Why did you buy a Jeep?

John Plewa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Greetings again...I could not find this question in the forum but am sure it’s out there. Why did you guys buy a Jeep? Value? Probably not. Comfort? Probably not. Cool factor? Off road capability? For me, I love the way I feel when driving it. I know there’s a zillion out there now but mine feels unique to me. Wondering what the rest of you think?
The "MUTT" brings back a lot of memories which I enjoyed riding and driving as a nineteen to twenty year old in 1969 (Vietnam) and 1970-71 near the DMZ of Korea.
Sponsored

Sponsored

crw04d

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
I had two Grand Cherokees (93 and 2003) and the 2003 had a ton of issues. I decided I was done with Jeeps. Had an explorer for 5 years and then a small 3 series and an A6. I think after driving the two foreign cars I realized how much they lose their value. I was all set to buy an F-150 when my wife said she'd prefer if I was getting an SUV to go look at a Wrangler.

Decided to do some research (my perspective on Jeeps wasn't good and that Wranglers would ride terrible). Decided to hold off on the F-150 for a while and just consider all options for a few months. After test driving the wrangler a few times on diff roads and diff speeds I decided I could manage the ride quality. Its not great but its fun, the F-150 drives way better but my wife has an XC90 Volvo that drives like a dream and we'll take on all of our longer trips anyways. Also we have two kids and a dog so it seemed like too much in the cab of a truck. I found a great deal on an all black 2019 Moab and always wanted an all black truck / SUV so I pulled the trigger 3 weeks ago. Love it so far and I get compliments all the time on it.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
Well, I decided back in June to hang up the helmet after 37yrs of riding and I needed something fun that would replace the Harley. I'd had an 04 KJ and a 12 KK in previous years, but had always wanted a Wrangler and it was finally time to get one. I was actually looking at a nice used 15 Rubicon at the dealer when I noticed a new JL sitting in the lineup. It was a leftover 18 2dr that nobody wanted because it had no options other than the 8sp auto. The more I looked it over the more I liked it... no power door locks, manual windows, soft top, no A/C... just a bare bones, no frills Jeep that needed a home. I wasn't keen on the 8sp auto, as I really wanted the 3 pedal DIY shifter, but was pleasantly surprised how smooth it worked on the test drive. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove and handled, period. So I pulled the trigger on it and 17,000km later I'm still happy with the decision.

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
My first 6 years were on jeep, in India, that was a left hand drive (India has right-hand drive) Willys that my dad had from his work. When he was moved to a different department, they revoked his jeep as he was off from field work to office work. The day he was walking back from work, without jeep, I realized I'm not gonna have it anymore and that day I told myself - I should buy one. And then, after moving to US 5 years ago, I bought one for myself, the 2018 Sahara.

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
first fell in love with it when i was like... 7 watching the first jurassic park (the chase scene with the t-rex behind them and jeff goldblum scooting back and hitting the stick) always wanted one since and finally made the purchase this past July! a JLU in stick ;)

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
B7D9368C-2DD2-4DCC-BF0F-EF8D5A9456F5.jpeg
BE5B81B3-C674-4715-8FE2-8CDF7398B491.jpeg
4B26F6F1-DEE1-433B-A0A0-39B290254AB1.jpeg
I remember riding in an army Jeep when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I wish that I still had that photo.
In middle school a man down the street from me had an orange CJ-5....and Of all the cars in the neighborhood, I adored that Jeep more than any other vehicle on the road. The family across the street from me were from Colorado and they had three vintage Jeeps...and they were a happy family. When I joined the army I was assigned an M151A2 Jeep. I fell in love with that Jeep.

My best friend purchased a new CJ-7 and I purchased a gently used 1980 CJ-5. I drove that Jeep from Germany to Pisa, Italy. I lived in Pisa for a couple of years and I did a lot of wheeling in The countryside and on the beaches
I got married, had to move.....and simply had too many vehicles.....so I sold my Jeep. I have always regretted selling it.
I have had 4x4 trucks. Sports cars and a myriad of motorcycles...but I always wanted another Jeep. I got a 2004 TJ Sport
and I KNEW that was the vehicle that I belonged in. I now have a JL 6 speed manual trans, 2 door Rubicon and my TJ. I use both evenly throughout the work week. The JL is luxury and beyond my ability capable of off road prowress. The TJ is a no nonsense, no frills REAL Jeep. I love them both, drive them both....and now rarely does the Corvette see daylight.
After I pass away...my boys will get those Jeeps, I won’t sell them...ever...Jeeps are part of my life style...part of who I am.

BE5B81B3-C674-4715-8FE2-8CDF7398B491.jpeg

4B26F6F1-DEE1-433B-A0A0-39B290254AB1.jpeg

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I needed a vehicle for off road exploring in the cold and snow of winter time. I already had two different UTV vehicles, a Can Am Maverick Trail for 50" wide trails, and a Can Am Maverick X3 XRC for rock crawling and high speed desert. But it gets pretty cold riding in them when temps are in the teens, or less. So I started looking at both the Can Am Defender with a cab and a Polaris Ranger XP with a cab. They want $30K to $34K for those things, and they are just basic and rather crude machines. I got to thinking "I could buy a Jeep for that much". So I did. They wouldn't discount the UTVs one dime at the local dealership, and actually added on extra charges. They discounted my Rubicon by over $6000, so that is now my off road exploring vehicle for bad weather days. :)
Sponsored