WHY did you BUY your JL?

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I wasn't looking to buy a JL at all, I was perfectly happy with my 2011 JK Sport. It ran fine, looked great and it was paid off. I was actually in the market to buy a 2017-18 Camaro 2SS. So how did I end up with, not only a wrangler JL, but a top of the line fully loaded Rubicon JLU at that?
I realized that he things that attracted me to the Camaro was, looks, horsepower and all those wonderful features like, heated seat and steering wheel, remote starter, phone link, Sirius radio....etc. Well the new JL had all of that, minus the 480HP of course, but that was not a show stopper. The new JL still had great pickup compared to my JK, and the ride was amazing.
Long story short, I got all those things I wanted plus a whole lot more. I feel as tho I can conquer any terrain with this thing, and it looks bad a$$ and makes me look good.....at least that's what my wife tells me :)

With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL? Does it make you look good? Was the price something you couldn't refuse? Did your parents buy it for you? Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

20181201_154408.jpg
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I wasn't looking to buy a JL at all, I was perfectly happy with my 2011 JK Sport. It ran fine, looked great and it was paid off. I was actually in the market to buy a 2017-18 Camaro 2SS. So how did I end up with, not only a wrangler JL, but a top of the line fully loaded Rubicon JLU at that?
I realized that he things that attracted me to the Camaro was, looks, horsepower and all those wonderful features like, heated seat and steering wheel, remote starter, phone link, Sirius radio....etc. Well the new JL had all of that, minus the 480HP of course, but that was not a show stopper. The new JL still had great pickup compared to my JK, and the ride was amazing.
Long story short, I got all those things I wanted plus a whole lot more. I feel as tho I can conquer any terrain with this thing, and it looks bad a$$ and makes me look good.....at least that's what my wife tells me :)

With all the hundreds of vehicles to pick from, why did you buy your JL? Does it make you look good? Was the price something you couldn't refuse? Did your parents buy it for you? Do you like how you can customize it to make it a one-of-a-kind?

20181201_154408.jpg
I bought mine coming from an FJ Cruiser that I've had now for 10 years. It was time for a change, even though the FJ only has 65K miles on it. The FJ was an auto, and I've always regretted that. And the Jeep is one of the last vehicles that can still be bought with a manual transmission.

Over the past couple of years, I started to notice that I would always turn my head any time a well setup Jeep rolled past me.

I don't have mine in possession yet, but should by the end of the month.

Also, just wanted to say that is an awesome photo of your Jeep. That color looks great! Of course, I'm biased.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase

20181201_154408.jpg
Where did you get the "smoked out" fender maker light lenses?

JoeG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had wanted a Wrangler for years and almost pulled the trigger 3 years ago when I did some research and read about the NEW Wrangler coming in 2018.
2018 came and it was the same Wrangler with a new bumper, arghhh.
3 years waiting for nothing, arghhh.
Then they appeared and it has been heaven and hell ever since.
Heavenly having her, hell with an empty pocket.
Congrats on yours!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

I missed my Raptor, but really wanted a manual transmission so I could teach my kids. Plus, no doors or top is hard to argue against. Also, I don't like the new generation of Raptors (they transformed the best looking front of a pickup ever designed into a scuba diver face. And turbo V6 instead of 6.2L v8 - bleh).

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine coming from an FJ Cruiser that I've had now for 10 years. It was time for a change, even though the FJ only has 65K miles on it. The FJ was an auto, and I've always regretted that. And the Jeep is one of the last vehicles that can still be bought with a manual transmission.

Over the past couple of years, I started to notice that I would always turn my head any time a well setup Jeep rolled past me.

I don't have mine in possession yet, but should by the end of the month.

Also, just wanted to say that is an awesome photo of your Jeep. That color looks great! Of course, I'm biased.
Well welcome to the club. I'm sure you've test driven one by now....totally different ride. By far my favorite vehicle I've owned....and I've owned a lot

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I bought my JLUR because my '03 TJ was more of short distance Jeep and one I couldn't take on road trips for vacations, Jeep Jamborees or to explore offroad trails across the country. Plus my JL is the first new car I've ever owned and I wanted a warrantied vehicle and something I could be the only and first owner of. Not to mention all the upgrades from my TJ and it had everything I wanted (lift, tires, offroad ready etc...). I went from having a daily driver of a 2004 Kia Sorento and a fun vehicle of my TJ down to one vehicle with my Rubi. I didn't mind the $46K price tag because I knew I'd be 100% happy with it, love driving it and will keep it for the next 10-15 years.

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought my JLUR because my '03 TJ was more of short distance Jeep and one I couldn't take on road trips for vacations, Jeep Jamborees or to explore offroad trails across the country. Plus my JL is the first new car I've ever owned and I wanted a warrantied vehicle and something I could be the only and first owner of. Not to mention all the upgrades from my TJ and it had everything I wanted (lift, tires, offroad ready etc...). I went from having a daily driver of a 2004 Kia Sorento and a fun vehicle of my TJ down to one vehicle with my Rubi. I didn't mind the $46K price tag because I knew I'd be 100% happy with it, love driving it and will keep it for the next 10-15 years.
Road trips is one of the many reasons I bought mine as well, the Camaro didn't fit that bill. We plan on doing a cross country trip with our 3 dogs this summer

Camping with the JL-1.jpg

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Habit ...
See below

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Sold my TJ. Wanted something with more room inside so I could go up in the mountains and go fishing. Was going to build the wife's JK but we went in to get her a Grand Cherokee and we ended up trading the JK in on the JL. :)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Sold my YJ in 2001 when we started having kids. I have been stalking Jeeps off and on ever since. Almost pulled the trigger on a JK a couple of times. Also looked into a YJ as a second vehicle. Finally decided to wait on the JL. It was hard after waiting so many years. But I am glad I did.

My reason for waiting/wishlist:

- Better quality interior
- Better/Easier operating soft top
- Improve MPG
- Improved manual transmission

The JL delivered in all those categories and a lot others. My only complaints would be some features they did not carry over from the JK Sport - Beefier tires with the cold weather package, LED headlights as a factory option, higher axle gear ratio with LSD.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
My reason for buying a JLU. Wife wanted one. Lol. She was driving a Mazda 3 and was starting to need work. We decided to get her a larger vehicle for our Canadian winters. Looked at a few different options before she fell in love with the JL. I wanted her to get a pickup so we compromised and got a Jeep. Haha. Now that we have it though, I love it too. Our DV8 bumper should be in on Monday finally as well as our winch and a-pillar lights. Might not be as practical as a truck would have been but it’s a blast to drive and having the top and doors off in the summer is great.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I bought a JL because no one would buy it for me. I also wanted a Wrangler for a long time. No promises on what happens if Ford does the Bronco right though.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
The Durango citadel was 5 years old and was wanting to get the wife something new. I always saw her looking at the lifted 4 doors in the show room when i was getting trucks.so went and looked at JK . Then saw the JL and the interior and looks and the 8 speed and was sold.
Sponsored