WHY did you BUY your JL?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
In hindsight, because I was an idiot. If ONLY I had leased!! THAT would have been my way out of this crate!!
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I've alternated between Jeeps and 4x4 pickups for the past 50 years. The last thing I bought was a new '97 Ram 1500. It now has 250k on it, rusted, dented, nasty inside and out...no ac, no cruise control, no muffler...still always starts, runs, can pull an elephant out of a swimming pool...wife won't even allow it in the driveway. Time for a new ride.

My offroad days are long in the past, like late '60s in the desert around Tucson and Ajo. This JL will never see a rockslide, a mudhole, or a sand dune. It'll never need any modification. It will already handle anything I need to drive through, and it's silly to do mods just to try to look badass, especially at my age.

So, why a Wrangler? To me, it's just a Jeep, no different than a CJ...it's Levi's blue jeans, it's Corcoran boots, it's basic and capable all-conditions transport. It works no matter what. I can drive it anywhere I want to go, and if I need to carry anything it wont hold, that Ram is hiding behind the shed.

Last edited:

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JLU because I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler but have never pulled the trigger. My dad worked for GM so I've always gotten the employee discount, still do. I've had my fair share of Silverado 1500's and 2500's, mostly Z71's with a Tahoe and and Yukon thrown in for good measure. Had an Equinox, and at least 4 Blazers. Yet I've always wanted a Jeep. Now that the Yukon is 3k short of 100k, it was time.

Went to the dealer, found 3 leftover 2018 JLU's, one Punk'n, One silver billet and one white. At first the Punk'n was the one, but more and more the billet grew on me. So I got 14.5% off MSRP and pulled the trigger.

Did I say I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler?

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
A few people close to me died and I realized that life is short - for some really short - and that I lacked something I could be truly passionate about. I used to be big into computers (I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know about them) and video games, both interests/hobbies kind of fell away and I need something new.

One year later, I’m so proud of my Jeep, everything I’ve learned, everything I’ve done and everywhere I’ve been. It’s been truly transformative.

It was also the vehicle I dreamed of driving when I was growing up so I see it as a symbol of the hard work I live and the fight in me.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I wish I could say that I bought one, but that will come soon enough. Now for the reason I WILL buy one:

Let me first preface this with I refuse to acknowledge the "O" word because that is the first thing my riding buddies say to me when I tell them I am selling my motorcycle. But I have come to realize that I don't recover as quickly as I have years ago and can't afford to go down on the motorcycle. Along with all the distracted drivers out there that are more worried about what's on their phone than what they are running into. I know what distracted drivers will still exist after I get my JL, but I will have more surrounding me. Last but not least, my recreational activities have changed as I spend more time in the back country and less time riding from Bar to Bar to Bar to Bar.

So I will be buying my JL soon (anyone interested in a 2017 Street Glide?) so that I can begin modding it, taking the top off, the doors off and getting out in the wilderness. Looking forward to still experiencing some wind therapy in my JL!
Oh yes... wind therapy is good!

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Heh. I feel you! I’m OldGuyNewJeep not because I’m actually old, but because being middle aged my wife teased me with, “Aren’t you too old for one of those? Are you going to be the dorky dad zipping down the neighborhood with no doors on his truck?”

I said, “You’re damn right!” LOL

(Of course, once I brought it home she loves it, but still won’t go in it with no doors.)

And my teenaged kids think it’s the best truck I’ve ever owned. They like it better than my previous Raptor.

No regrets!
"Middle aged" is in your 60's, right? please say yes!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
"Middle aged" is in your 60's, right? please say yes!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people?wprov=sfti1

The oldest person ever whose age has been independently verified is Jeanne Calment(1875–1997) of France, who lived to the age of 122 years, 164 days.https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/wmfapp://host/fileProxy/index.html#cite_note-calment-6The oldest verified man ever is Jiroemon Kimura (1897–2013) of Japan who lived to age 116 years, 54 days.

Sooo... yes, 60 is middle aged. :)

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I moved to Denver last summer. Drove up in a dropped VW GTI and very soon discovered that I needed to upgrade to a proper Colorado vehicle. I visited the local Jeep club, rode along on a trail run into the mountains, and immediately knew that Jeeping would be the life for me.

Fast forward about 7 months and I placed my order for a new JLR. I knew I wanted a Rubicon because I would definitely be wheeling and I did not want to mess around. I have already used the lockers and that crawl ratio has also come in handy. I also had to order mine because there were zero 2-door manual transmission JL's anywhere near me. The dealer said it would be maybe 1-2 months before it was ready, but they called me 3-ish weeks later and said it was on their lot.

I've owned it for about 5 months and 6800 (YIKES) miles and have loved every minute.

upload_2019-8-10_20-47-31.png

upload_2019-8-10_20-51-44.png

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
The main reason is everything Jeep... and the Sky One-Touch Power Top. I love the wind in my face and the ability to go just about anywhere

Norton300

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My wife and I bought a house in the country. They started to put rock down all the time, so I decided it was time to move on from my C7. I always liked Jeeps, so it was on the short list of what I was considering. The versatility is why it won out.

I like the fact that it is a great warm weather vehicle and enjoy being able to take off the panels, top, and doors. I also love that it will do well here in the winter. I stored the Vette in my garage during the winter, now I can't wait until it starts snowing

So, for me it was a perfect vehicle. I am very happy with my 19 JLUR. Some of my friends and I are making plans to get our Jeeps off road as well. Can't wait.

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
My wife had been talking about getting one for awhile. “I think you should get a Jeep”. I learned about the JL coming out and held her off. 2019 Moab is perfect. We both drive it and it has been fun mod.

Jeep Wrangler JL WHY did you BUY your JL? {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL WHY did you BUY your JL? {filename}

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Kids were pissing and moaning about my 2dr JK and I really wanted a 6 speed manual back in my life. JLU drove much smoother, felt planted, and more storage.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I love my JL, but some satire:

(NOT!!) I bought my JL for
  • All the accessories that come standard.
  • All factory accessories that can be easily added afterwards, like proximity locks.
  • The great gas mileage.
  • The sedan like drive
  • The sedan like quiet cabin
  • The fact that a Yugo, with nothing worth stealing, comes with a hood lock, but the JL, with plenty of expensive OEM and potential after market components (e.g. dual battery) does not.
  • The fact that MOPAR at least "instantly" offers a hook lock to purchase...that is if you define "instantly" as over a year and one half later.

Joking aside, I love my JL so much that these lacking attributes above get looked past.:)
Sponsored