Sponsored

Why does Max Regen feel like I am towing a trailer

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
not sure if others have experienced this - but every time I drive with Max Regen on Jeep feels heavy, as if there is some resistance and it's towing a trailer. As soon as I turn it off - it feels a lot smoother and easy on the pedal. Today I put this to test to see if it's also consuming more power on Max Regen. Did a 10 mile run under the same weather/wind and road condition keeping the speed constant at 45 miles/hr. With the Max Regen OFF the 10 miles used 6 miles of all electric. Taking the same 10 mile route with the Max Regen ON used 11.7 miles of all electric and it felt heavy to drive.

Not understanding the inside engineering - do I have a faulty Max Regen functionality that needs to be looked at?
Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Well it makes sense to me that you would feel resistance when driving with max regen on. EVs generate electricity using friction so yeah, it sounds normal IMO.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
I only notice the friction feel when I take foot off the accelerator. I can't tell any difference while driving down road at 55 with max regen on or off. I can clearly tell when the resistance turns on. I'll barely depress the accelerator just to make sure it doesn't start "braking" sometimes - like when I just barely want to coast a bit going downhill - when not wanting to truly accelerate any more, but not wanting to brake from regen either.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
This is 100% normal. But take a look at this video.

Ever since that video, I see better results with Max regen off. Results may vary

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
not sure if others have experienced this - but every time I drive with Max Regen on Jeep feels heavy, as if there is some resistance and it's towing a trailer. As soon as I turn it off - it feels a lot smoother and easy on the pedal. Today I put this to test to see if it's also consuming more power on Max Regen. Did a 10 mile run under the same weather/wind and road condition keeping the speed constant at 45 miles/hr. With the Max Regen OFF the 10 miles used 6 miles of all electric. Taking the same 10 mile route with the Max Regen ON used 11.7 miles of all electric and it felt heavy to drive.

Not understanding the inside engineering - do I have a faulty Max Regen functionality that needs to be looked at?
By those numbers, seems like a faulty sensor or switch causing inappropriate regeneration when set to Max Regen. But was the 10 miles hilly, or flat?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
You should only feel resistance from the max regen when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you're feeling it while accelerating that does sound like something might be wrong imo.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
This is 100% normal. But take a look at this video.

Ever since that video, I see better results with Max regen off. Results may vary
If you use that efficiency coach then you should get pretty good after a while, then you can use Max Regen and achieve the same efficiency levels.

The great thing about a PHEV is that it can teach good EV driving habits and then when you get a full BEV you will be a very efficient driver.

Our Ford C-Max Energi PHEV, Focus Electric BEV and Mach-E BEV all have a brake coach that gives you a brake score after each stop (if you have that setting enabled). A 100% score means you recovered the maximum amount of energy possible from that particular stopping event.

My scores were pretty bad at first then after a while I was able to see 100% scores almost every time.
Then I get my Mach-E and end up with a little over 305 miles of range on a full charge when the EPA says 270 miles. About 11 or 12% improvement just by following the brake coach.

As far as I can tell, using Max Regen in the 4xe just changes the accelerator pedal mapping to allow Max regen and can also blend in the friction brakes. If used aggressively then the friction brakes will blend in and create heat which is wasted energy.
Sponsored