Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
So I'm about to order one and curious which version I'll get. Seems like it's a luck of a draw.
Would I be better off test driving a bunch on the lot and pick the one that drives straight with similar equipment list to the one I had in mind? This is all new to me with American cars and the level of acceptance of stuff broken right out of the gate :)
If you special order , you can still test drive it before you accept it . And the special order will have a more recent assembly . I'd special order over choosing on a lot , myself .

When you buy on a lot the salesman is pressuring you , no ?
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
If you special order , you can still test drive it before you accept it . And the special order will have a more recent assembly . I'd special order over choosing on a lot , myself .

When you buy on a lot the salesman is pressuring you , no ?
That makes sense. The only fear is once it shows up 2 months later and it's got messed up steering then what? Start all over again ordering another one? Salesmen don't pressure me, I just walk away - we have 6-8 Jeep dealers within a 50-mile radius :)

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
There is tons of info related to this topic throughout the forums. YouTube also.
There is a DISTINCT Difference between a low power steering at highway speeds and excessive play in the steering gear box.
The TSB only fixes what some people experience “steering requires more effort at highway speeds”. The “flash” will NOT fix a loose steering gear box. This “loose” steering resulting in excessive play in the steering wheel is what most of the jL owners on here are talking about.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
0 issues. Why are we still beating a dead horse?

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Not on our M151A1 's . Why not ? Military quality control , that's why .
We didnt have to worry about wandering at highway speeds....
1st most of the time There was NO highway
2nd: if tere was a highway, there was NO such thing as SPEED on it. Down hill on the highway..... 50, maybe 55 best

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
We didnt have to worry about wandering at highway speeds....
1st most of the time There was NO highway
2nd: if tere was a highway, there was NO such thing as SPEED on it. Down hill on the highway..... 50, maybe 55 best
Also better manufacturing quality control in the first place , including testing during design .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
That makes sense. The only fear is once it shows up 2 months later and it's got messed up steering then what? Start all over again ordering another one? Salesmen don't pressure me, I just walk away - we have 6-8 Jeep dealers within a 50-mile radius :)
No fear if you find out before you sign the papers and fork over the price .

Fear would come if you don't test drive , and you find out on the way home .

Yep , start all over again ordering another one . You're in the driver's seat with a special order .

Last edited:

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Many of you mentioned a computer update for steering? Could someone provide specifics? I've been to several dealers without resolution. My steering issue wasn't noticed on test drive. Highway driving reveals the issue on mine. thanks
I had what I call a dead spot at center. Not bad until speeds over 65, then you had to really work at keeping in the proper lane. Dropped cold air pressure to 34-35 pounds. That helped a little. Went to dealership for free oil change. He performed the computer flash. Wow, what a difference. No more steering issues.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
You sold because of the steering?
Not necessarily. A number of things sort of wore on me, and I’m just one of those crazy people that swaps vehicles entirely too often anyways. So, it just happened to be a deal I ran across on another vehicle and I went with it

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Not necessarily. A number of things sort of wore on me, and I’m just one of those crazy people that swaps vehicles entirely too often anyways. So, it just happened to be a deal I ran across on another vehicle and I went with it
what did you buy now?

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My steering wasn't bad but wasn't great either. Dealer did the computer update and it is now great. It really is a Jeep thing. It's not a sedan, it's not even a newer pickup. It's going to be loud at highway speeds and you won't get out after your 500 mile trip feeling refreshed like in your Mercedes. But you will get a big smile on your face every time you drive it.
And walk away from it and look back at it 3 times in the parking lot :)

tommymck

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sashara
Is there a consensus on why some have the issue and some don't? I've had 1,5K on my Sahara and the steering on it is tight as a drum. I don't doubt based on the threads here that others are having a real issue, but I'm wondering why it seems inconsistent.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Didn't notice a problem prior to purchase. Still seems fine however I have felt it wanders a bit at freeway speeds. Honestly don't know if it is an issue or me just reacting to all the complaints i have read on forums. Down side of theses sites i believe is you are confronted with all sorts of issues that you may not have even noticed had you not been made aware of them on the forum.
Overall this is my third Jeep and still love the vehicle . JL in my opinion the most like a daily driver car and that is how we are using it.
Sponsored