Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Dealer fixed first week of ownership.
No issues here
Sponsored

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
while you may have a steering issue, do some background research before venting. The vast majority of stealing issues were caused by over ininflating tires by the factory. Even for the mechanically challenged, managing tire pressure is kind of a fundamental skill necessary for car ownership. If that fails, other threads also mentioned the apparent ease in adjusting the streering dampening.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This JL owner got a replacement JL for the welding issue. His brand new JL replacement has steering issues - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-w-repair-procedure.16255/page-50#post-418383

Near accident in a JL due to steering problems, brought to dealer 3 times, still not fixed, has less than 500 miles on it. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...the-2018-wrangler-jl.14280/page-3#post-387753

Several new posts with more steering issues on the main JL Wrangler steering thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
My first JL had wandering steering that was noted on the first drive. Being new to Jeeps and having driven trucks in the past I figured it was something normal for the breed and I could live with it since everything else was great. Due to electrical issues that couldn't be resolved, my replacement had buttery smooth and almost sports car like steering (by comparision).. In my opinion, it appears there ste multiple issues with these customer complaints, some are certainly mechanical (bump steer, wobble, wander, etc) and some may be software like those resolved in prior posts here.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.
Because I wanted a Jeep, and I knew I could fix it, even if I had to pay out of pocket. To me owning a Jeep is worth it......:rock:

Sponsored

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Didn't notice a problem prior to purchase. Still seems fine however I have felt it wanders a bit at freeway speeds. Honestly don't know if it is an issue or me just reacting to all the complaints i have read on forums. Down side of theses sites i believe is you are confronted with all sorts of issues that you may not have even noticed had you not been made aware of them on the forum.
Overall this is my third Jeep and still love the vehicle . JL in my opinion the most like a daily driver car and that is how we are using it.
I agree. The same holds true with the Duramax forums. The wah wah crowd whines about everything: safety, poor build and my favorite fuel economy. For the life of me I don’t get it. You buy a truck that weighs over 7000 pounds, with 450 horsepower engine, and the front end shaped like a slightly slanted piece of plywood and complain about 15mpg when you drive it back an forth to work.

BB94AAA1-87BE-4657-AE5B-B32473F6F815.jpeg

J.Mentzer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Mojito! Rubicon
I have only 550 miles on my 19 JLUR and I find the steering fantastic!
Over time we’ll see, but for now I’m really liking this little 4x4 go cart as I call it as my old rig was a Ram 2500 with 35’s.
>>> No issues here <<<

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great steering here, only white-knuckle times have come in an ice storm (with my E-rated Patagonias aired to 40 psi-yikes!), and those wind-blocked cross winds when you pass a big rig then get that sudden sideways blast of air. Otherwise everything steering related has been predictable and tight.
Sponsored