Why did you choose that color? w/pics

JahRomo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Sting Gray... its a color that blends well with Nature... The Jeeps not the focal point. Where it transports you is...

671F3A41-906A-48CB-88A3-140E4BC089B4.jpeg
love your fenders. My color options were based on "don't wants". No black, white or fluorescent. Basically left gray & granite, but I am so happy with the gray. Just want WildBlue's fenders.
Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
love your fenders. My color options were based on "don't wants". No black, white or fluorescent. Basically left gray & granite, but I am so happy with the gray. Just want WildBlue's fenders.
Being a first time Jeep owner I leaned heavily towards the traditional black fenders but I decided that if I didn’t like the colored ones... I’ll Paint Em Black... I like the painted fenders but I also think the black ones look great too!

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Earlier cars were white, later were black. I wanted to shake things up a bit.

While in between Wranglers (traded my JK for a family friendly car, when my daughter was born), I was eyeing used YJ/TJ to scratch that Wrangler itch and saw quite a few orange I liked. Fortunately JL info surfaced, which kept me at bay and allowed me to wait.

I hesitated between Punk'N and Mojito, but I was already leaning toward orange. I ordered a Punk'N JLU Sahara and traded in my car. I am quite happy with it.

I figured if I ever get bored of the colour, Wrangler hold their value so well, I'll just trade it in for another one.

JeepSerenity

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I got mine early February '18. Transmission on my daily driver went out so I had to go with the only Sport S they had on the lot. Granite crystal metallic is what I have.. but if I could have chosen it would be Mojito. Guess I'll trade mine in for whatever crazy color comes on the diesel.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I also went with granite crystal metallic, although my heart is still with 2014 color copperhead pearlcoat (burrnt orange). Maybe I’ll have it painted one day.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why did you choose that color? w/pics D92CC1B3-E40E-47FB-B843-BD0D1D769430

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maxdady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon
I was honestly thinking 1 Punk'n, 2 White, 3 Red. Sting Gray wasn't even on my list...until I saw it in person, on a JLUR optioned nearly 100% like I would have built it, sitting in the back lot of our local dealer. Love at first sight. Saw him Thursday afternoon, purchased Saturday morning, Roaming Lake Lahontan Saturday afternoon. Love my JL.
-H

20180923_133126.jpg

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Honestly the only color I don't care for is Red (personal preference) and I wanted black interior. I went looking for Moabs specifically and only local dealer with them in stock had Gray, White, Blue and Red. The only one with a black interior was blue and when i saw it in person I was really impressed, so I bought it :)

IMG_0153 copy.jpg
P1023506.jpeg

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
If I had been ordering, I NEVER would have chosen white. However, I stopped by the Jeep dealership solely to get the lifelong dream of owning a Wrangler out of my system. (I was driving a very loaded, very plush, very practical Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi engine.) Since I had no plans to buy any new vehicle for a few more years, I was completely oblivious that the JL was even released. I pulled in the lot because the chief blue and purple JKs were on the end (two of the colors I thought I would own).

Well, there were 3 white Rubicons on the lot. One was already sold. One had a tan interior, which I didn't want. The saleslady said a new one had arrived that was still on the back lot. I got in and saw the black and red interior and instantly fell in love. (I have wanted a black and red interior since way back when the Range Rover Evoque was first released.)

All of the black and red accents on the outside (decals and hood vents) really popped against the white background. I looked at every color on the lot repeatedly, including the blue and purple JKs, and I just could not imagine liking anything more.

While I was signing paperwork, three other people tried to buy her. I have zero regrets about getting a color that I thought I didn't ever want.

(If I was not getting a Rubicon, I probably would have ordered yellow.)

20181202_172737.jpg

mizzoujake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude
If I had been ordering, I NEVER would have chosen white. However, I stopped by the Jeep dealership solely to get the lifelong dream of owning a Wrangler out of my system. (I was driving a very loaded, very plush, very practical Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi engine.) Since I had no plans to buy any new vehicle for a few more years, I was completely oblivious that the JL was even released. I pulled in the lot because the chief blue and purple JKs were on the end (two of the colors I thought I would own).

Well, there were 3 white Rubicons on the lot. One was already sold. One had a tan interior, which I didn't want. The saleslady said a new one had arrived that was still on the back lot. I got in and saw the black and red interior and instantly fell in love. (I have wanted a black and red interior since way back when the Range Rover Evoque was first released.)

All of the black and red accents on the outside (decals and hood vents) really popped against the white background. I looked at every color on the lot repeatedly, including the blue and purple JKs, and I just could not imagine liking anything more.

While I was signing paperwork, three other people tried to buy her. I have zero regrets about getting a color that I thought I didn't ever want.

20181202_172737.jpg
that license plate... :)

Sponsored

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler

20181202_172737.jpg
Same as me. I had zero intentions on a white Jeep and both times I test drove I got white ones and thought it looked amazing

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
I really wanted Nacho but then they cancelled it.

Once I saw Sting-Gray I knew that was my color. I love how it looks in the sunlight. I also love how the red and black accents pop on this color.

20180710_134919.jpg

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
Placed a 2019 Hella Yella JLUR factory order back in Nov which was not my first choice when I went to the dealership. I owned a Crush JKU and that was a tough decision when I placed that order back in 2013. I was torn between Gecko, Dozer and Crush, but extremely glad I decided on Crush. One part of owning a Jeep is to have an unique color as well.

So when I went to place my 2019 order, I was intending to go with Punk'd. One factor that weighed on my mind was people asking why I ordered another Orange. My wife really liked the Mojito! (which I did not) and I was kinda interested in the Firecracker Red and the Hella Yella if I wasn't going with Orange. Spent countless hours looking through the color forum threads. I brought a buddy (who had a Gecko JKU) with me to help finalize my color choice.

When we arrived, they had a Sport Punk'd parked next to a Rubi Hella Yella. I was actually drawn to the Hella Yella, but when a Rubi Punk'd pulled up from a test drive, we were drawn to that as well. We walked around the dealership looking at other colors. I liked Sting Gray, but my wife hated it, her reaction was: "Ew hell no" when I showed her pictures. Firecracker Red looked great, but it was still not unique enough.

So I spent almost an hour looking at the Hella Yella and Punk'd parked next to each other. I called random friends and solicited random people's opinions. Wife told me to go with the Hella Yella and I agreed. Now playing the waiting game until it arrives. Thankfully stockpiling parts until it does :)

9RMhWKv.jpg

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
44733085_1930881657221329_6142372638569267200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz2-1.jpg
i first seen sting gray on a hellcat challenger (actually called destroyer for the cars). i fell in love with that colour.
then when i decided to order a new jeep, i first wanted black and the wife wanted punk'n but then i told her about that hellcat and that colour, and we went with it, without ever seeing it on a jeep. hell, i ordered my jeep from a dealer 600kms away over the phone.
didn't even test drive one. just knew i wanted one. actually called thinking i was gonna order a sport s, but when i was quoted only a few grand more for a rubi, i went with that.
2 door sting gray rubi base model with towing, led and steel bumpers. that's it, and i love it. wife fell in love with the colour too.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I went back and forth on some colors. I wanted to avoid black/white/silver/gray because I've owned those colors for 25 years. I originally thought I wanted Punk'n, or maybe Firecracker. I started visiting dealers on days they were closed just so I could see the colors in person. When I actually saw the colors in person, I thought the Punk'n was darker than I wanted, despite several dealer visits. I found myself wanting to like more than I did. I saw a Mojito on one lot, and started to like it. I waited until I saw a yellow to make a choice, when I finally saw yellow, it was a Sahara, and didn't do much for me. Maybe if it was a Rubicon trim with the black accents instead of silver I would've liked it more. I did consider Firecracker, but I felt like it was a common Jeep color. I went with Mojito, although its a bit flashy for me, I think on a 2 door with a black top looks great. Also, I can't see myself getting a color similar to this on any other vehicle (although a Porsche may look good in it). There is a good chance if a dealer had a build exactly how I wanted it, in almost any color (not black), I would've gotten whatever it was. I do think if I got a 4 door, I may have gotten another less flashy color.

L1010205.jpg
Sponsored