Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
Many of you mentioned a computer update for steering? Could someone provide specifics? I've been to several dealers without resolution. My steering issue wasn't noticed on test drive. Highway driving reveals the issue on mine. thanks
CFFC5A33-0656-4746-AB2A-4A81B06D3991.jpeg
Sponsored

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
Iā€™m walking into my dealer tomorrow and test driving a JLUR. I have my build ready and Iā€™m supposed to put my deposit down as well. I will drive the one they have and see if I notice any play at highway speed...donā€™t think Iā€™ll get to do the 100mile test drives some have gotten away with. Either way mine should be ready for pick up December, Iā€™m hoping his issue has been addressed by then. I just wish fca acknowledges the problem, it would ease your minds that a solution is coming.
Make the smallest deposit necessary in case you have to walk away.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I dunno.... Didnā€™t feel it much at first, and mine was ordered. But after just 6 months, I have sold it (for $1000 less than I paid). So all is well now! Steering like a champ.

musicaldoc

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Here in Eu we are able to place orders of the MY18 since only few days ago... so is the steering problem affecting MY18 and your MY19 or one only of them or has it been solved?
Dealers here don't know anything about this... what should I check other than the phisical movement, I mean is there a particular question regarding software I have to check before taking home the JL?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Don't forget your test drive at highway speeds . Don't allow your test drive Jeep to bump a police car .
How can you test at highway speed if you are supposed to keep it under 50 for 60 miles during the break in period?
will getting up to highway speed during break in do any damage if it is for a short distance?

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I dunno.... Didnā€™t feel it much at first, and mine was ordered. But after just 6 months, I have sold it (for $1000 less than I paid). So all is well now! Steering like a champ.
You sold because of the steering?

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
How can you test at highway speed if you are supposed to keep it under 50 for 60 miles during the break in period?
will getting up to highway speed during break in do any damage if it is for a short distance?
I have never done the whole break in period thing with any car. Honestly, if I was driving below highway speeds around here, someone would likely drive right into me.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I test drove multiple JLs, every single one had the horrible steering. But, I knew that it was an electronic steering motor powering the pump and I made a bet that a software flash would cure it...and it did. So, I am happy I went ahead and brought one home.

Unfortunately, dealers/people/FCA started jacking around with the steering boxes before they gave the software fixes time to make it around the nation so now we've got hardware issues too and it has compounded the problem.
I am curious; Where did you get this information? Many JL owners could benefit from your knowledge.

Hubtech

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OB JKUR
Yep, mines fine.

If mine was "messed up" and i hadn't gone to the trouble of bringing it to the dealer for the reprogram that fixes it my response would we "because I like the challenge"

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Excellent question . How will you get your Jeep from MA home to NY ? Will you drive it at 49 mph , without a test drive ?

Seriously , how about driving at 49 mph during a highway steering test drive ? To see for yourself if it steers correctly or not ?

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yep, mines fine.

If mine was "messed up" and i hadn't gone to the trouble of bringing it to the dealer for the reprogram that fixes it my response would be "because I like the challenge"
Awesome thinking ! Think of the steering as a fun "challenge" , lol .

Last edited:

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I took a test drive, but did not notice much...the experience was fun and all new. Took it after delivery on a trip, and spent a lot of time correcting the steering. Kind of like driving in mud or dep snow. The main problem? The steering shaft can move about 5 degrees before it stops and contacts the gears. I do not think software will mesh the gears any better. Debating whether to split for a new gearbox. My wife's offroader is rock solid. You cannot turn the wheel with slop, and moving it even with the engine off makes the wheels want to turn.
Encycloman Has got this CORRECT!
Those of us who are older remember that we had the same steering issues on our older vehicles. Back then we all knew this was normal and when it became excessive, we would tighten the steering gear box via the adjustment bolt/locknut. My 1983 Jeep steering gear box had to be slightly tightened. Encycloman Is correct: there is NO flash that will tighten up a set of loose steering gears. Letting air out of your tires may help it track straight, but the underlying problem is still the gearbox. This would be an easy fix but somewhere along the line ā€œlocktiteā€ has been applied to the adjustment bolt and the lock nut making it very difficult.
Kuddos to JeepInformant: he has presented a video where he systematically goes over almost every symptom that can cause the wandering and he offers a fix...... by tightening the steering gear box. More importantly he explains how to gently overcome the lock between the adjustment bolt and the lock nut. I believe we will see many many wandering jlā€™s ... driving straight and happy again.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Those of us who are older remember that we had the same steering issues on our older vehicles. Back then we all knew this was normal and when it became excessive, we would tighten the steering gear box via the adjustment bolt/locknut.
Not on our M151A1 's . Why not ? Military quality control , that's why .

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
So I'm about to order one and curious which version I'll get. Seems like it's a luck of a draw.
Would I be better off test driving a bunch on the lot and pick the one that drives straight with similar equipment list to the one I had in mind? This is all new to me with American cars and the level of acceptance of stuff broken right out of the gate :)
Sponsored