David P.

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
they have, his cell phone monkey software is not approved fca software. He should go with service manual. Just like I said, he’s lying to you. He know damn well he should go by service manual not his monkey “bible” and no dealer is telling their monkey mechanics to go by some monkey app to do repair and maintenance. See, they lack integrity, they will swear on their mother and lie straight to your face and not feel shamed.
Yeah he was full of shit. I asked for a 5 wheel tire rotation, told the service guy that I knew Jeep wave only covered a 4 wheel, so I offered to pay for the rotation myself out of pocket.

He said yep, we always do 4 even though Jeep waive only says 4.

again, I offered to pay two more times, he said nope we’ll do it, no problem.

Picked it up, that’s when I had the long 5 vs 6 qt discussion with the tech. He was selling me, saying he’s done hundreds and hundreds yadda yadda,reassumed me andsaid if you ever need anything, talk to me I’ll be the only one that works on your Jeep. That’s when he showed me his cell phone and his bible.

driving off, it didn’t sit right with me. I pulled over and looked at the 5th tire. Yep! New rubber still.
Walked around and felt the tread on all the tires, yep, old rubber.

I went back, apologized for “being that guy” but told the service rep the 5th tire wasn’t rotated. It was right before closing.

15 mins or so later, the same Tech drive my Jeep back up front and apologizes to me. He was afast talker and kind of mumbled. Didn’t have an explanation...but hear him say something like.... “so did ya chalk the tire?” or something.

He just apologized a lot and kept shaking my hand and had this pissed grin on his face.

I mean, if it were my second rotation, yeah I’d need to chalk the spare to tell myself, but come on, new rubber?
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Another data point since this thread is newer-ish. Jeep service departments are still filling with 6qts.

The service dept in McKinney filled to 6qts, showed me the paperwork, I explained to the cashier that my rig needs 5. She called the service advisor and he said it needs 6. I showed him the manual and he disappeared with the paperwork for a few minutes.

he came back with the updated paperwork showing five and said he spoke to the tech who said he filled it with five quarts. I pulled the dipstick and sure enough, it was filled to six quarts.

I drove down to the Frisco service dept, spoke with another service advisor who said it’s six quarts. Again, I showed him the manual and asked that one of their techs burn one of my Jeep wave slots and drain the excess. They took care of it for me.

I suppose for anyone reading this, they’ll want to know if adding too much oil to an engine is bad? It is, here are some reasons why: excess oil can find its way into the engine camshaft. As the camshaft spins, the oil spins and become frothy. This can build up and impair proper functioning.

Excess oil can find itself in places where it shouldn’t be, leading to all kinds of problems. At the very least, it can cause oil seals to break, resulting in oil leaks. Overall, it’s a bad idea to overfill the engine. Just as bad as under filling the engine.

5qts is what Jeep came with from the factory, 5qts is what it needs. Not more, not less. Got all that @JeepCares?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Another data point since this thread is newer-ish. Jeep service departments are still filling with 6qts.

The service dept in McKinney filled to 6qts, showed me the paperwork, I explained to the cashier that my rig needs 5. She called the service advisor and he said it needs 6. I showed him the manual and he disappeared with the paperwork for a few minutes.

he came back with the updated paperwork showing five and said he spoke to the tech who said he filled it with five quarts. I pulled the dipstick and sure enough, it was filled to six quarts.

I drove down to the Frisco service dept, spoke with another service advisor who said it’s six quarts. Again, I showed him the manual and asked that one of their techs burn one of my Jeep wave slots and drain the excess. They took care of it for me.

I suppose for anyone reading this, they’ll want to know if adding too much oil to an engine is bad? It is, here are some reasons why: excess oil can find its way into the engine camshaft. As the camshaft spins, the oil spins and become frothy. This can build up and impair proper functioning.

Excess oil can find itself in places where it shouldn’t be, leading to all kinds of problems. At the very least, it can cause oil seals to break, resulting in oil leaks. Overall, it’s a bad idea to overfill the engine. Just as bad as under filling the engine.

5qts is what Jeep came with from the factory, 5qts is what it needs. Not more, not less. Got all that @JeepCares?
Crankshaft. Aerates the oil by windage which gives it less load carrying ability (air is compressible) at the bearings and can let the journals contact the bearing.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I could be wrong but I thought I read once that engineers purposely designed the engine to operate just fine +/- a quart?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I could be wrong but I thought I read once that engineers purposely designed the engine to operate just fine +/- a quart?
I’d remove the + on your post and I’d agree more.

If you were a quart low, run it at sub 3k rpms/normal street driving and it’ll get you to the store to buy another quart with no damage. IOW, don’t run high rpm and suck the sump dry.

Sponsored

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
If the dealer's tech is writing up 6 quarts on very oil change maybe he is calculating for every 5 or 6 cars he gets the oil to do oil change and doesn't pay for the oil.

If you are paying or the oil he get additional dollars to dealer. If your vehicle only requires 5 quarts only put in 5 quarts.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
If the dealer's tech is writing up 6 quarts on very oil change maybe he is calculating for every 5 or 6 cars he gets the oil to do oil change and doesn't pay for the oil.

If you are paying or the oil he get additional dollars to dealer. If your vehicle only requires 5 quarts only put in 5 quarts.
Smh. If that’s a common practice, then that’s the dealer screwing over the brand.

However, I think it’s more so common ignorance on the tech and service advisor’s behalf. Checking the dipstick makes it all worthwhile.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
If it makes you feel better my 88 v12 jag takes 10ish litres of oil and almost 12 liters of transmission fluid in a full flush lol

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Sorry, 5 quarts plus oil for the filter - I estimated the extra 0.5 qt.

I still wonder how can dealerships use software that tells them 6 quarts almost 5 years into a new model, while still being reimbursed for warranty work from Jeep?
CA8B0382-3E9C-414D-8532-84BB7D642C59.png
The link you posted clearly says 5 qts with filter. Why are you adding another 0.5 qts?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

The Pentastar is designed to withstand - or + 1 quart of oil, or 4-6 quarts. It’s not going to do damage. It’s definitely not preferable though and should be avoided regardless. Especially from “professionals” who are paid to do a job right.

It does show that “free” oil isn’t exactly free. Between buying oil on sale or clearance and buying filters online, my average oil change costs a little over $15 for name brand synthetic and good filters. Well worth it to not deal with the dealership in any way.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Man, all of this arguing and driving back and forth. As I've said before, this is the easiest vehicle to change oil on. I can change it and clean up quicker than it takes just to drive to the dealer, much less wait, check their work then drive home. I don't care that it costs more, don't care about my "Wave" changes, just want it done right.

I don't even have to get ramps out. Drian the pan, and pull the filter while the pan is draining. Replace the filter, replace the pan plug and dump a 5 qt bottle of synthetic oil in. Done. Next, pour the drained oil into the 5qt jug and set it aside for the next time I make a trip to recycle it. All of this takes about 20 minutes. I always have what I need on hand for an oil change as I pick that stuff up when I get a chance, not on the day of the oil change.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I am a Parts Director at a large Auto Mall, one of the brands I run is CDJR. We have a Gas oil grease account that goes through the parts department, never seen an RO with more than 5 quarts on a 3.6 or a 2.0. I have quarts for back up just in case our tank runs dry, oil has been hard to get in bulk lately and we always give out 5 quarts on the oil changes when it does.

I love reading the dealer stories on here though. lol . A lot of these dealers are mismanaged, best place to get your wave services done are large volume dealers, they can actually hit the marks that FCA (Stellantis) sets for them and they get back end money for retention.

Small to midsize dealers are pretty much phased out of FCA bonus programs cause they can't get the volume, so most likely they are understaffed and don't have experienced personnel. Qualified writers and leveled techs want to go where they can make money. There are exceptions to this of course, but doing this for 22 years, that is what I noticed.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Man, all of this arguing and driving back and forth. As I've said before, this is the easiest vehicle to change oil on. I can change it and clean up quicker than it takes just to drive to the dealer, much less wait, check their work then drive home. I don't care that it costs more, don't care about my "Wave" changes, just want it done right.

I don't even have to get ramps out. Drian the pan, and pull the filter while the pan is draining. Replace the filter, replace the pan plug and dump a 5 qt bottle of synthetic oil in. Done. Next, pour the drained oil into the 5qt jug and set it aside for the next time I make a trip to recycle it. All of this takes about 20 minutes. I always have what I need on hand for an oil change as I pick that stuff up when I get a chance, not on the day of the oil change.
indeed, I buy oil and filter on Amazon, and the oil change itself only took about 10 minutes. So easy, no waiting no bs. Saved me so much headache and time.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
If it makes you feel better my 88 v12 jag takes 10ish litres of oil and almost 12 liters of transmission fluid in a full flush lol
It does and I do. :involve: And did you know that you can save 15% or more on car insurance by switching to GEICO?
Small to midsize dealers are pretty much phased out of FCA bonus programs
Interesting.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
And this is why I will always change my own oil and rotate my own tires until I'm too old to do so :).

I know exactly how much I put in, what brand and what weight. All of those are unknowns when you let some greasy chimp do it. And I know the tires were properly rotated.
Sponsored