Sponsored

Why can't we use Carplay and JL wirelessly

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
2017 and up BMW 5 series and X5 (probably all models) have wireless CarPlay. Uconnect sucks lol. Better than previous versions but behind for a $52k vehicle.
Sponsored

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Doesn't BMW charge a monthly subscription to use CarPlay? No thanks.
I don't think there was a charge for that with mine. My problem with CarPlay on the BMW head unit was that the BMW screen was not a touchscreen. That was just fine for the BMW nav/radio/etc. since their interface worked well with the touchpad/button device on the center console, but having to use that to navigate the CarPlay screen was a nightmare.

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
I know my other cars with it the phone has to be plugged in also. It’s not just a Jeep thing.

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I know my other cars with it the phone has to be plugged in also. It’s not just a Jeep thing
It's not just a Jeep thing, it's an extra feature that costs money to implement, and possibly more money in licensing to Apple (although I'm not sure about this last point). If you look at the announcement about the upcoming Kenwood head units, for example, the cheaper models have wired only CarPlay, but the higher end models offer wireless CarPlay as well.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
SO... I set Android Auto to auto connect, it does it seamlessly, in fact if Im in the house and the wife rides by to park the Jeep in its house it will auto connect, and the vehicle is 100'+ away when it does connect.
Today I was attempting to try some apps, none I can get to work, I was connected via bt so I figured why not try to connect via cable and see if they would work, my Pixel 2 XL went FN nuts, I take the cable out and it goes back to normal.
If I shut down the vehicle, plug in then start or power up everything works normal, no crashing.
Seems Uconnect has some kind of bluetooth issues across the board, original 5" radio crashed all the time.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Attention Apple users: You buy a terrible product, you get a terrible service.

As for wireless connectivity, I don't understand the appeal. If I want my phone to communicate with the Jeep, I plug it in. It literally takes 5 seconds (or less). If I am driving a short distance down the street I don't even bother plugging in. That way I don't have to worry about battery drain or the phone doing something I don't want, meaning connecting to the Jeep.

Someone please tell me how it's a hardship or at all inconvenient to plug your phone in when using it with the Jeep console. Anyone that says they want the phone unplugged so they can look at their phone while they are driving should be prepared for hate.

Last edited:

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
As for wireless connectivity, I don't understand the appeal. If I want my phone to communicate with the Jeep, I plug it in. It literally takes 5 seconds (or less). If I am driving a short distance down the street I don't even bother plugging in. That way I don't have to worry about battery drain or the phone doing something I don't want, meaning connecting to the Jeep.
I'd put it in the same category as push-button start. It's 5 seconds (or less) to stick the key in the slot, too. Still, it is convenient to avoid having to do that. It also means that the phone doesn't have to come out of the pocket, etc. to connect, just like with the keys.

For all that, as you said, it's 5 seconds or less, so while it would be marginally more convenient to have either feature, I'm not going to spend any mental energy worrying about missing one or the other, either. I've had wireless CarPlay before. I did use it rather than plugging my phone in, just like I currently use wireless (bluetooth) to connect my phone to the 5-inch Uconnect3 unit right now (since I don't have CarPlay in the JL yet).

So my take is that no, it's not a hardship (or even much of an inconvenience) without wireless CarPlay, but if I had it I'd use it.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's absolutely preposterous to think that my 1000 iPhone cant connect to my 50K vehicle. What is this world coming to?!?! - LOL

#1stWorldProblems :CWL:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I'd put it in the same category as push-button start. It's 5 seconds (or less) to stick the key in the slot, too. Still, it is convenient to avoid having to do that. It also means that the phone doesn't have to come out of the pocket, etc. to connect, just like with the keys.

For all that, as you said, it's 5 seconds or less, so while it would be marginally more convenient to have either feature, I'm not going to spend any mental energy worrying about missing one or the other, either. I've had wireless CarPlay before. I did use it rather than plugging my phone in, just like I currently use wireless (bluetooth) to connect my phone to the 5-inch Uconnect3 unit right now (since I don't have CarPlay in the JL yet).

So my take is that no, it's not a hardship (or even much of an inconvenience) without wireless CarPlay, but if I had it I'd use it.
Key-less entry and push start are FAR more convenient and useful and not really comparable to the phone issue. Having to dig around for a key EVERY TIME you want to drive is completely different than maybe plugging in a phone if you need to, which isn't every time you drive. You DO need the key every time you enter and start if you don't have a key-less system.

This has nothing to do with conforming or not. There are FAR more Android devices in the world than iPhones, so your point doesn't make any sense.

Sponsored

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Someone please tell me how it's a hardship or at all inconvenient to plug your phone in when using it with the Jeep console.
To me, it is inconvenient. I sometimes find myself bored with SXM or the radio and would like to listen to the music on my phone. But Bluetooth is going to pick up where I left off and the ability to search or select new music wirelessly via the console is pretty limited, at least in my experience. It’s too much of a pita to pull my phone out of my front pants pocket while buckled in so I just do without.

It’s hardly a tale of woe but I’d definitely use it more if it were wireless.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
To me, it is inconvenient. I sometimes find myself bored with SXM or the radio and would like to listen to the music on my phone. But Bluetooth is going to pick up where I left off and the ability to search or select new music wirelessly via the console is pretty limited, at least in my experience. It’s too much of a pita to pull my phone out of my front pants pocket while buckled in so I just do without.

It’s hardly a tale of woe but I’d definitely use it more if it were wireless.
That's where "Hey Siri..." comes in... :like:

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
so yesterday wireless worked without a hitch, today no go... Seems my radio is still figuring out things, I can now control my ac from the radio which I could not 2 days ago. Also can now control the horn alert and all those settings that originally disappeared.

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
That's where "Hey Siri..." comes in... :like:
Siri and I frequently aren’t on speaking terms. She works fine when just talking into the phone but trying to get her to understand me In the Jeep is an exercise in frustration for some reason.
Sponsored