JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I wish I could say that I bought one, but that will come soon enough. Now for the reason I WILL buy one:

Let me first preface this with I refuse to acknowledge the "O" word because that is the first thing my riding buddies say to me when I tell them I am selling my motorcycle. But I have come to realize that I don't recover as quickly as I have years ago and can't afford to go down on the motorcycle. Along with all the distracted drivers out there that are more worried about what's on their phone than what they are running into. I know what distracted drivers will still exist after I get my JL, but I will have more surrounding me. Last but not least, my recreational activities have changed as I spend more time in the back country and less time riding from Bar to Bar to Bar to Bar.

So I will be buying my JL soon (anyone interested in a 2017 Street Glide?) so that I can begin modding it, taking the top off, the doors off and getting out in the wilderness. Looking forward to still experiencing some wind therapy in my JL!
Maybe it will get you into more outdoor activities like camping, I know it did for the wife and I
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
You stole my post!!! I totally agree with this 100%. I have 3 kids, 2 are out on their own and one is still in college, but I have a College savings plan for him, so no out of picket expenses. It was time to do something for myself.........
Mine is similar to you guys. I turned 50 in May, always wanted a Wrangler. I too was waiting for my kids to be grown but despite my oldest being in college, we started over again and now have a 1.5 and 2.5 yo we will be raising, :). So, I realized if I wait til they’re grown it will never happen! So I bought a ‘17JKUR, then returned it for a ‘18 JLUSport that I could make my own. I LOVE it, and so do my kids!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Mine is similar to you guys. I turned 50 in May, always wanted a Wrangler. I too was waiting for my kids to be grown but despite my oldest being in college, we started over again and now have a 1.5 and 2.5 yo we will be raising, :). So, I realized if I wait til they’re grown it will never happen! So I bought a ‘17JKUR, then returned it for a ‘18 JLUSport that I could make my own. I LOVE it, and so do my kids!
I was waiting for me to grow up,realized that was never gonna happen, so I pulled the trigger .

johnrb3b

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com
Vehicle(s)
'54 CJ-3B '57 Station Wagon 2019JL
Occupation
retired
My left knee is giving out. My 2010 JK is a stick shift.
Time to get an automatic. : (
At least the ZF 8-spd gets pretty good reviews so I'm hoping I won't hate it.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
My left knee is giving out. My 2010 JK is a stick shift.
Time to get an automatic. : (
At least the ZF 8-spd gets pretty good reviews so I'm hoping I won't hate it.
LOOOOVE the 8 spd. Auto. I was hesitant too, but wow, they did it right. Granted with the Rubicon I have 4.10s, but it's plenty peppy with 37s, I can pass people no problem and still get "decent" gas mileage.

Why did I get mine??? My 17 Tacoma while awesome and bulletproof reliability just wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go without serious customization. I figured I'd rather go with lockers and a loft to 37s. Wife loved the idea, we bought a trailer for camping gear.DONE and loving it.

Sponsored

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
LOOOOVE the 8 spd. Auto. I was hesitant too, but wow, they did it right. Granted with the Rubicon I have 4.10s, but it's plenty peppy with 37s, I can pass people no problem and still get "decent" gas mileage.

Why did I get mine??? My 17 Tacoma while awesome and bulletproof reliability just wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go without serious customization. I figured I'd rather go with lockers and a loft to 37s. Wife loved the idea, we bought a trailer for camping gear.DONE and loving it.
Had a GMC Sierra Crew Cab but never loved having a truck. When kids got out of boosters we bought VW Atlas (love that car) with third row so we can use that for road trips, friends transportation etc. always liked Jeeps and had a 95 wrangler rio grande edition in my bachelor days. Once I saw the new refinements of the JLU I was sold as it serves not only as transportation but a hobby for me to do small mods, detail etc. other than some concerns on play in steering wheel and brakes that I swear I can almost touch the floor, I absolutely love it

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
4 yrs ago, went to dealer with hopes of a new Wrangler. Well, finances decided otherwise ( more $ than expected). Purchased a new Cherokee KL.
Had it for 7 months, and ended up with a buy back from Jeep. Received a 2015 Cherokee KL with no difference of loan. ( Just swapped VIN# on loan paperwork).. Had it for a year ( no problems) traded it for a Cherokee Trailhawk..
Still hoped for a Wrangler... Finally made the plunge for my 2019 Rubicon Unlimited ( loving it so far).. Gave me really nice trade in for the Trailhawk that had 30k mileage.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome it came with the limited-slip diff and the Dana 44 upgrade. I guess you're all set to lift it and slap on some larger tires haha

Thank you for your service
You’re welcome Jim; it has been a privilege. I have to go easy on the after-purchase-mod talk. My wife isn’t very receptive to it, but of course I’m already dropping hints!

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I wasn't looking to buy a JL at all, I was perfectly happy with my 2011 JK Sport. It ran fine, looked great and it was paid off. I was actually in the market to buy a 2017-18 Camaro 2SS. So how did I end up with, not only a wrangler JL, but a top of the line fully loaded Rubicon JLU at that?
I realized that he things that attracted me to the Camaro was, looks, horsepower and all those wonderful features like, heated seat and steering wheel, remote starter, phone link, Sirius radio....etc. Well the new JL had all of that, minus the 480HP of course, but that was not a show stopper. The new JL still had great pickup compared to my JK, and the ride was amazing.
Long story short, I got all those things I wanted plus a whole lot more. I feel as tho I can conquer any terrain with this thing, and it looks bad a$$ and makes me look good.....at least that's what my wife tells me :)

With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL? Does it make you look good? Was the price something you couldn't refuse? Did your parents buy it for you? Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

20181201_154408.jpg
That’s a multi-tiered, complex question and will probably fit into why anyone on here got their JL.
For me, i wanted it, therefore i got it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got ours because we missed our CJs but didn't miss the rough attributes (and the 10mpg I got w/ the 401 V8 I put in the 75) :)
All our previous 4x4s were MTs, but being old and kinda gray now I am totally happy w/ the 8AT, and shifts so much faster than that 2 foot stick on my T18 lol :)

Sponsored

1995YJ

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Rio Grande, 2018 JL Sport S 3.6L 6 Spd
Occupation
Firefighter
Because my YJ joined the 200k mile club. I also really like the look of the JL.

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
You’re welcome Jim; it has been a privilege. I have to go easy on the after-purchase-mod talk. My wife isn’t very receptive to it, but of course I’m already dropping hints!
My wife is the same way. She couldn't understand why I needed new rims and tires on a brand new Jeep. But after talking about it for so long, she always caves in haha. Now when she sees the way it looks, she understands why I wanted them

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
We were getting ready to lift the JKU. Thought we should look at the JLU first.
Done deal.
Nice upgrade.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT, 1969 F250 Camper Special, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
i finally decided to trade into a jeep about 4 weeks ago. I've been working for a ford dealership for almost 10 years now and have had an F-150 for the last 7 years it was getting to be a pain to park and was just plain too big. was trying to downsize drove the new ranger a few times and just didn't wow me.... our dealer just opened a new jeep store up in march so i tested a jeep and couldn't be happier. you know you've got the right vehicle when you look back at it every time you park it.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I miss my old convertible and owned less expensive cars personally due to wife needing something bigger to drive the kids. The kids are all moved out and married. Low sitting stick convertibles aren't my think anymore so I bought a JLU soft top.
Sponsored