Sponsored

Why don’t some aftermarket front upper control arms have a bend?

Shred303

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR soon, 03 WJ 4.7 H.O. 3” lift
I noticed some aftermarket front upper control arms have a bend and some are straight. Will the straight ones cause bushing/joint bind and premature wear?
Here are screenshots of straight ones(metalcloak) and bent ones(Clayton). It seems about half the manufacturers have a bend, and the other half are straight. Why? Cheaper to make without a bend?

85DD09E0-BAA3-44D8-8512-FE937BB1BB02.jpeg

2E008431-E815-4C6D-A1F0-DADA86DD40E4.jpeg
Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The reason we use bends in our arms, is to not only maintain and improve upon factory specs and design, but also to provide the proper amount of clearance for better joint alignment. Our arms are designed to be able to fit into a stock Jeep and provide you a stronger and adjustable option if that's what you want to use them for, or of course work in perfect conjunction with one of our full kits!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The duroflex joint on the Metalcloak arms is actually welded at an angle to keep the joints aligned vs having a bend in the arm itself. I don't have any clearance issues with my Metalcloak arms.

Although, I would prefer a bend in the arm and the joint be welded straight which would allow you to turn the joint only 180 degrees at a time vs a full 360 like they have now.
Sponsored