Why do tires turn blue?

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don’t use any kind of tire treatment for appearance other than a scrub brush. When I let mud dry on my tires, they turn blue under the mud. It comes off with the usual scrub, just curious about why.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Rubber is naturally white, so the black we are so accustomed to seeing is "dyed" or more specifically a result of carbon black added during the manufacturing process to increase wear. I suspect you're seeing a chemical reaction between the carbon and minerals in the mud. An "oxidation" of sorts, I guess, which is why you can wash it off.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I like the first answer but the second answer makes more sense. I have never noticed that before.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
LOL, I have to agree that the smurf is a better answer.

OP
OP
WagzDad

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It’s not just the current tires. It’s been atv and utv Tire’s as well as vehicle at & mt. Must be something in the local soil.

after you mentioned that rubber gets colored, I remember a few years that there was motorcycle tires available in several colors. They also tried using different color rubber in the final layer of wear as a safety indicator...apparently that didn’t go anywhere.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

It’s not just the current tires. It’s been atv and utv Tire’s as well as vehicle at & mt. Must be something in the local soil.

after you mentioned that rubber gets colored, I remember a few years that there was motorcycle tires available in several colors. They also tried using different color rubber in the final layer of wear as a safety indicator...apparently that didn’t go anywhere.
...and don’t forget the colored smoke tires for colorful burnouts!
Sponsored