First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Death wobble and severe steering play.
So this stuff:
1. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sist-steering-lockup-at-highway-speeds.12226/ (can affect any speed, not just highway speeds)

2. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-8#post-436030 (check to see if this applies via date code) (This is an example of a general Star case, not specific to one specific VIN/Vehicle).

3. Check for loose ball joint nuts, and other steering andsuspension fasteners: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/ and https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

4. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...vements-pcm-reprogram-september-7-2018.15739/
That's horrible. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle and having all those issues. The only thing that happened with mine was, I had a headlight out, so I needed to bring it to the dealer and they said they would need it for the whole day. I was pissed cause they gave me a minivan for a rental car. I looked at him and said, "really?. I've never driven a minivan in my entire life, and it took me buying a 50 thousand dollar vehicle to make that happen?" haha I was not happy.
Hopefully you'll get your JL back soon and there will be no more issues
Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the length -- I'm glad you asked, as this vehicle has had a huge impact on our lives, and I'm excited to share.

My journey to the JLUR is a bit convoluted, but here goes. I had a '99 Mustang Cobra convertible until 2011 when my daughter was born. Traded that for an '06 300C SRT8. Loved the luxury and power, and drove it for several years, meticulously maintaining it. I got hot and heavy into motorcycles, and wanted to put my money into them, so sold the 300, and got an econobox that I instantly regretted. But, 7 motorcycles in 5 years was a pretty fun hobby.

Ultimately, with my daughter getting a bit older, priorities changed and the motorcycles ended up sitting in the garage more than not. So, I found a used JK Rubicon at a local dealer that was everything I wanted, lifted, big tires, manual, soft top. I missed my convertible. Went to test drive it, and it was a disaster. I learned then not to use cheap suspension parts. Ended up trading the bikes in for a 2015 Ram Big Horn. Loved the truck (have since upgraded that one to a Longhorn that is amazing). Picked up a 2016 75th anniversary Grand Cherokee Limited for the wife, and it was unfortunately totaled after just 43 days of ownership.

This was in May of 2017. We went round and round about what we were going to replace it with. We looked at JGC Trailhawks, Overlands, and Summits and loved them all. It was at this time that I joined this forum and started learning as much as I could about the JL. I still wanted a Wrangler, but just couldn't quite fall in love with the JK. My wife let me have a mid-life crisis, and took my truck so I could get a Challenger Scat Pack. We found a leftover 6 speed, and my dealer made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. I absolutely loved that car. The power on demand was amazing. It was loud, in your face, and definitely wouldn't back down from a fight. But, when the weather got to be below 70 degrees, first gear was nothing but a smoke show, and it just wasn't practical. I put 8,000 miles on it in a year.

If you're still reading, I'm finally getting to the point. The JLs had been out for 7 months now, and I was still following this forum every day. Turned off by the welds, but also with no self control, I took my wife by the dealership to check them out, since she hadn't seen one in person yet. We drove a Sahara and a Rubicon - hated the Sahara, it wandered all over the road. Loved the Rubicon, and preferred the cloth seats. They had one on the lot that had everything I had on my list (steel bumpers, LED, soft top, tow package, 3.6L, Nav), but I wasn't thrilled with black. My salesman thought I was crazy when I crawled under the front of it to inspect the track bar weld. We made a good deal, with a great trade for my Challenger (just in time before the new wide body scats hit the dealers!), and drove it home that day.

I was psyched to have a convertible again, and the next day was beautiful so we dropped the top and had an awesome family day. The next day was raining, so we found a dirt road, and got it filthy. Got caught in a rain storm without the windows a week later, and ripped out the carpet. Sprayed red Raptor liner in the entire tub, and haven't looked at the carpet since.

What I didn't realize at the time was how much this vehicle would change our lives. My wife and daughter absolutely love it with the doors off (my daughter is always disappointed when we have them on, in fact). Riding like this reminds me of being on the motorcycle, only I get to enjoy it with my family, which means so much more. Additionally, we have been introduced to so many amazing people in the Jeep community. Jeepers really are special people. We have made amazing friends, and spend more time as a family with this vehicle than I could have imagined. 3 months in - 5,000 miles - all of them amazing.
Okay, so you'll have to post a picture of the interior of your Jeep, I wanna see what the red raptor liner looks like.
I also had a few motorcycles in my day and it is kinda like that with the doors off.....just a lot more comfortable cause you can put the heat or AC on.
What amazes me about this Jeep is how we all want to talk about it....which is why I started this thread. My wife was getting sick of me talking to her about it and she doesn't relate to it like fellow JL owners do (she owns a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and loves it)

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Okay, so you'll have to post a picture of the interior of your Jeep, I wanna see what the red raptor liner looks like.
I also had a few motorcycles in my day and it is kinda like that with the doors off.....just a lot more comfortable cause you can put the heat or AC on.
What amazes me about this Jeep is how we all want to talk about it....which is why I started this thread. My wife was getting sick of me talking to her about it and she doesn't relate to it like fellow JL owners do (she owns a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and loves it)
It’s funny you mention that. In the Challenger I always got looks from other guys driving by, usually along with an eye roll from any women with them. In the Jeep everybody turns their head, male and female. :) I actually had a dude and his girl on a softail turn their heads as I drove by the other day.

My new interior:
D34E90DA-0DE8-4618-B70F-737381E3AEB9.jpeg
A858B8D4-8EF8-4DDD-8842-B3226801C787.jpeg
DFA8F757-55FE-4F2B-9373-09BAE5D2571F.jpeg

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s funny you mention that. In the Challenger I always got looks from other guys driving by, usually along with an eye roll from any women with them. In the Jeep everybody turns their head, male and female. :) I actually had a dude and his girl on a softail turn their heads as I drove by the other day.

My new interior:
WOW!!! that's pretty cool. Must make road noise a little louder tho right? There is a thread on here that is something like "obsessed with red" you should post it on there for sure

View attachment 118908

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW!!! that's pretty cool. Must make road noise a little louder tho right? There is a thread on here that is something like "obsessed with red" you should post it on there for sure

View attachment 118908
Thanks! I haven't noticed more road noise, but I try to run with the top off as much as possible. It stays cool to the touch too. I'm really happy with it. I put my all weather mats back in the front, but left them out in the back since they float on the highway without doors.

I'll see if I can find the obsessed with red thread.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the length -- I'm glad you asked, as this vehicle has had a huge impact on our lives, and I'm excited to share.

My journey to the JLUR is a bit convoluted, but here goes. I had a '99 Mustang Cobra convertible until 2011 when my daughter was born. Traded that for an '06 300C SRT8. Loved the luxury and power, and drove it for several years, meticulously maintaining it. I got hot and heavy into motorcycles, and wanted to put my money into them, so sold the 300, and got an econobox that I instantly regretted. But, 7 motorcycles in 5 years was a pretty fun hobby.

Ultimately, with my daughter getting a bit older, priorities changed and the motorcycles ended up sitting in the garage more than not. So, I found a used JK Rubicon at a local dealer that was everything I wanted, lifted, big tires, manual, soft top. I missed my convertible. Went to test drive it, and it was a disaster. I learned then not to use cheap suspension parts. Ended up trading the bikes in for a 2015 Ram Big Horn. Loved the truck (have since upgraded that one to a Longhorn that is amazing). Picked up a 2016 75th anniversary Grand Cherokee Limited for the wife, and it was unfortunately totaled after just 43 days of ownership.

This was in May of 2017. We went round and round about what we were going to replace it with. We looked at JGC Trailhawks, Overlands, and Summits and loved them all. It was at this time that I joined this forum and started learning as much as I could about the JL. I still wanted a Wrangler, but just couldn't quite fall in love with the JK. My wife let me have a mid-life crisis, and took my truck so I could get a Challenger Scat Pack. We found a leftover 6 speed, and my dealer made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. I absolutely loved that car. The power on demand was amazing. It was loud, in your face, and definitely wouldn't back down from a fight. But, when the weather got to be below 70 degrees, first gear was nothing but a smoke show, and it just wasn't practical. I put 8,000 miles on it in a year.

If you're still reading, I'm finally getting to the point. The JLs had been out for 7 months now, and I was still following this forum every day. Turned off by the welds, but also with no self control, I took my wife by the dealership to check them out, since she hadn't seen one in person yet. We drove a Sahara and a Rubicon - hated the Sahara, it wandered all over the road. Loved the Rubicon, and preferred the cloth seats. They had one on the lot that had everything I had on my list (steel bumpers, LED, soft top, tow package, 3.6L, Nav), but I wasn't thrilled with black. My salesman thought I was crazy when I crawled under the front of it to inspect the track bar weld. We made a good deal, with a great trade for my Challenger (just in time before the new wide body scats hit the dealers!), and drove it home that day.

I was psyched to have a convertible again, and the next day was beautiful so we dropped the top and had an awesome family day. The next day was raining, so we found a dirt road, and got it filthy. Got caught in a rain storm without the windows a week later, and ripped out the carpet. Sprayed red Raptor liner in the entire tub, and haven't looked at the carpet since.

What I didn't realize at the time was how much this vehicle would change our lives. My wife and daughter absolutely love it with the doors off (my daughter is always disappointed when we have them on, in fact). Riding like this reminds me of being on the motorcycle, only I get to enjoy it with my family, which means so much more. Additionally, we have been introduced to so many amazing people in the Jeep community. Jeepers really are special people. We have made amazing friends, and spend more time as a family with this vehicle than I could have imagined. 3 months in - 5,000 miles - all of them amazing.
Read every word man. Good story and a lot of vehicles geezzz! Good to hear it has led to more family time and meeting new people! The Jeep family is unlike any other!

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read every word man. Good story and a lot of vehicles geezzz! Good to hear it has led to more family time and meeting new people! The Jeep family is unlike any other!
Yeah, I have no will power. The General Manager at my local dealer loves me. lol You should've seen the sales guys face light up when he saw us on the lot.

There's a few other irrelevant vehicles in there too. The Wrangler has had a bigger impact on our lives than any vehicle I've owned though, so while I don't want to speak too soon, I'm hopeful that we'll hang on to this one for a while.

Grayce's mom

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
That's horrible. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle and having all those issues. The only thing that happened with mine was, I had a headlight out, so I needed to bring it to the dealer and they said they would need it for the whole day. I was pissed cause they gave me a minivan for a rental car. I looked at him and said, "really?. I've never driven a minivan in my entire life, and it took me buying a 50 thousand dollar vehicle to make that happen?" haha I was not happy.
Hopefully you'll get your JL back soon and there will be no more issues
One part was scheduled to be in yesterday. Still no word from the dealership. We are thinking of pursuing the lemon law and either handing the vehicle back in and calling it a day or make them replace our 18 with a 19. It’s all a mess right now. I’m sick about it.
I’m in a rental. The first one they gave me was a minivan and I refused it. The second was some dodge suv that smelled of smoke and shook like crazy if I went over 65mph. The third one, which I’m driving now, is a 2019 2dr Wrangler. So, at least it’s a Jeep.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

My new interior:
This is nice man! Any solution ideas for a storage cover for the back though?

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is nice man! Any solution ideas for a storage cover for the back though?
I ended up putting the carpeted rails that have the tie down hooks on each side, and the storage cover back in, so that I can have some secure storage. Surprisingly though, it doesn't look out of place.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up putting the carpeted rails that have the tie down hooks on each side, and the storage cover back in, so that I can have some secure storage. Surprisingly though, it doesn't look out of place.
That’s exactly what I would have done haha and it’s black so it matches the red

Schroll1523

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Wrangler JLU
I was looking at used JK's, but they were almost as much as a new JL. I was really interested in the being able to go anywhere on the planet and feel comfortable while doing it. So I spent a few thousand more and got JLU Rubicon, now my butt and digits don't get cold.

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
Yeah, I have no will power. The General Manager at my local dealer loves me. lol You should've seen the sales guys face light up when he saw us on the lot.
Haha...I hate to admit it but I'm basically the same way. I love Jeeps and just had to check out the new JL. I drove on the lot in a Tacoma that wasnt my favorite vehicle but did what I needed it to. Next thing I know I'm test driving it and talking numbers with the sales guy.

It was a simple plan- go to the dealership, look at the JL for a few minutes, then leave......I just had to complicate things by buying one almost immediately, lol

MarkTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I purchased a Durango new in 2014. While I was waiting for the salesperson to return (from wherever salespeople always seem to disappear to during negotiations), I went and climbed into a lifted Rubicon on the showroom floor. I thought it was nice, but I had trouble getting in and out. I told myself my days of possibly driving a cool Jeep were behind me.

I bought the Durango, but became more and more aware of Jeeps I saw on the road. Fast forward a couple years, and I found myself playing "Where's Wrangler?" everyday on the way to work. Kind of like Where's Waldo, but with cars. Finally, a few weeks ago, I had to bring my (yawn) Dodge in for some extended warranty work. They loaned me a bare-bones window-cranking black Sport JKU, which I ended up driving for a week. Fun! Top down and all! I ordered a Wrangler the same day I picked up my Durango from the service department.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Quality craftsmanship, holds value, safe with roll cage, sits up high, unique look I love.
Sponsored