WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
My love of Jeeps started as a kid watching Dukes of Hazard on TV... Daisy's white CJ7 with no top and no doors throwing dirt and making dust clouds. Fast forward and a few pickup trucks later, I am stopped at a traffic light and a 4 door Jeep with no top or doors makes a left turn crossing in front me.... All I could think was "WOW!" Well, fast forward about 5 more years and I really wanted a JKU... even with my company preferred customer discount.. still out of my budget. Well I recently went to the dealer with my 2014 Ram 3500Megacab...4 yrs old with 45K miles. I drive a company truck so it made a great driveway ornament. I know that is not the life a Cummins diesel was designed for so I figured it would be better to be in someone's possession that may have a better chance of using it for what it was meant. I test drove a couple of JL sports (1 lifted, 1 stock) and both were crazy to drive over 60-65mph.. both hands on the wheel all the time. So then I went to the Sahara and saw it had the 120V outlet(which I need for my work computer). Drove 2 of those again 1 lifted, 1 stock.. Nothing changed from the Sport models. I knew Rubicons were the upper end of the Jeeps and did not envision myself getting one as I know it is more capable than what I could ever put it through. Salesman told me it has different axles and is a tad bit wider which may help with handling. So I tried it.. AHHHMAZING! One hand on the wheel doing the "wave" and I wasn't even an owner yet! Then my wife suggests we try a RAM Laramie Longhorn.... totally not me- too fufu. I have owned a bunch of trucks but never a Jeep. They told me what they would give me on trade which was more than I was expecting and I drove away in a white JLUR hardtop with the front roof panels in the back and a smile on my face! I find myself at work wishing I was in my Jeep and can't wait until the next time I can jump in it and go! Best part is that it gets the same fuel mileage as my big truck, but gas is cheaper than diesel fuel and my payment went up by $20/month. I can't wait to start hitting some local trails and just drive with the top off!
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
i ordered a JL because i don't like the new 4Runner and the Tacoma drives like a slug on the road compared to a wrangler (i test drove back to back). that was 3 months ago and still no jeep so im starting to second guess my choice.

Last edited:

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I owned a jeep since 1998, and been through a few models since. When the damn dirty apes attack and kill us all, I'll be heading' into the mountains to live off of grubs and berries as long as possible. Gather your bug-out-bags, AR 15 and faithful Australian Shepard....its coming folks!

Seriously...been a Jeep guy since my brother bought his CJ7 back in the day. Never looked back...just upgraded a few times. Out of all of them, I miss my TJ. It was my first, and I wish I still had it.....so simple to work on.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The boring stuff...I can afford it, I half ass think it's what I need for improving my retired years of upland birdhunting experience. I'm an equipment guy. Why not?

Sponsored

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Back when I was 18 in the early 90s, my best friend owned a CJ7 with no top and no doors. We used to cruise around and pick up girls. It was so easy in that vehicle and I've wanted one ever since. Once I started my career, I've always had the means to buy a Wrangler. Not sure why I didn't until now at 46 years old. You're suppose to name your Jeep but my wife and kids already call it "Midlife Crisis".

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
i ordered a JL because i don't like the new 4Runner and the Tacoma drives like a slug on the road compared to a wrangler (i test drove back to back). that was 3 months ago and still no jeep so im starting to second guess my choice.
WOW, that sucks! I was lucky to find the one I wanted locally so I didn't have to wait.....well, I waited 2 days if you consider that a wait. I've never ordered a vehicle before so I don't know what the normal wait time is. You will be glad you waited, trust me. I've had min for 5 months now, and I'm always excited whenever I drive it

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Back when I was 18 in the early 90s, my best friend owned a CJ7 with no top and no doors. We used to cruise around and pick up girls. It was so easy in that vehicle and I've wanted one ever since. Once I started my career, I've always had the means to buy a Wrangler. Not sure why I didn't until now at 46 years old. You're suppose to name your Jeep but my wife and kids already call it "Midlife Crisis".
Is the wife afraid you'll be driving the strip on the beach picking up girls with it? hahaha
They can call it whatever they want, just don't put a decal on the hood with "Midlife Crisis"

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Is the wife afraid you'll be driving the strip on the beach picking up girls with it? hahaha
They can call it whatever they want, just don't put a decal on the hood with "Midlife Crisis"
Middle-aged Gray-haired overweight computer nerd. Nope, she’s not afraid. :)

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
To flat tow behind the DP.

Sponsored

TankGirl

First Name
VRae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
Sith Lord
I couldn’t let @TTEChris be cooler than me so I ditched my mom mobile for a JL.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve always wanted a Jeep but could never afford one. I started off with a Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser when I was a young man. I’ve lived in Florida most of my life and am a backwoods swamp-stomper, so the LC was a good choice at the time. I have been driving off-road my whole life, on my own and with the US Army. Off-roading is 60% driving skill and 40% equipment. I could successfully take a 2WD truck where many guys couldn’t get through with a 4x4.

I have owned trucks my whole life. Towards the end of my Army career I bought a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2WD with rear locker; I called it a three-wheel drive. I loved it. It was a remarkably capable machine. But I bought it as my second choice, because I could not afford my first choice, a Jeep Wrangler.

I retired from the Army a few years later at 30 years total. I am now a 100% disabled veteran. A month ago I got a wild hair up my butt and started researching Jeep Wranglers again. I went to a dealership, not NEEDING a new vehicle but WANTING a Wrangler. I figured I deserved it. I drove it off the lot a few hours after test-driving it - a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sport 4x4, 2.0T, with various upgrades including a limited-slip diff and a 3rd generation Dana 44 rear axle. Out of all of the vehicles I have owned in my life, I love this Wrangler the most! It is extremely capable and tons of fun! Reminds me of a big girl I once knew...

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
To add to my last post, I basically stole my Wrangler from the dealership. It is a 2018, and 2020s will be coming out soon. They needed to get rid of it. By law, if it sits on the lot for 400 days or more, they MUST sell it as a pre-owned vehicle. I got a heckuva deal.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I live in the mountains of Northern New England. Tons of snow in winter and lots of mud come springtime make it imperative to be able to call on all your wheels to deliver traction when needed. We have had many Outbacks, over the years to help navigate us through some pretty challenging days and they have always been up to the task. The Jeep, however, is the coolest freakin vehicle for the job ! Nothing looks this good ! Its sits out there in the driveway,with its Mojito suit on, beaming and ready to go. I completely understand why a "flat lander " would buy one of these things.
(not referring to trail chasers as I understand that aspect of owning a jeep)

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I had my 2014 JKU for 5 years and loved it. She was bulletproof for me and I have a lot of great memories with that Jeep. Put her through hell a few times too. I intended to run her to the ground, but one day I kept seeing JLs on the road on the way to work. Work was slow, I had downtime, so I checked out JL pictures and played around with the builder on Jeeps site. Checked JLs out in person a few days later and was hooked. I caught the bug.

The JL was exactly what I wanted, which is an improved JK that didn't compromise on what makes Wrangler a Wrangler. Jeep really did a great job retaining what makes a Wrangler and improving dramatically too.
Sponsored