Sponsored

Why can't we use Carplay and JL wirelessly

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
FCA doesn't want to pay Apple for wireless CarPlay. At least they're not charging customers for it like BMW.
As of today, BMW no longer charges for CarPlay
Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Any workaround for mirroring phone, or playing videos on the screen than !?!? In park of course ;)
I'm not sure on the JL but the stereo shop we send clients to when they want something custom done, has a way to do it on a Porsche :) I would think it can be done.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Wireless CarPlay is decided by the manufacturer they decide how they want to implement CarPlay and go from there all apple does is provide the needed developer tools and codes to implement

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Wireless CarPlay is decided by the manufacturer they decide how they want to implement CarPlay and go from there all apple does is provide the needed developer tools and codes to implement
For wireless CarPlay the manufacture needs to purchase an encryption chip from Apple. This is similar to the encryption chip used in the AirPods and wireless beats headphones. It is mandatory for wireless CarPlay as Bluetooth has a few meter range and possible for man-in-the-middle attacks if not secured. Apple has made this mandatory for wireless CarPlay. BWM and a few others have gone the wireless route.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
For wireless CarPlay the manufacture needs to purchase an encryption chip from Apple. This is similar to the encryption chip used in the AirPods and wireless beats headphones. It is mandatory for wireless CarPlay as Bluetooth has a few meter range and possible for man-in-the-middle attacks if not secured. Apple has made this mandatory for wireless CarPlay. BWM and a few others have gone the wireless route.
interesting. Has the aftermarket come out with a solution to this yet? Would it be possible to DIY purchase/ install this?

I'm not saying I'm going to attempt, or that it's even reasonable... I'm just... curious.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm following your thread on that. Might be something I consider down the road, probably the easiest solution for this. I was just curious about a DIY encryption chip install solution because I know how people have taken apart Jeeps, and reassembled them since.... forever. And with the new Gen Jeeps and some of the new breed of Jeep buyers, there seems to be a decent amount of electrical/ computer programming knowledge.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I'm following your thread on that. Might be something I consider down the road, probably the easiest solution for this. I was just curious about a DIY encryption chip install solution because I know how people have taken apart Jeeps, and reassembled them since.... forever. And with the new Gen Jeeps and some of the new breed of Jeep buyers, there seems to be a decent amount of electrical/ computer programming knowledge.
Doubt it will happen.

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Looks like this in the user photos (At the bottom on the FAQ section) has ability to use your phone as a mirror as one person has there wallpaper on the dash screen - anyone confirm?
Can’t figure out how to do it
Sponsored