Sponsored

Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy?

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
If you look at the 2-door JK soft top and the 2-door JL soft top side-by-side, the JL with the top down looks way more messy and less compact.

Why is this? Did jeep engineer it this way intentionally? I think the JK looks way cleaner with the soft top down.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If you look at the 2-door JK soft top and the 2-door JL soft top side-by-side, the JL with the top down looks way more messy and less compact.

Why is this? Did jeep engineer it this way intentionally? I think the JK looks way cleaner with the soft top down.
It sits outside the rear of the vehicle as opposed to in the rear of the vehicle. You have more "trunk" space with the JL. It's a better top, with less noise while up, and also allowing a "safari-style". So, yes, it was engineered to provide a better driving experience. It's also extremely easy to remove in the case you want the cleanest look, sans-top.

Better insulation, wind noise, multiple configurations and easier to remove. All continual improvements.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
It’s one of the reasons I went with the Hard Top this time around. Personal feelings, the JK I thought worked better.

Just my .02

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Agree that it looks pretty messy, but I don't have a problem with it because I drive in safari mode all year long to prevent my bald melon from getting fried. In the few instances when I want to see the sky above, I just flip the sunrider back, which exposes a lot of area for a 2-door. TBH, I think I fold the top completely down once a year to make sure it still works!

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? IMG_5592.JPG

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I've had a LOT of people stop me about "safari" mode, asking me where I bought the top. They are shocked a "stock" top does that.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Agree that it looks pretty messy, but I don't have a problem with it because I drive in safari mode all year long to prevent my bald melon from getting fried. In the few instances when I want to see the sky above, I just flip the sunrider back, which exposes a lot of area for a 2-door. TBH, I think I fold the top completely down once a year to make sure it still works!

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? IMG_5592.JPG
As a fellow bald melon, I support this!

KevinBoston

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler

I know it’s crazy. I went from the jk and could believe how bad the jl top looks down. Almost ridiculous

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link

Well... it is less compact... but I'm not sure what you mean by "messy".

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a LOT of people stop me about "safari" mode, asking me where I bought the top. They are shocked a "stock" top does that.
I've had that happen a lot as well and feel stupid having to tell them that it's a stock config and clearly explained in the owner's manual. Still don't understand why people choose to ignore the manual for a pricey and arguably complex vehicle. To each their own I guess, but if I'm going to drop serious money on anything, I'd want to know everything I possibly can about it, even if I have to read the manual a dozen times. :facepalm:

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Personally I'm a big fan of the Bestop Trektop Slantback.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? IMG_0524.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? IMG_0421.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? img-1690398360387

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Does The 2-Door JL Soft Top With The Top Down Look So Messy? 1707467745439
as a ginger i 100% support this

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
JK soft top was best soft top.

XoEPt8s.jpg
Sponsored