Sponsored

Why doesn’t shutdown = 2020 MY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
So I know the plant recently shutdown and I guess there was some retooling too? Why doesn’t that translate into a new model year? I clearly don’t understand how these things work. It seems like that’s when you’d introduce changes or new processes or something like that...

Can someone explain it to me? It just doesn’t make sense (to me) to “switch” model years over a weekend or something...
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've no clue, but American manufacturers will typically shut down for a number of weeks during the year for retooling purposes. My suspicions are that they are progressing into the next model year build-outs. Logically I could not see why a manufacturing line would stop for a number of weeks to simply fix something, without making MAJOR (or minor) changes, and/or progressing into a new MY. I think your thought's of a weekend, are more like three weeks, but please don't hold me to it since I've not bothered to pay attention as I've got a 2018 JLUR already.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... I think your thought's of a weekend, are more like three weeks, but please don't hold me to it since I've not bothered to pay attention as I've got a 2018 JLUR already.
He's not implying the shutdown occurs over a weekend, that's how quickly the switch from MY19 to MY20 is. The Shutdown is over, but MY19 is still in production for several more weeks. Having those two things coincide, shutdown = MY changeover, is what would seem logical, but that's clearly not how it works. The OP is asking why they don't coincide.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Having a background in manufacturing, it is not a simple task to get everything lined up at the same time as a shut down to start a new model year.

For instance, you have suppliers that are moving components in, machines require maintenance (and not always at MY cutover), retooling, logistics, demand swings, union requirements, training just to name a few inputs.

Anyway, you can imagine getting all these things to align would be nearly impossible.

That is a few reasons why a shutdown may not always align with a MY cutover.

Sponsored

TPGUNN

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7, 2016 Honda Pilot
7/22/19 starts the 2020 model year build. FYI.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I believe the shutdown was to retool for the hybrid and diesel engines.

A document stated that 2020 would start 7/22 but these dates often change. This would be very early for the wrangler as usually it happens in September. Additionally the 2019s released late so this would make 2019 a very short model run. I'd suspect they will end up pushing the date back.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
IIRC they hybrid and diesel we're both originally slated for 2019 right? I guess they could still get some 19's out the door with these power train options. Otherwise, they could build them now (since the retool) and have them ready for day 1 of the changeover. If you retooled at the changeover, you wouldn't have the inventory.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

According to a memo posted in the thread "UPDATE:Shutdown-JT Order-Strike (post #81), the shut down was to re-tool for the JL "PHEV".

So...maybe we'll be seeing the rumored 3.6 BSG mild hybrid soon...maybe...

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Id go with the it was the change over for the new 3.0 diesel and the Hybrid motors coming out. for 4 quarter of the year. remember once the changes and machines have been updated. there is still training and testing with minor tweaks happening. even after they restart the line thing are gonna take time to make sure all bugs are out of the system. Im just happy the 3.0 is coming out...... now to wait for it to be out and the bugs to be found with the new motor and wait for it in the JT. :) then i can work on the wife to let me get one !

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Adding to the possibilities based on my work in vehicle manufacturing : After making the necessary tooling changes during shutdown, a vehicle manufacture will have numerous new model test runs before going into production. There are different types of test runs for different reasons. Everything from tooling tests, process validations, producing demo models, etc. The production line has to fit all these in among the normal production of the current model.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
Having a background in manufacturing, it is not a simple task to get everything lined up at the same time as a shut down to start a new model year.

For instance, you have suppliers that are moving components in, machines require maintenance (and not always at MY cutover), retooling, logistics, demand swings, union requirements, training just to name a few inputs.

Anyway, you can imagine getting all these things to align would be nearly impossible.

That is a few reasons why a shutdown may not always align with a MY cutover.
IIRC they hybrid and diesel we're both originally slated for 2019 right? I guess they could still get some 19's out the door with these power train options. Otherwise, they could build them now (since the retool) and have them ready for day 1 of the changeover. If you retooled at the changeover, you wouldn't have the inventory.
Adding to the possibilities based on my work in vehicle manufacturing : After making the necessary tooling changes during shutdown, a vehicle manufacture will have numerous new model test runs before going into production. There are different types of test runs for different reasons. Everything from tooling tests, process validations, producing demo models, etc. The production line has to fit all these in among the normal production of the current model.
These reasons make a ton of sense... I have a better idea about it now and really appreciate the perspectives. I didn’t think about them starting to incorporate changes and then working out the kinks before switching over to full-on “go-go-go” production.

So will 2019’s built after restarting “silently” incorporate some 2020 changes (not obvious stuff)? Hmmmm...

LOL, I don’t expect an answer on that one, I know nobody knows and it would just be conjecture, at this point.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
These reasons make a ton of sense... I have a better idea about it now and really appreciate the perspectives. I didn’t think about them starting to incorporate changes and then working out the kinks before switching over to full-on “go-go-go” production.

So will 2019’s built after restarting “silently” incorporate some 2020 changes (not obvious stuff)? Hmmmm...

LOL, I don’t expect an answer on that one, I know nobody knows and it would just be conjecture, at this point.
The answer, I would guess, is... Maybe? I know some people ended up with upgraded axles even though they didn't order them and didn't have the limited slip option. The best anyone could figure out, was that was what was in inventory when their Jeep was being built.

JDulks

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali, 2013 BMW 335i e93
shutdown and retooling is for the plug-in hybrid I believe. Probably a combination of that and the eco diesel engine options. Wondering if they will introduce the bsg 3.6, hopefully it's an options but if that is rolling out too I imagine the non bsg engine will become obsolete.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The best anyone could figure out, was that was what was in inventory when their Jeep was being built.
That's probably the case for the axles. But Model Year is a bit of an artificial construct isn't it? Theoretically there could be trims of 2019MY and 2020MY that use all of the exact same parts.

One thing I'd find interesting, is if the baseline bill of materials changes so that 2019MY uses say, torque converter part # 23489235AB - and the spec for 2020MY says it uses 23489235AC. If they still have a bunch of ABs in stock would they just keep using those?
Sponsored