Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep?

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
In 1974 when I was a teenager my friend's dad bought a new CJ5 that he foolishly would give him the keys during the week that summer. We took the top off and went fishing, wheeling, and cruised the streets. We had V8 shot rods but we had way more fun with that thing. Never forgot it. After 20 years of driving Vettes as my fun car I just decided it was time to check the Jeep off of my bucket list. A 4 season any weather any road/trail condition convertible.
Sponsored

KananagaS

First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Owned many different types of vehicles in my life, but never thought of a Jeep. Back in 2017, I was relocated to Japan by work... heard the roads here are narrow, so I picked a Infiniti Q50S as a daily. The roads sure are narrow even for a Q50. 2.5 years later, I miss home so much and decided to buy something from the Stateside to ease the home sick. Jeep came to my mind, went check the JL out at the dealer one day and sign the paper on the same day. Have put 5000km on it within the two months of ownership; went skiing, light off-reading at the riverbanks, gone fishing... love how it drives. The roads.. no issues any more, with the tall suspension, big tires, and intimidating appearance; most cars stay away from me when I need to get in front of them.

074FF274-7F08-4587-80FF-DE7ABE9F6DC8.jpeg

28EC42CA-B328-42AB-978F-AC191A971945.jpeg

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I defied strict orders, but she got over it...

I wanted it, I can afford it, I am getting it...it is not up for discussion.
I followed a similar path. "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission", an old friend once told me. While I don't endorse or encourage this advice- It has proven an effective method given the factors mentioned above.

My wife asked: "Can't you just get a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? They're still Jeep"
I told her No- they can't do what my 04 Rubi could do- But a new Rubi could. It's not about the Jeep Brand- I'd be driving an old (or new?) Bronco, a Power Wagon, an old Jeep, or other heavily modified solid axle truck for off road use if I didn't have a Rubi.

"You said you're going to be taking a step back, what does it matter anyway?"
Only until our kid(s) is (are) old enough to go with me. Then I guarantee he's going to want to go, because it is a giant Hot Wheels car, and he loves hot wheels cars. I'm fairly sure our daughter will be the same (due in May). They are my kids, afterall.

"You're going to have time?"
If it matters, you make time.

"Are you going to lift this one and ruin it like the last ones?"
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about- or any idea of why and how things have changed. I admittedly was young and stupid, with no one but myself to worry about. The previous Jeeps were old, and thus I had little to lose when pushing the envelope on the trail with them. The picture is very different when you have a family and spend $40k+ on a brand new rig from the factory. I still plan on pushing the limits, but because of the last two I know better where they are now.

I've had my JLUR for a year and it's been a blast. Still no regrets. The only thing I'd even consider changing is opting for the Diesel and getting heated leather seats and the larger Nav/upgraded sound system. That's very minor though. As it sits, everything is pretty fantastic.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Straight up stress relief! I am a veteran who cannot be stuck in a cage anymore and need some relaxation time (slowdown mode) from the world (fake news, Facebook, Twitter, etc).

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I had $60,000 to burn. So, I figured why not get a loaded Rubi.

Sponsored

KananagaS

First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I had $60,000 to burn. So, I figured why not get a loaded Rubi.
Awesome.... I would have got a Rubi if it is as equipped as in the States. No high fenders, no Rubi specific suspension, no 33” tires... Not sure how they sale Rubi over Sahara in Japan. I cannot wait to the end of my term and return to the States...

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
I discovered Wranglers 10 years ago and fell in love.

I love the fact that we can take road trips no matter what time of year or road conditions. I love taking my Wrangler on a trail and feeling the suspension conform to the terrain. I love that Wranglers hold their value and you can customize them a million different ways.

Earlier this year I decided I had enough of Jeeps and traded it in for a 2019 Toyota Tacoma. That only lasted six months. Couldn’t stand the driving position, the reluctant automatic transmission, the weak motor, the sea of blandness...

Ten days ago picked up a JLU Sahara. Although it is brand-new it feels like a pair of well-worn, comfortable shoes.
nc_oc=AQk0BVVBfRYEOol5IscsgJpwnehkCzPbj0PTx5mexrIUdnqo3ycpLx2Nz4q4ZKPa4bU&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
I'm in the same boat. Traded my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hardrock in for a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. Trying to go back to a Jeep. Either a 2-door or 4-door Rubicon. Even though the Tacoma supposedly holds its resale value, I'm in fear of a major blood bath in trading it in. Bracing for the worst.

tatltael

First Name
Suneel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited JL
Awesome.... I would have got a Rubi if it is as equipped as in the States. No high fenders, no Rubi specific suspension, no 33” tires... Not sure how they sale Rubi over Sahara in Japan. I cannot wait to the end of my term and return to the States...
Same story here. In fact the Rubi has black fenders with no option to change them too. Hardly anything over the Sahara besides lockers and the sway bar disconnect. And the same hood as the Sahara.

I went with a Sahara and bumped the tires up to 33s. It was way cheaper and made more sense for my usage.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is a great topic.
I've owned 4 cars since HS and I've gone through every phase there is growing up when owning a car. I've gone through the tuning phase with a , Sports car phase, and luxury car phase. All of which were used cars. I got to the point where I wanted own to new car and man up and have a car payment haha. So when it came down to figuring out what my next car would be the new JL stood out like the most. Having the capability to go through trails and through snow without hesitation was very appealing. Also having a removable top like I had with my sports was a plus.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Never owned a jeep mostly driven sedans, and wanted a vehicle that I could take out in to the bush and daily drive it, wasn't sure if I would like the wrangler, wasn't sure I would like wheeling, and it was a scary buy with a lot of potential regret. 6 months later been wheeling about 5 times now, did a spacer lift, new front bumper, a winch, and don't have any real regrets, wish I got something else than black and not getting a rubicon, other than that I love it, a very capable machine.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned several Jeeps over the last 20 some years:
1977 CJ5 with 304 V8
1995 ZJ
1999 XJ
2004 TJ Rubicon
I sold the 04 TJ in 2013 and regretted it ever since. The main reason I bought my 2018 JLUR is I love having a Wrangler and the ability to go anywhere in any weather. It might not be the fastest, most efficient, or most comfortable vehicle, but it's dependable and very capable.

Deleted member 59098

Owned many different types of vehicles in my life, but never thought of a Jeep. Back in 2017, I was relocated to Japan by work... heard the roads here are narrow, so I picked a Infiniti Q50S as a daily. The roads sure are narrow even for a Q50. 2.5 years later, I miss home so much and decided to buy something from the Stateside to ease the home sick. Jeep came to my mind, went check the JL out at the dealer one day and sign the paper on the same day. Have put 5000km on it within the two months of ownership; went skiing, light off-reading at the riverbanks, gone fishing... love how it drives. The roads.. no issues any more, with the tall suspension, big tires, and intimidating appearance; most cars stay away from me when I need to get in front of them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why did you buy a Jeep? 1607708955736

Jeep Wrangler JL Why did you buy a Jeep? 1607708955736
I have a friend in Japan who thought my Jeep was so wild when I sent a picture. Is that Fuji Rakusa rest stop in that picture. I had family from very near there.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
In December 1996 I went into a Dodge dealer to buy a new Caravan and somehow left with a bare bones 2 dr XJ and in Feb 2000 I discovered a brand new jeep club and promptly joined. I wheeled the XJ for a few months then sold it and bought a new 2000 TJ sport, them traded that for a new 2003 Rubicon in October 2002. I wheeled that until I sold it in Feb 2007. I was jeepless until late 2011 when I found a smoking deal on an ‘05 LJ Rubicon and wheeled it for a few years until I decided to do a major overhaul with new suspension, LS powered and JK axles. That 4 month project sat in my garage unfinished for 6-1/2 years and in the meantime I bought another LJ Rubicon and wheeled it until I bought the JL this past October.

Funny story how I ended up with the JL since I had absolutely no intention of buying one until the day before I picked it up.

My wifr decided to hit an elk in her 4 month old 4 Runner and the insurance company gave us a 2020 JL Sahara as a rental. I drove that for a month or so and really, really tried to dislike it but couldn’t find a single thing I disliked about it.

I called a buddy and sold my running LJ after a 10 minute conversation, immediately bought the JL, then called another buddy and he bought my project LJ.

Last edited: