Sponsored

Why do you need the Safety Group to order the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group?

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
@R3TRO it's not that I don't want LED lighting. I do. It just seems like $945 is an awful high amount to pay for 2 headlights and 2 fog lights (LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group). So I was thinking order Jeep without the package and add aftermarket parts. BUT then I did a little research and found out that the newer Wranglers use CANbus. I have never had a vehicle with CANbus so I am in unknown territory and it made me wonder is it just plug and play aftermarket parts. It sounds like maybe not? So would you say it will be a lot less grief to just order the vehicle with the LEDs?
Well it cost me about $500 to swap out the RAMs head/fog light plus add CANbus. And about 3 hours of my time to swap all the lamps and add the CANbus and route/waterproff/hide the wires. I personally would just spend the $950 and call it a day!
Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Well it cost me about $500 to swap out the RAMs head/fog light plus add CANbus. And about 3 hours of my time to swap all the lamps and add the CANbus and route/waterproff/hide the wires. I personally would just spend the $950 and call it a day!
@R3TRO I ordered my JLU yesterday...with the LED lighting package. :) Thank you for all the tips!

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Not to add more confusion... but looking at a 2021 Willys. The Willys comes with LED headlights as standard. Looking at the build I an option to add "led headlamp and fog lamp group". That's confusing, if standard, what exactly is this adding? Can someone explain the standard WIllys LEDs vs the $945 LED headlamp and foglamp group upgrade?

WIllys comes standard with LED lights, confused about the below:
*LED group option $945: *
- Daytime Runnin Lamp LED Accents = fender LEDs? or what?
- Front LED Fog Lamps are obviously LED fog bulbs.
- LED Preimum Reflector Headlamps... How is this any different than the standard Willys LEDs?

To add even more confusion the LED group is also available on the sport s for the same price however is missing the DRL Accent portion of the option.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
On the Sport, I don't think the LED package makes financial sense anymore.

Formerly, when you could get the LED headlights and foglights for $945, the argument was there. Quality aftermarket options generally run $700-$1000 plus installation (time or money) so why not just get them from the factory, right? BUT now it costs almost $2k...now it makes a lot more sense to just get the aftermarket options. I mean the Mopar LEDs are a major improvement over halogens but Oracle, Profile and Morimoto all offer superior products for less money. Even if you have to pay someone to install them you'll get better lighting cheaper.

That's what I decided to do on my JLU 80th. I skipped the LED package, and just bought the following:

Oracle Oculus LED Projector Headlights ($487 on black friday sale)
Oracle 20W High Output LED Foglights ($114 on black friday sale)
Morimoto XB LED DRLs ($200 on black friday sale)
Ebay LED Tallights ($102)

I will be installing them tomorrow. So altogether i'm paying $903 to get better lighting than I would have paid almost $2k for from the factory.

I just want to re-iterate that this only appears to be the case for the Sports. Sahara and Rubicon have a different value equation.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Not to add more confusion... but looking at a 2021 Willys. The Willys comes with LED headlights as standard. Looking at the build I an option to add "led headlamp and fog lamp group". That's confusing, if standard, what exactly is this adding? Can someone explain the standard WIllys LEDs vs the $945 LED headlamp and foglamp group upgrade?

- LED Preimum Reflector Headlamps... How is this any different than the standard Willys LEDs?

To add even more confusion the LED group is also available on the sport s for the same price however is missing the DRL Accent portion of the option.
I have a 2021 Willys and it does come standard with the LED headlights (and the DRL halo rings), LED fog lights, and LED front side markers. The turn signals look to be regular incadecent bulbs. Rear tail lights are also standard incadecent. With that said, I am not sure why they are giving you an option to add that package.

Sponsored

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I have a 2021 Willys and it does come standard with the LED headlights (and the DRL halo rings), LED fog lights, and LED front side markers. The turn signals look to be regular incadecent bulbs. Rear tail lights are also standard incadecent. With that said, I am not sure why they are giving you an option to add that package.
Thanks! Starting to think maybe I found a glitch on the site? Wonder what "LED DRL Accents" mean

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I'm guessing those are the "halo" rings that come on for the daytime running lights.
Ah ok maybe. So your 2021 Willy came standard with full LEDs including head lights, Halo DRL, DRL, and fogs? How about the Fender lights are those DRLs too?

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Per the Customer Preferred Code Guide the Willys comes with LED lights standard but not the Willys Sport. Probably a glitch in the online builder tool. I've seen a couple here and there.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Sport, I don't think the LED package makes financial sense anymore.

Formerly, when you could get the LED headlights and foglights for $945, the argument was there. Quality aftermarket options generally run $700-$1000 plus installation (time or money) so why not just get them from the factory, right? BUT now it costs almost $2k...now it makes a lot more sense to just get the aftermarket options. I mean the Mopar LEDs are a major improvement over halogens but Oracle, Profile and Morimoto all offer superior products for less money. Even if you have to pay someone to install them you'll get better lighting cheaper.

That's what I decided to do on my JLU 80th. I skipped the LED package, and just bought the following:

Oracle Oculus LED Projector Headlights ($487 on black friday sale)
Oracle 20W High Output LED Foglights ($114 on black friday sale)
Morimoto XB LED DRLs ($200 on black friday sale)
Ebay LED Tallights ($102)

I will be installing them tomorrow. So altogether i'm paying $903 to get better lighting than I would have paid almost $2k for from the factory.

I just want to re-iterate that this only appears to be the case for the Sports. Sahara and Rubicon have a different value equation.
I get your point. I didn't mind the extra options so adding the Safety Group was not a big deal for me. I also heard of issues with aftermarket lights throwing codes and other issues related to the CANbus that I just didn't want to have to hassle with if true. But if I felt I had the free time to do the install myself, etc I would have joined you in your choice.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I get your point. I didn't mind the extra options so adding the Safety Group was not a big deal for me. I also heard of issues with aftermarket lights throwing codes and other issues related to the CANbus that I just didn't want to have to hassle with if true. But if I felt I had the free time to do the install myself, etc I would have joined you in your choice.
Yeah I was assuming we were speaking from the perspective of JUST getting LEDs. If you actually WANT the blind spot system then you definitely want the safety package cause i'm not sure if you can even add the blind spot system post-factory and if you can it's definitely a PITA.

The LED headlight install has got to be the easiest install i've ever done...remove grill, three bolts for each lamp, unplug/re-plug, and then re-assemble. I did the Oculus system last night in about 20 minutes and I didn't even have to aim them, they were dead-on from the factory. HOWEVER, the fender DRL lights are a massive PITA. No easy way to do them. I installed the Morimoto XB units yesterday afternoon, took about 4 hours.
Sponsored