Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A30671D0-0F38-41B3-9818-6C1D4FE302B5.jpeg
I have two sets of reasons - the ones I told my wife...and the real reasons.

For my wife. I had a 2WD FJ Cruiser with rear locker, which we both loved. But I told her, “Honey, baby (not always in that order), insurance will be cheaper and MPG will be significantly better.”

She said we couldn’t afford for me to trade in the FJ for a Jeep. I asked her how she knew, if she had researched the cost of jeeps (thank God she had not). She made the mistake of telling me how much a month we could afford - an apparently IMPOSSIBLY LOW number.

She forgot who she was dealing with, and who the dealership had to deal with. I met her number by negotiating 21% off of MSRP.

The real reason: I’ve always wanted a 4WD FJ or a Jeep. I couldn’t afford the 4WD FJ, and they quit selling them here the year after I bought my 2WD. Also, I just retired from a brutal 30 years in the US Army. I figured I deserved it.

Another reason. Look at the photo of where my Jeep is sitting. That is our front yard, which is now mostly mud until December; our house is imbedded in a tropical jungle. Way out of town. In Florida. Out in the swamps and cow pastures. I had to use 4WD to get out of my neighbor’s front yard a few days ago. We’ve had to deal with countless tropical storms and hurricanes over the years. I kayak in remote places. I haul feed and hay for our animals. If we have a medical or veterinary emergency, especially as we are approaching the middle age of 60, I want a reliable off-road vehicle that can handle ANY contingency.

The number one reason is really simple. It makes me smile :)
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
That is amazing, well done.
Thank you sir. I have always said, the best time to buy a vehicle is when you don’t need a vehicle - and make that clear to the dealership.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I bought mine because my Dart blew the turbo..it was 7 years old and at that point the cost of repairs was equal to the value of the dang thing. I'd been looking at getting a Jeep for a few years, but at that point it was a "It'd be nice to have one" rather than "crap i need a new vehicle" so I never pulled the trigger.

So when the service manager told me how much the cost of the repairs was going to be for the Dart i was like "Find me a salesman, I'm gonna get that Jeep." and I brought home a shiny new Jeep!

Pic is old and busted Yuki with new hotness Ren the Jeep on the dealership lot.

IMG_20190623_090535_744.jpg

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine because my Dart blew the turbo..it was 7 years old and at that point the cost of repairs was equal to the value of the dang thing. I'd been looking at getting a Jeep for a few years, but at that point it was a "It'd be nice to have one" rather than "crap i need a new vehicle" so I never pulled the trigger.

So when the service manager told me how much the cost of the repairs was going to be for the Dart i was like "Find me a salesman, I'm gonna get that Jeep." and I brought home a shiny new Jeep!

Pic is old and busted Yuki with new hotness Ren the Jeep on the dealership lot.

IMG_20190623_090535_744.jpg
Wow. When you said “Dart” I was thinking “Dodge Dart,” last produced in the late 70’s. I started slipping into an existential crisis, until I looked at your pic again and saw that it’s a Chevy Dart! My mind is back on firm footing again.

Sponsored

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Wow. When you said “Dart” I was thinking “Dodge Dart,” last produced in the late 70’s. I started slipping into an existential crisis, until I looked at your pic again and saw that it’s a Chevy Dart! My mind is back on firm footing again.
Not quite :)
it was the new "Dodge" (Read: Fiat 500 abarth) Dart

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JL because I wanted to look cool and impress my friends.

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
I rented a JK once and took the doors off. Nothing like summer on cape cod driving around with no doors or roof.
I have lusted for a Jeep for the past 3 years. Almost bought a sunset orange willys but then decided to wait and see what the new JL looked like.
My wife got sick and tired of me looking at jeeps and told me I had to buy one. :)
Honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made. Driving the jeep around makes every trip an adventure.
I don't know why i waited so long.

june 2019.JPG

Rubicollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Veterinarian
I had been planning on buying a Wrangler for the last 8 years. I was obscenely lucky to have my dad buy me a 1993 Wrangler as my first car when I was 16. It was good bones when we got it (no top on in February...in December....in the mountains of Virginia...). I was told that this was my car and if I wanted to be able to drive, I needed to drive it home. Was given a 5 minute lesson on driving manual, 5 minutes of practice on the farm, and off we were.

I had that Wrangler for 4 years, built it up, we repainted it in our driveway, had the good 'ol father-son bonding over it all. I ended up (regretfully) selling that Wrangler after my first year in college. I couldn't afford the "gallons-per-mile" of that Jeep and ended up selling it to a friend and buying an Xterra. I drove that Xterra through college and 4 years of vet school, until last winter when it decided it didn't feel like engaging reverse anymore. I had been saving for a new Wrangler throughout college. Always weighing the pros and cons of how much to spend on maintenance for the Xterra out of my Jeep savings.

After so many years, I had a large downpayment ready (20k), the Xterra trade-in (that I was done fixing), and we had paid off my husband's car 6 months prior. Since I had graduated with my doctorate a year before, we figured I had earned ordering exactly what I wanted (fully loaded Rubi except for the painted hardtop ;)). I took delivery in March and have not been disappointed. Absolute kid in a candy shop vibes ever since we placed the order that night. Recently moved from Arizona to Florida and trophy trailered my Rubicon the entire way. Got a wave a couple times even from other Jeepers that were passing me on I-10 across the country while it was on the trailer.

Pictures are of my first Jeep day we bought it, what it looked like when we sold it, and of course my new Jeep.

Image1-3.jpg

SDC11120.jpg

IMG_0786.JPG

EE165468-9ECF-4241-A4A5-09F69E02DE93.JPG

D4D6ACE6-6DA3-4E1B-BC69-7EC1E9651AD5.JPG

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't looking to buy a JL at all, I was perfectly happy with my 2011 JK Sport. It ran fine, looked great and it was paid off. I was actually in the market to buy a 2017-18 Camaro 2SS. So how did I end up with, not only a wrangler JL, but a top of the line fully loaded Rubicon JLU at that?
I realized that he things that attracted me to the Camaro was, looks, horsepower and all those wonderful features like, heated seat and steering wheel, remote starter, phone link, Sirius radio....etc. Well the new JL had all of that, minus the 480HP of course, but that was not a show stopper. The new JL still had great pickup compared to my JK, and the ride was amazing.
Long story short, I got all those things I wanted plus a whole lot more. I feel as tho I can conquer any terrain with this thing, and it looks bad a$$ and makes me look good.....at least that's what my wife tells me :)

With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL? Does it make you look good? Was the price something you couldn't refuse? Did your parents buy it for you? Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

20181201_154408.jpg
My Son has a Jeep. Big lift 37's and drives on the beach and girls flock to it. I read all about Jeeps but been Ram owner a long time. My Jeep came from Wild Hair sitting in Dealership waiting for an Oil change on my 2017 Ram with my old friend who I bought all my autos off of. Showroom floor had Jeep sitting in middle and I kept looking and it didn't have Hardtop line. All my reading about Jeeps I knew I didn't want Hardtop. too hard to take off etc etc. Knew I didn't want all soft top. Plastic windows too much wind noise.
He walked over and pressed button and Sky Power Top opened up. He took the two Big Rear side windows right off in 60 seconds. I gave him my Truck Fob and off I went a Jeep Owner. That was my Wild Hair !!! :jk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I bought my Jeep because my other car is a Mustang and I wanted something I could drive in bad weather (i.e., snow) and keep straight on the road. The Jeep also can haul a whole lot more than my Mustang and the ability to take the top off is a plus (so I now have my sports car and a convertible).
I had the exact set up when I had my JK, I also had a Mustang 2002 GT. Now that I have a 2018 Jeep JL I still want a 2018 Camaro 2SS to.....oh the struggle is real

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wife and I have always wanted a jeep. She went back to school a few years ago and recently became a nurse. Turns out a lot of the ladies she works with are big time Jeepers....like big ass crawling machines lol. I guess they want the ability to rescue and help anyone anywhere :)

Anyway, we payed off our car and decided to look at the new Jeeps. Left with a great JLU Sport S in Granite and hard top. I cant compare it to past Wranglers, never had one. Other than two quirks this one is great. We have the wandering steering (got a notice coming int he mail today) and the AC allows the outside air into the cabin.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Over the years there have been a number of cars/trucks or vehicle types I have wanted,
Starting with my first, a pony car, followed by a hot hatch, when the kids came I decided to fulfill my yearning for a 4x4 SUV, all I could afford at the time was a first series Isuzu Trooper, my first taste of off roading, kept that for a long time, moved on to a latter version of the trooper,, ten years latter I finally bought my brand new 1999 Landcruiser, my daily driver for 10 years, but kept it for 21, just gave it to my Daughter and her Husband this month, even though I loved the Landcruiser, I got the itch to fulfill some of my other car desires for the next 12 years, a modern hot hatch, a modified 2008 VW R32, then a rally car type, a highly modified 2011 Subaru STI, then a super car I could afford a slightly modified 2013 Nissan GTR, then the 2016 M3, I loved all of those cars, since the Lancruiser was no longer my daily driver I decided to modify the beast some 6 years ago, all the offroad and overlanding stuff one could think of. Which brings me to my JLUR purchase, my first reason was we had bought a small motor home upon my retirement and thought maybe I should buy something that was towable, the landcuiser had ballooned in weight with all the mods, I had grown tired of my performance cars, everything from being careful where I parked to guys want to race all the time. Since I had already owned Landcruiser I had always been curious of owning a Jeep, the new JLs looked far more appealing than the past Jeeps, so I just thought it was time, dumped the BMW, bought the 2019 JLUR, gave the landcruiser to my daughter( so now we have a 4X4 fleet, one daughter and husband with a Tacoma 4X4 and 70 series Landcruiser and the other with their now 100 series Landcruiser and Subaru Outback). The only thing is i have done so much to the JLUR so far that i am sure it is too heavy to tow, but I do not care and love it more with each day.

Jeep .jpg
Sponsored