multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My first jeep was a Firecracker Red TJ (whatever the equivalent red was called then). It was a bit too conspicuous for my tastes so when I ordered my JL I got it in Ocean Blue, thinking it would help me be a little less noticeable while still being an actual color (as opposed to shades of grey, black, or white which I wouldn’t want).

I was wrong- my jeep is still instantly recognizable because every two door where I work is black, white, or a shade of grey/silver. Most jeeps are four-door anyway so two doors stick out.

In hindsight I wish I had gotten Punk’n. Jeep does offer some pretty good colors on the Wrangler, all things considered… compare the Wrangler to the Wagoneer options. Now THAT’S depressing
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I believe I'm in the minority here, but I would've loved the option of a matte paint.

You would think that the most capable offroad vehicle on the market would come with a stealth/matte paint option from the factory. Especially considering the inevitability that they're going to get much dirtier than most other vehicles.

Not everyone wants a shiny jewel. IMO, matte paint on the Jeep would just look so much cooler and utilitarian. With gloss paint, you're subconsciously going to always want it looking it's "best" & cleanest... at least that's how my brain operates.

Maybe one day if I find a spare kidney on the ground, I will use it to pay to have my Jeep covered in matte PPF ... Rant over
Absolutely would've loved to get a matte grey and would've gladly paid extra for it. Matte black would've looked great too.

No shiny clearcoat, no fancy extra colors mixed in, like the blueish Earl Gray and the brownish Sting-Gray - just a plain, boring flat primer grey like we use on our battleships and fighter jets. For a vehicle with a military heritage, I'm honestly surprised this still isn't a factory option, at least for certain colors.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why doesn’t Jeep offer cool colors? 61ITaC+kgcL

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Absolutely would've loved to get a matte grey and would've gladly paid extra for it. Matte black would've looked great too.

No shiny clearcoat, no fancy extra colors mixed in, like the blueish Earl Gray and the brownish Sting-Gray - just a plain, boring flat primer grey like we use on our battleships and fighter jets. For a vehicle with a military heritage, I'm honestly surprised this still isn't a factory option, at least for certain colors.

Matte paint looks cool in certain applications but it is an absolute bear to actually care for. The slightest contamination by an oily substance and it's ruined. Which is why it's not offered as a factory option by pretty much anyone.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'd love to see them offer some metallics, as well.

I'd especially love a really nice subdued blue, like they've recently offered on the Cherokee and other smaller models.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Hydro, but it's ... very loud. A slightly more blue version of Rhino would be ::chefskiss

Actually, wait, no, I hope they ONLY OFFER CRAPPY COLORS FROM NOW ON so I won't be tempted to trade in my Hydro.

I'll also say that while I generally don't care for the misty-sage of Earl, that color looks absolutely FANTASTIC on the 4xe.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Matte paint looks cool in certain applications but it is an absolute bear to actually care for. The slightest contamination by an oily substance and it's ruined. Which is why it's not offered as a factory option by pretty much anyone.
Good to know. I'm not familiar with matte paint care, but this makes sense. Though still, with all the high-tech machinery available... I'm sure they could figure a solution to offer a factory matte PPF option.

Like AFD said, I would've gladly paid for it. A mass produced, machine-applied PPF would certainly be much cheaper than paying for it to be done by hand at a reputable private shop (around $7k)

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Seems like Jeep keeps a handful of colors as their standards: white, black, shades of gray, and firecracker (or some equivalent) red.

Then for a short time, they'll offer some colors with more personality, but they come and go unpredictably. I dunno. Maybe there's a global supply chain issue with colorful hues. 🤔

Glad I got Snazzberry when it was available two years ago.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Is it just me or does the factory colors jeep offers seem quite underwhelming? Why don’t they offer more metallic paint colors that aren’t just different tones of gray/silver or flat colors.
I hear you.

Color offerings, like all else, are about profit. What colors will sell..how much will they sell...will their presence on the street attract new buyers, even if those buyers don't or can't buy that color (anymore) ...what will it cost to retool "x" number of paint booths in toledo and make that paint available in spray, touchup, and larger batches for the collision industry, which paint booths painting perhaps more conventional colors at the factory will get reassigned.....

Sponsored

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Tuscadero, Chief, Nacho, Gecko, Reign, Hydro, Firecracker, High Velocity, Punk’n, Hella, Snazzberry, Ocean, and — of course — Mojito! say hello.

WTF is the OP talking about?
the have offered some pretty cool colors, (no, high veolcity isn't one of them), but unfortunately, many of them have been in limited production runs.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase

as a Marine, kind of partial to flat, olive drab, or flat gobi, but I get where you're coming from...........

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
wubicon

wubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 LBP S2000, '23 Rubicon 4xe
Tuscadero, Chief, Nacho, Gecko, Reign, Hydro, Firecracker, High Velocity, Punk’n, Hella, Snazzberry, Ocean, and — of course — Mojito! say hello.

WTF is the OP talking about?
not for limited runs but offered all year round. I wouldn’t mind if they charged extra for these special colors but atleast offer them longer than “6 weeks, 4 days”. 😂

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
Seems like Jeep keeps a handful of colors as their standards: white, black, shades of gray, and firecracker (or some equivalent) red.

Then for a short time, they'll offer some colors with more personality, but they come and go unpredictably. I dunno. Maybe there's a global supply chain issue with colorful hues. 🤔

Glad I got Snazzberry when it was available two years ago.
I wanted to get a Snazzberry 2 door with half doors. Was planning on it and then they got rid of Snazzberry. Maybe next time. By then they won't offer half doors...lol

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Sarge Green is all you need.
Sponsored