Sponsored

Why do you need the Safety Group to order the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Anyone know why you need the Safety Group to order the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group on an 80th Anniversary?

And while we are at it any opinion on the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group?

Is it better to go with this OEM package or just add aftermarket LEDs later?
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a Mazda in 2006 and had to order the 6 disc CD changer to be able to order the sunroof. 🤷‍♂️

I think the LED group is awesome. Love the lights and I feel that package is a good value. (At least when I ordered my 2019 in Sept of 2018)

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
Get the LEDs. Don’t think twice about it

Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it is because the safety group includes LED tail lights.
Maybe, but why not just be able to get LED headlights and fog lights without LED taillights?
I am wondering if there is some wiring harness or something needed for the LED lights that gets installed with the Safety Group.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I am wondering if there is some wiring harness or something needed for the LED lights that gets installed with the Safety Group.
I would guess not since it seem like you can the sport s with just LED headlights/fog lights. It is probably how Jeep felt like doing it (or it could also be a glitch in the online configuration.) My last new car I have bought are Subaru and Toyota who bundle everything. With Subaru I bought if I want the upgrade engine, I am forced to get all the options except navigation. With Toyota, it was sunroof and $6k option bundle package. If you want heated seats, you to keyless entry, leather, Nav, safety group, etc. I am happy to see with Jeep that most options are available separately and not bundled.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
First off I don't think I'd get a car without LEDs ever again. I have a RAM 1500 that came with halogens and was so disappointed by the light output I changed out the headlights/fogs to LEDs. Was a PITA to do it correctly. Was expensive. Had to aim them. Had to use a CANbus so it wouldn't flicker or throw a code. But in the end made such a big difference. The halogens were downright dangerous on dimly light streets.

So I made sure my WILLYS came with the LED package and it does not disappoint. Nice bright wide throw, especially when used with fog lights. I never feel the need to use the highs. Whether you think you need LED tails for not, they do look pretty cool and are that much more noticeable to those behind you.

Just my $.02

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off I don't think I'd get a car without LEDs ever again. I have a RAM 1500 that came with halogens and was so disappointed by the light output I changed out the headlights/fogs to LEDs. Was a PITA to do it correctly. Was expensive. Had to aim them. Had to use a CANbus so it wouldn't flicker or throw a code. But in the end made such a big difference. The halogens were downright dangerous on dimly light streets.

So I made sure my WILLYS came with the LED package and it does not disappoint. Nice bright wide throw, especially when used with fog lights. I never feel the need to use the highs. Whether you think you need LED tails for not, they do look pretty cool and are that much more noticeable to those behind you.

Just my $.02
@R3TRO it's not that I don't want LED lighting. I do. It just seems like $945 is an awful high amount to pay for 2 headlights and 2 fog lights (LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group). So I was thinking order Jeep without the package and add aftermarket parts. BUT then I did a little research and found out that the newer Wranglers use CANbus. I have never had a vehicle with CANbus so I am in unknown territory and it made me wonder is it just plug and play aftermarket parts. It sounds like maybe not? So would you say it will be a lot less grief to just order the vehicle with the LEDs?

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
2018 Sahara 6sp, I replaced all external bulbs with LED's from diode dynamics, including their yellow fog SS3 pods and the clear side markers. Didn't wanna mess with the resistors, so didnt install them. Some codes are thrown but the lightsa function and blink as intended on the outside of the Jeep. Also DRLs dont come on automatically anymore, but I just turn on parking lights in certain situations. Also now my fender lights remain on when using headlights which I like. My dealer passed it for inspection no prob. But if going new, just get the LED package, which should be standard for how exspensive these things are getting

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Most of the factory options are priced high. But I did not want to deal with adding them later. I have the LED package without the safety package on my 2019. Is that just the 80th anniversary edition issue?

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara 6sp, I replaced all external bulbs with LED's from diode dynamics, including their yellow fog SS3 pods and the clear side markers. Didn't wanna mess with the resistors, so didnt install them. Some codes are thrown but the lightsa function and blink as intended on the outside of the Jeep. Also DRLs dont come on automatically anymore, but I just turn on parking lights in certain situations. Also now my fender lights remain on when using headlights which I like. My dealer passed it for inspection no prob. But if going new, just get the LED package, which should be standard for how exspensive these things are getting
Thanks for the tips. And yes agree they should be included...oh well...it's a Jeep thing. ;-)

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the factory options are priced high. But I did not want to deal with adding them later. I have the LED package without the safety package on my 2019. Is that just the 80th anniversary edition issue?
Yeah might be an 80th Anniversary thing, or maybe the web site builder has a bug. I'll find out later when the dealer places the order for me.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
@R3TROIt just seems like $945 is an awful high amount to pay for 2 headlights and 2 fog lights (LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group).
I think its a good value. LED Group seems to be the one option that many folks are sorry they didn't get. I would like to see the taillights included for those that do not want the other items in the Safety Group.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think its a good value. LED Group seems to be the one option that many folks are sorry they didn't get. I would like to see the taillights included for those that do not want the other items in the Safety Group.
Yeah the packages are a little odd...on other models (like the Sahara I think?) you can get the LED lighting package which includes headlights and taillights.
Sponsored