Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Something had to have happened with their assembly teams or its process after their first few batches of JLs. I bought my JL in January, fresh out of the oven, and don't have any of these problems. My steering is perfect. My welds are just fine. My ball joints are nice and tight. My freedom panels came with the bag. The only recall I have is U62 for the PCM, but that's an issue across the entire spectrum of FCA vehicles, not just Jeep.

The only problem I've had is the spring isolator design flaw in the 2" Mopar Lift Kit and that was easily rectified. And Jeep still won't admit they fucked that up!

Every time a new flaw crops up that ends up growing in numbers of those affected, I naturally assume that as an extremely early adopter, I'm going to be among them by nature of the JL being a completely new first-year vehicle, but I don't. My JL has been far more reliable than all three of the JKs I've owned.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I bought in May, and I have no steering issues. In fact I enjoy driving again, and look for excuses to drive it.

skybolt551

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm sorry you are such a sissy. I love red jeeps I've owned many jeeps over the years along with many sports cars. I have worked on cars and airplanes all my life. I am a jet pilot and I have FAA aircraft mechanics ratings A &P and IA (inspection authorization) the highest rating given by the FAA. I bought the jeep knowing the problems with confidence I could fix it to get the car that I wanted. I know how to fix the Jeep steering problems. I have come up with a complete step by step process for my dealer to fix it. If they don't fix it , I will. I am not a sissy when it comes to mechanics. I'm sorry you are.

skybolt551

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.

Sponsored

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.
What type of steering issue are you talking about like when I turn the wheel left and the jeep turns left or when I turn wheel right the jeep turns right ?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I guess my Jeep is special my JLUR HAS NO STEERING ISSUES

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
No steering issues here. JLUR. Cheers.

OP
OP

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I'm sorry you are such a sissy. I love red jeeps I've owned many jeeps over the years along with many sports cars. I have worked on cars and airplanes all my life. I am a jet pilot and I have FAA aircraft mechanics ratings A &P and IA (inspection authorization) the highest rating given by the FAA. I bought the jeep knowing the problems with confidence I could fix it to get the car that I wanted. I know how to fix the Jeep steering problems. I have come up with a complete step by step process for my dealer to fix it. If they don't fix it , I will. I am not a sissy when it comes to mechanics. I'm sorry you are.
It's OK brother. Let all the hurt out. I know it can be tough out there and really letting people know how you feel can be so freeing. You need to love yourself. When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, smile and tell yourself, "I'm Mike, and I like being me!" I swear you'll feel better! Be well my friend!

Sponsored

Blackwing 55

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR , 05 5.9 Dodge , 2014 Goldwing
Yeah, I bought my JLUR out of state and unseen, Picked it up in Idaho and drove it 400 miles home to Wyoming it now has 5,500 miles on it and already seen many miles of rugged trails, along the way I've met many new JL owners, mine steers great better than any other live axle Jeep I've drove and I've heard nothing but praise from the other JL owners. The only complaints I see are right here. Don't worry you'll love your new JL.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Are we really calling each other sissies? Or were you being sarcastic?

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
So own a JK. Drove a JL Rubicon Sat for about a mile. Pulled over and let wife drive. Honestly cause I was kinda feeling weird, scared almost driving it. Anyways about 30 min later I took it out again with the salesman. Yup same scary feeling, kinda like sitting on a barstool with little wheels. Anyways I felt like I had no control of the jeep. So today I went and drove another Rubicon that just came off truck and was PDI when i waited for it to test drive. Wow what a difference. I felt like i was in control and back to being comfortable like my 2dr jk. So I believe there are some issues out there. And now after ready this thread it has to be the stearing.
Now i just need to decide if we are still gonna upgrade from my 2dr jk freedom to a 4dr Rubi