Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Having owned more jeeps than I can remember, somewhere around 20-25, I don't think they are a sports car. If you think your jeep is going to steer and handle as well as your (insert name of almost any car) it's not going to. Jeeps are not built for that.
But judging by the number of them I see running down the interstate at 80mph they must steer and handle OK.
If steering and handling are super important you might be better served by an AWD Charger. Cheers

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Mine does not have a steering issue. As a matter of fact, I find the steering to be much improved over my previous JKs. The steering feels like a regular SUV now.

Last edited:

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
No steering issues here

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I test drove multiple JLs, every single one had the horrible steering. But, I knew that it was an electronic steering motor powering the pump and I made a bet that a software flash would cure it...and it did. So, I am happy I went ahead and brought one home.

Unfortunately, dealers/people/FCA started jacking around with the steering boxes before they gave the software fixes time to make it around the nation so now we've got hardware issues too and it has compounded the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having owned more jeeps than I can remember, somewhere around 20-25, I don't think they are a sports car. If you think your jeep is going to steer and handle as well as your (insert name of almost any car) it's not going to. Jeeps are not built for that.
But judging by the number of them I see running down the interstate at 80mph they must steer and handle OK.
If steering and handling are super important you might be better served by an AWD Charger. Cheers
Yes, steering is important. My main driver is an '83 pickup so I understand non-sports car steering and bad handling. I must have not been clear in my initial question. People are complaining of serious play in the wheel. I am curious to why they paid their money and drove off the lot with a vehicle they felt was defective. I drove multiple JL's, one had play in the steering and the others did not. Cheers back.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
My steering wasn't bad but wasn't great either. Dealer did the computer update and it is now great. It really is a Jeep thing. It's not a sedan, it's not even a newer pickup. It's going to be loud at highway speeds and you won't get out after your 500 mile trip feeling refreshed like in your Mercedes. But you will get a big smile on your face every time you drive it.

OP
OP

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My steering wasn't bad but wasn't great either. Dealer did the computer update and it is now great. It really is a Jeep thing. It's not a sedan, it's not even a newer pickup. It's going to be loud at highway speeds and you won't get out after your 500 mile trip feeling refreshed like in your Mercedes. But you will get a big smile on your face every time you drive it.
I mainly drive a 35 year old pickup truck so I get the whole loud, shitty handling thing.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Just curious- those complaining of steering issues- have you modified the suspension in any way?

I ask, because I recently swapped out to the rubicon suspension (factory one) and noticed the steering seems much tighter. I never had an issue prior, but I can tell the difference. Thoughts on this being related to suspension not being buttoned up out of the factory (like the fuses)?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I agree. While yes some people seem to have steering issues a lot DONT. And I think the majority don't. I think also a large percentage don't know what to expect from a Solid Front Axle vehicle and one with no aerodynamics at that. I sort of noticed the same when we bought our 2018 4Runner. It didn't steer as great as the 07' Xterra we replaced it with. These new vehicles have steering that seems almost too easy to move, its like you don't have to apply force. I can let go my steering in my JLU and have it drive straight no matter what speed I'm at but If i touch the steering wheel and move slightly left or right it will respond easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. While yes some people seem to have steering issues a lot DONT. And I think the majority don't. I think also a large percentage don't know what to expect from a Solid Front Axle vehicle and one with no aerodynamics at that. I sort of noticed the same when we bought our 2018 4Runner. It didn't steer as great as the 07' Xterra we replaced it with. These new vehicles have steering that seems almost too easy to move, its like you don't have to apply force. I can let go my steering in my JLU and have it drive straight no matter what speed I'm at but If i touch the steering wheel and move slightly left or right it will respond easily.
That is reassuring.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I have one on order. I will test drive and see if it has steering issues or play. If it does I’ll walk away and find something on a lot without issues. Not going to wait again if I can help it.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 door steers and corners great with 37's. It does sick burn outs and I can drift it too. Skrrrt!
Sponsored