Sponsored

Why did t the rubicon get the enhanced rails?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
why did the MOAB get the better rails? The rubicon is the top of the line Jeep.
Sponsored

Sponsored

TX MOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 MOAB
Depends what you think top of the line means. I have always thought the Sahara was the top of the line while the Rubicon is the most capable.
Agree, but the rails easily fall inside the capable department. I have wondered the same thing the OP notes actually.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Why did the Sport get the Eurostyle bumper? I dig it but it did not come with my Rubicon??

Reactions: JC7

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Either rails arenā€™t going to protect much on a hard drop on a big rock.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2ā€ Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so this conversation has gone so far off the rails Iā€™ve got to wade in. First of all the Rubicon has been and always will be the top of the line most capable Jeep Wrangler. Second the Sahara is an overly expensive wrangler with leather, extra paint, and tech which you can replicate with options on the Rubicon but which the reverse is impossible (sway bar disconnect, front and rear wheel lockers. Ect). The ā€œMoabā€ sits between. Refinements of the Sahara with some, not all, the capability of the Rubicon. Most noteably no front and rear wheel lockers or sway bar disconnect (and if you donā€™t no what that means look it up Noob). The side rails that Iā€™ve seen are the same Ruby rock rails l. However lame Sahara step rails are also available (which kill ground clearance). Here is a quote from Jeep. ā€œItā€™s based on the four-door Wrangler Sahara trim, but it gets a good amount of parts from the higher-range Rubicon trim.ā€. Higher range being the key point here. Donā€™t get me wrong. I commend all jeepers. You can buy a sport and build it up to be a Ruby killer but donā€™t confuse the badge for status.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
why did the MOAB get the better rails? The rubicon is the top of the line Jeep.
So they could sell more jeeps. Marketing department said theyā€™d sell more at a better profit.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so this conversation has gone so far off the rails Iā€™ve got to wade in. First of all the Rubicon has been and always will be the top of the line most capable Jeep Wrangler. Second the Sahara is an overly expensive wrangler with leather, extra paint, and tech which you can replicate with options on the Rubicon but which the reverse is impossible (sway bar disconnect, front and rear wheel lockers. Ect). The ā€œMoabā€ sits between. Refinements of the Sahara with some, not all, the capability of the Rubicon. Most noteably no front and rear wheel lockers or sway bar disconnect (and if you donā€™t no what that means look it up Noob). The side rails that Iā€™ve seen are the same Ruby rock rails l. However lame Sahara step rails are also available (which kill ground clearance). Here is a quote from Jeep. ā€œItā€™s based on the four-door Wrangler Sahara trim, but it gets a good amount of parts from the higher-range Rubicon trim.ā€. Higher range being the key point here. Donā€™t get me wrong. I commend all jeepers. You can buy a sport and build it up to be a Ruby killer but donā€™t confuse the badge for status.
No, Moab does not come with the Rubicon rock rail. The performance rock rail on Moab is like an extended version of the Rubi rail, and has a hefty price tag of $900+ if you want to add that to Rubicon.

Although I got say, Moab JL is just a rushed-out version of slam-it-all and have no clear target audiences:
(1) It has steel bumper front but plastic rear bumper, just why why why?
(2) It is Sahara trim but come with M/T tires, which are the most street unfriendly ones you can find on earth. KM2 sucks at all situation except in deep mud.
(3) It carry "Moab" name but are less capable in Moab than any other JL except Sahara because the AWD and no locker.

The only thing I like about Moab is probably their black out Rubicon wheels, and if Mopar sells them alone, it would save a lot ppl trip to powdercoat shop.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Special editions always have something different about them. A combination of options not normally available, color scheme, or some Mopar accessories. Thatā€™s why they are on the Moab.
Theyā€™re not on the Rubicon because a lot of people replace the standard rock rails. Mopar has the wide ones available as an accessory, which they can sell and charge to install. Itā€™s about making money.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Here's my 2 cents on why the MOAB gets the better rails, no one was buying the performance rails as an aftermarket part. BTW, our Sport was fitted with the performance rails by the dealer pre purchase and we love them. We don't rock crawl (see "Sport" above) so no idea how good they are protection wise but they are great for looks and an double as an entry step.
Sponsored