Sponsored

Why don't dealers have email addresses to contact them about ordering a Jeep?

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
I'm starting to think that I'm going about this wrong. After researching for the past few months, and dreaming for a decade, I'm looking to buy a new JL. Pretty particular, probably have to order it. All cash/loan, no trade in.

My idea was to contact three different Jeep dealers and see what kind of offers I can get. Oddly, dealers don't have email addresses listed on their websites? Ended up filling out some online forms and sending them in.

Is this a sound way to do it. Frankly, it seems that they want you to call, and frankly, I'd rather just have in all in writing so I'm getting what I want.

Is my process the right way to go? I haven't bought a new car in 17 years...
Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was in Australia when I ordered mine and did it all over email. I googled the various salesman at the dealer I wanted and found one I liked and emailed him directly. He had the best reviews and reviews mentioned Jeep Wranglers. After a few back and forths he had everything set up by the time I moved back to Utah. When I got here I did a little paperwork and ordered it. Quick and easy.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm starting to think that I'm going about this wrong. After researching for the past few months, and dreaming for a decade, I'm looking to buy a new JL. Pretty particular, probably have to order it. All cash/loan, no trade in.

My idea was to contact three different Jeep dealers and see what kind of offers I can get. Oddly, dealers don't have email addresses listed on their websites? Ended up filling out some online forms and sending them in.

Is this a sound way to do it. Frankly, it seems that they want you to call, and frankly, I'd rather just have in all in writing so I'm getting what I want.

Is my process the right way to go? I haven't bought a new car in 17 years...
Nope, you're 100% correct. Do not give in, you're doing this right for you. This is part of the game for them. A lot of dealers are pretty antiquated- that is, they think their online traffic will translate to people on the lot buying cars. When that doesn't happen (because people comparison shop over the internet), they want you to interact with them; they want you to come on down to the lot, so they can "sell" you on the vehicle. And if you're thinking about backing out, well, they can give you the old full pressure tactic in hopes you'll cave and buy a vehicle from them. If you don't, they want your info so they can spam/ harass you for the next 6 or so months about buying a car. Of course, it's the same dealers who will ignore serious online inquiries when one comes in because "online inquiries don't ever translate into sales". Self fulfilling prophecy when you don't answer back.

Source: I used to work for a Marketing agency that dealt exclusively with car dealers. The sales people (and even IT support people) were constantly fighting some of the most asinine, ass backwards reasoning/ mentality I've ever encountered. Despite all the data put in front of them, and sound marketing advice from marketing professionals familiar with both trends and the industry, they would just close their eyes and run the other way.

Also: I did about 6 months worth of research before talking to dealers. I had to unsubscribe 3-4 times from various dealership mailing lists up to 6 months later after contacting a dealer to ask about a vehicle.
Finally, check out my previous post about buying a Jeep based on my experience.
In short: I was respectful, and reasonable, but didn't put up with any BS, and I refused to set foot on a lot until i had a ballpark price in place for both the Jeep I wanted and my trade value. If a dealer won't do that, then keep looking- there are plenty who are aware of the market and will cut you a deal. My buddy just drove from Albany NY to St. Louis MO to get a Gladiator Rubi because the deal was stupid good, and they gave him the value he wanted for his trade. Good dealers will work with you.

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
Are you in Colorado? I am just finishing up my first Jeep purchase and it has gone very well. Ordered through a South Denver dealership. 11% off MSRP. Handled all by email. 10 minutes at dealership to order. Two hours today to do paperwork. 1.5 of that was waiting on them.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI

Sponsored

OP
OP

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
M
Are you in Colorado? I am just finishing up my first Jeep purchase and it has gone very well. Ordered through a South Denver dealership. 11% off MSRP. Handled all by email. 10 minutes at dealership to order. Two hours today to do paperwork. 1.5 of that was waiting on them.
Yep, Denver. Mind sharing specifics, PM me if you want. Thanks.

Did you just pick one and work them down? I'm looking at a pretty loaded Sahara Altitude, and I figure it would be best to have at least two to compare against each other.

Denver, being so far from other major metros, will a dealer trade with SLC, or KC? Looking at frontrange inventory, I'm really not seeing what I want. JLUSA, AutoV6, Selectrac, LSD, and the Sky View among other things.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Did you check the preferred dealers list for contacts? You can save a lot under invoice going through one of them.

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Sahara 4xE
The dealers in Cincinnati are terrible. I contacted all of them with the basic features I wanted and to simply contact me if they came across one. I got so many generic responses sending me to their online search tool...

I'm sorry but if I'm dropping $50,000 and I know exactly what I want, how are you earning my business? With these things flying off the shelves, the dealers are getting lazy. Little do they know their job won't be around in 15 years. Cant wait to order online

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I would highly recommend visiting this website. Sets you up with contact info for head people at qualified dealerships that don’t waste your time or treat you like trash.

https://www.carprousa.com/

Sponsored

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I started with the online forms, then got an email contact for internet sales and went from there. They'll try and ask you to come in but don't do it. Tell them exactly what you want and if they want your business, they'll work for it. If not, you have to move on to another dealer. If you get an offer, you can use that to shop around and ask if they can beat it with a better deal.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
There are forum friendly dealers in the stickied threads in this section of the forum. Some have provided direct contact information. I’d recommend calling or emailing them, telling them what you’re wanting to do and then going from there.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I did most of the work for my JL through email to my sales guy. I did go in a couple times, one for a test drive and another to pay cash for the deposit. Hell, I negotiated a Mustang through email back in 1999 for a factory order.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I called 4 dealerships, told them what I was interested in buying and that I was going to purchase the JL through whoever could give me the best price. One wasn't interested, the other 3 had me briefly talk with a sales person who then provided me with their email that contained a quote.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
Dealerships want you there in person, so they are in control... sitting at home, you fan fact check everything they say (what's available, what the other dealers are discounting, etc.). I asked one dealership (where I test drove a JL) if they'd match the Koons 8% (FCA affiliate) price. Answer: "We'll match any Jeep programs... when can you come in?" I ordered elsewhere, by emailing the 'Internet Manager' the same question, his answer "Not normally, but you are a repeat customer, so yes, we can do that."
Sponsored