RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL?

Does it make you look good?

I doubt it, any more than did I delude myself into thinking so on purchase. I think IT looks good, but me: I'm likely unchanged.

Was the price something you couldn't refuse?

JL owners get a deal that runs anywhere from great (say 7% of invoice) to not great. But I don't know anybody that gets it at a steal, so I suspect this reason is one few owners might sight...but I haven't done the marketing. A great price exists in two places, the market, and the buyer's expectations, which should be, but don't always align.

Did your parents buy it for you?

Funny this question should come up. Where I live ownership pretty much falls into two distinct classes. There are mature adults who buy for themselves like me, and pre-college kids whose parents buy for them. You can spot the difference. The pre-college owners have MORE tripped out rigs and take care of them worse.;)

Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

Yes. I'm a builder at heart. To design, create, innovate, that's me. I don't know how good I am at it, and suspect I enjoy it a whole lot more than I excel at it.

At yet, as sure as you must appreciate there's so much more for all of us. Wranglers not only take us places where the road ends or is less than ideal, they allow us to dream of such things and then act upon them. They embody the free spirit, from their distinct role in helping the US win "the war to end all wars" (WW 2, sadly not) to how we configure/mod and customize them, to the places we take them.

I know of exciting vehicles, as I could run down a list of Sports cars, but as it regards fun ones, what is more fun than a Wrangler?

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It was the only SUV available with 4Low AND manual transmission.
Without those two things I would not have even look at it.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
(in an alternate universe)

;)I couldn't believe all the accessories it comes with standard with like a gas cap cover, and grab handles, and other stuff you have to pay for on other vehicles. And that ridiculous steal of a price. I can see why the aftermarket is huge for all those tripped out modded/ lifted, roof rack camping rack/ kitchen in the trunk Buick Lacrosses that come standard with nothing, but virtually nonexistent in the Wrangler segment.;)

"Son, if you want to see the Wrangler's 'accessories' you have to get on your back and slide under it. That's where FCA puts your money."

BumbleBee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2017 Subaru WRX, 2000 Honda S2000
FD197D25-38F5-49C0-A130-01F0312F3C6B.jpeg

Last year we spent two months out west on a road trip from NY, hiking in Southern Utah and Az. My Subaru WRX stopped us from getting to the some of the best trail heads, so an ‘18 JLU (sport, manual) was added to the family in October — just in time for this year’s trip. 6500 miles later, it has been amazing!

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t read all the replies ...

My wife and kids wanted a Jeep, so now it’s my DD ... well, I drive it to ORD, but I car service to the airport in the summer, so itll be my wife’s topless, 2nd car summer car.

upload_2018-12-7_19-54-31.gif

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL?

Does it make you look good?

I doubt it, any more than did I delude myself into thinking so on purchase. I think IT looks good, but me: I'm likely unchanged.

Was the price something you couldn't refuse?

JL owners get a deal that runs anywhere from great (say 7% of invoice) to not great. But I don't know anybody that gets it at a steal, so I suspect this reason is one few owners might sight...but I haven't done the marketing. A great price exists in two places, the market, and the buyer's expectations, which should be, but don't always align.

Funny this question should come up. Where I live ownership pretty much falls into two distinct classes. There are mature adults who buy for themselves like me, and pre-college kids whose parents buy for them. You can spot the difference. The pre-college owners have MORE tripped out rigs and take care of them worse.;)

Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

Yes. I'm a builder at heart. To design, create, innovate, that's me. I don't know how good I am at it, and suspect I enjoy it a whole lot more than I excel at it.

At yet, as sure as you must appreciate there's so much more for all of us. Wranglers not only take us places where the road ends or is less than ideal, they allow us to dream of such things and then act upon them. They embody the free spirit, from their distinct role in helping the US win "the war to end all wars" (WW 2, sadly not) to how we configure/mod and customize them, to the places we take them.

I know of exciting vehicles, as I could run down a list of Sports cars, but as it regards fun ones, what is more fun than a Wrangler?

It is the high school car of choice here! They don’t Jeep wave as much tho ..

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Here too. And lots of UNC girls drive them too. I actually try not to wave to them so I don't come off like a lecherous creep.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
why did you buy your JL? Does it make you look good? Was the price something you couldn't refuse? Did your parents buy it for you? Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?
1) Long story short - I wanted to off road with my brothers again after moving back to CO.
2) Does it make me look good? I doubt the best makeup artist could pull that off. But do I care? NO. Do I belong in a Jeep? YES.
3) Parents? Oh good lord no. My parents never bought me a vehicle. I worked and saved from age 14 until I got my license at 16 and bought myself a 65 Mustang. Loved that car. I had to continue working to afford gas, maintenance, and insurance. To that I thank my parents for raising me to be financially stable.
4) Jeeps rock as far as customizing. Thus far I've done very little (if it even counts); added the Mopar fuel door and door sill guards. Next year I think I'll install the Rubicon's tires and MAYBE the optional wheels the Sport S comes with. But that's probably about the extent for me as I'm more of a stock kind of guy. Nothing wrong with going full out but I've never had the desire as I wouldn't use it to that extent. I just want to be able to do the (some) semi-difficult trails here with my brothers - not the extreme ones.

Beyond that I'm floored at all the features that came with my Jeep. A heated steering wheel/seats? Remote start? Apple CarPlay? And much, much more. It's very powerful, everything just works and the fit and finish is superb, everything is so well thought out for ease of use and durability, and it still can do all the hard work off road with ease. Love it, no buyers remorse here!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Wut. My 16 year old is driving a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan with nearly 200k miles on it, and he’s damn lucky to have been given that.

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Need a new flat tow vehicle in the 4,000 pound range.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
We were looking at a BMW X5, an AMG G Wagon, and the Wrangler. We ultimately chose the Wrangler because we thought it'd be a fun beach car and that the kids would love having the top off. Turns out it's terrible on the highway, not that good in the sand, and the kids hate having the top & doors off ("It's too much wind," "It's cold," "A Baltimore homeless man on heroin just reached in and touched me, daddy," and other typical kid complaints).

I'm a G Wagon loyalist and something I liked right away is that the Wrangler has a similar driving position (upright, shallow dash, face against the windshield). Both rides are rough (which I like) and prone to wind interference. The Wrangler is sorely lacking in power but I get 22 MPG on the highway versus the G's 14 MPG if there's a tail wind.

More, I work in downtown Baltimore so the fact that the Wrangler is about a third the price of the G Wagon means I can park it and not lose my mind if someone dings it. I can park it on the street and go to a lunch meeting thinking about things other than, "I wonder who's ramming the shit out of my bumper trying to shoehorn themselves into the spot behind me."

My wife isn't a fan of the Jeep but I really do love it. I'm glad we bought it but we probably won't buy another one after this.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wut. My 16 year old is driving a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan with nearly 200k miles on it, and he’s damn lucky to have been given that.
Where I live--and I assure you this is a point of shame for me, not bragging--people joke that the High School should have valet parking.

My wife and I moved here for the good schools, not necessarily the good character of some of the residents and their zero world problems.

Problems:

2nd world: Your country has no parts for your 35 year old car
1st world: Waiting for restaurant table
0 world: Missing a spray tan appointment;)

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
Been driving F-150 Super Crews since 2000. They were getting bigger and taller each model year. The 2018 wouldn’t fit in my garage, so I said enough. Saw a Wrangler in the parking lot and said that is my next vehicle. Shopped for a JLU Rubicon from March until September with no success. Stumbleded upon a customer order who couldn’t take delivery and jumped on it. It had a few more options I wasn’t expecting, but the numbers worked out in my favor.

Does it make me look good? No, I am middle aged, but it makes me excited to walk to the driveway. Even better with the top down!

Was the price right? Yes, the person who ordered it paid a portion of my down payment. LOL

Did my parents pay for the Jeep? No, but that would have been great!

Did I buy it for my customization? Yes, I have always kept my vehicles relatively stock. With the JL I am like a kid in the candy store. My Christmas list is longer than my 20 y/o son’s.

The best part is the off road capabilities. Had no idea what Jeeps were capable of until I went with friends to Uwarrie State Park. Talk about exelerating!

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
Here too. And lots of UNC girls drive them too. I actually try not to wave to them so I don't come off like a lecherous creep.
All of my son’s friends at NCSU want to “borrow” it for the weekend. LOL
Sponsored