treesmacker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0, 2013 Honda Accord V6
@treesmacker

How do you come up with the idea that 8,000 mi. later you are going to be " at their door tomorrow getting this corrected."

They will tell you to pound sand is my guess....

Just go get another Wave oil change.

Let them know you want 5 qts. this time and no more...

Print out what I posted in about the 5 qts., two posts up. Politely and calmy, ask to speak to the Service Manager. (not the Service Writer)

Tell the SM what is on your mind, but do not expect that after 8,000 mi. and your next oil change is do that he / his dealership is going to eat an oil change.

Try not to ruin your relationship with that particular Service Dept. unless you have a know better one nearby...
Well, it is not 8,000 miles later, just 3,000. Still a lot, I understand. From now on I'll be checking the dipstick before pulling away from the dealership. I have lifetime Wave oil changes, so I'm not sure how they'll handle that.

I will approach them without anger and in a nice way. I'll talk with the service manager and ask them if they have a record of how many quarts were indicated on the paperwork (I'm still looking for my copy).

I don't think what you posted above is applicable as it is for the 3.6 and I have the 2.0, though it may be for similar reason.

I have no intention of approaching in a manner that may jeopardize my relationship with the dealer; that is why I will not be taking my wife with me.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thank you again. You’re awesome!
@Jazzicon

There are also other brand oil drain valves. What is especially nice about the Fumoto is that you can leave the drain tube attached/in place all the time... and just tuck it up .

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, it is not 8,000 miles later, just 3,000. Still a lot, I understand. From now on I'll be checking the dipstick before pulling away from the dealership. I have lifetime Wave oil changes, so I'm not sure how they'll handle that.

I will approach them without anger and in a nice way. I'll talk with the service manager and ask them if they have a record of how many quarts were indicated on the paperwork (I'm still looking for my copy).

I don't think what you posted above is applicable as it is for the 3.6 and I have the 2.0, though it may be for similar reason.

I have no intention of approaching in a manner that may jeopardize my relationship with the dealer; that is why I will not be taking my wife with me.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Yes, not applicable.... did not see you had a 2.0. Regardless, as you know the fill is 5 qts.

I thought you said 8,000.... I missed the <.

Anyway, my guess is the SM will just want to do another Wave oil change..

Ya never know though.

Wive's.... been there done that x 2 ...

treesmacker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0, 2013 Honda Accord V6
Mine looks like your "warm" photo when I check it after sitting over night (cold). That's with exactly 5 quarts added after changing the oil and filter. It's been that way since I got it, and through 2 oil change so far. I have the 2.0T.
So, I wonder what yours looks like then when checked per the owner's manual, when warm?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So, I wonder what yours looks like then when checked per the owner's manual, when warm?
I'll check it tonight and see :) I change the oil myself so I know there's exactly 5 quarts in there, and the level doesn't drop at all between changes. I like using a cold check mainly as a reference point for consumption as it's very consistent after sitting overnight and if it's using any it would be more obvious.

Sponsored

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
I’ve gone down this road with my local dealerships, even going as far as talking to the service tech. THEIR tech manuals state 5.8 quarts for a fill, yet our owners manual states 5 quarts. They follow their books blindly no matter what they say.

OP
OP
David P.

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ve gone down this road with my local dealerships, even going as far as talking to the service tech. THEIR tech manuals state 5.8 quarts for a fill, yet our owners manual states 5 quarts. They follow their books blindly no matter what they say.
Yep it’s in their shop monkey app

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I don't know if that's blindly. If something comes back, they can say they followed FCA/Stellantis guidelines, not an armchair grease monkey's opinion. They go by their tech manuals, because they are "tech"nically what they are supposed to go by.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I checked it warm tonight, and without getting out a ruler I'd say the level is awfully close to the cold overnight level. Maybe a tiny bit higher, but they are pretty close.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The problem with this is that it isn’t true. They aren’t looking at a tech manual at all.

Sponsored

ratcat

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S
Mine looks like your "warm" photo when I check it after sitting over night (cold). That's with exactly 5 quarts added after changing the oil and filter. It's been that way since I got it, and through 2 oil change so far. I have the 2.0T.
I just got a new JLU Sport S. It has 1000 miles and I decided to check the oil. Just like you I saw the oil at least 1 quart above the top full mark. I figured it was overfilled and drained 1 quart getting it to the very top mark. Now I wonder if I just need to go ahead and change it to see where normal is. Geez, how can they make something so simple be such a pain? Cheers an thanks for the info.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Jeffery, so it came from the factory like that???

G.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just got a new JLU Sport S. It has 1000 miles and I decided to check the oil. Just like you I saw the oil at least 1 quart above the top full mark. I figured it was overfilled and drained 1 quart getting it to the very top mark. Now I wonder if I just need to go ahead and change it to see where normal is. Geez, how can they make something so simple be such a pain? Cheers an thanks for the info.
If you put 5 quarts in it, there are 5 quarts in it. The end user keeps making this too difficult.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have changed my oii 5 times so far on mine, exactly 5 quarts poured in each time. It's always at the same level on the dipstick, which is over the "full" mark by 3/8" or so? It came that way when it was new as well. Just the nature of the beast I think.

ratcat

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S
If you put 5 quarts in it, there are 5 quarts in it. The end user keeps making this too difficult.

Ok. As i stated I haven't changed the oil yet. It's brand new, and I just think the dipstick should give an accurate reading, but if I find that it doesn't I'll deal with it. I've had lots of cars and this is the first one where the hash marks on the dipstick don't correspond to properly serviced oil.
Sponsored