.
Sponsored