Sponsored

Why Can't the Rail Yard jump a dead battery?

MojitoRubi

First Name
Wayne Kuykendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1947 CJ2A Willy's, 2019 JLUR(On Order)
My JLUR landed in Mira Loma on Monday 1/21/2019. The dealer Hot Tagged it to get it quickly for me. On Wednesday the Rail yard said it was going to be delivered today. No Jeep. Thursday the dealer calls the Rail Yard. It has a dead battery. They can't jump it. Chrysler has to go to the rail yard and give it a jump. Fast forward to Friday. still no Chrysler to jump start my jeep. WTF? They won't let the dealer pick it up. They won't jump start it. The rail yard is 4 miles from the dealership. It has taken 90 days, 14 weeks or 3 months so far and still no jeep.

So frustrated...
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I know it sucks, but it really isn't the Rail Yards problem or the dealers problem. Its FCAs problem. If the battery died at the dealer its the dealers problem. If the battery is dead already it might be a faulty battery. Although if it was going through (or held up in) some of the freezing cold parts of the country recently that may have depleted it also.

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
There's no way the railroad will jump it because of liability -- if there is any damage found on delivery, even just a paint scratch FCA will say the damage must have happened when the RR jump-started, and the RR will say it must have happened at the factory. Its absolute bullsh*t that FCA hasn't contracted a local tow truck to start it. I 'm concerned why the battery is dead in the first place.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I 'm concerned why the battery is dead in the first place.
This. It stinks of a short. The electronics need a thourough inspection for any scorch marks, bad connections, or any sign at all as toward why the battery went dead.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This. It stinks of a short. The electronics need a thourough inspection for any scorch marks, bad connections, or any sign at all as toward why the battery went dead.
Or it was a bad battery. Not everything is due to a catastrophic failure.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Or it was a bad battery. Not everything is due to a catastrophic failure.
True, but it does deserve a good look to be sure.

Batteries usualy drain from a light being left on, it could be that, or a sloppy connection let something drain.

OP
OP
MojitoRubi

MojitoRubi

First Name
Wayne Kuykendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no way the railroad will jump it because of liability -- if there is any damage found on delivery, even just a paint scratch FCA will say the damage must have happened when the RR jump-started, and the RR will say it must have happened at the factory. Its absolute bullsh*t that FCA hasn't contracted a local tow truck to start it. I 'm concerned why the battery is dead in the first place.
And i'm sure nobody will work over the weekend to jump start a battery and then delivery the jeep to the dealer. The battery worries me as well. I hope that there is not a short int he jeep that drains the battery out.

OP
OP
MojitoRubi

MojitoRubi

First Name
Wayne Kuykendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but it does deserve a good look to be sure.

Batteries usualy drain from a light being left on, it could be that, or a sloppy connection let something drain.
The jeep turns off power after 5 minutes. Not sure leaving a light on would do it. But, It was built on 12/21/18. It was sitting in Detroit and then on a train since then. not sure how long a battery will last not being driven for a month.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The jeep turns off power after 5 minutes. Not sure leaving a light on would do it. But, It was built on 12/21/18. It was sitting in Detroit and then on a train since then. not sure how long a battery will last not being driven for a month.
Sitting in cold weather without starting, especially for long periods, can kill a battery. And it has been cold.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MojitoRubi

The JL is placed in "Ship Mode" while in production. This minimizes to a point, parasitic drainage / accessory power draw / power draw in general, during shipping to the dealership. Even with this, it is not real unusual for a battery(s) to become depleted enough where the JL in transit will not start.

So, with that said.. hopefully, the battery(s) just became depleted and little more. -- You do know the JL has two batteries...

By the way, "Ship Mode" will be turned off, by a dealership tech, when the JL, reaches the dealership. With just some button pushes on the dash Ship Mode, is turned off.

Actually, a Jl owner can re-activate Ship Mode, him or her self, but can only do so if the odometer has under 250 miles on it.

For the record, I did not learn about Ship Mode from a YouTube Video. 8-)

I mention the 250 mile thing, as guys that flat tow a JL, might read this and think geeeez, that would be useful when I flat tow for continuous days without starting the JL.

Anyway, sucks that you are waiting. Hang in there... I waited over 110 days for mine. I started wearing this t-shirt cuz I was ..

kid.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Oh, I wear this tee now...
shameless plug for the Tazer JL Mini.... ZAutomotive is a forum sponsor.. so...
Mini.png

OP
OP
MojitoRubi

MojitoRubi

First Name
Wayne Kuykendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Still no Jeep. Its still sitting at the Rail Yard waiting for a jump start. Its been 9 days since it was unloaded and i can't get it.

Getting so frustrated!!!!!!!!!

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Tazer JL Mini! :like: Nuf said.

OP
OP
MojitoRubi

MojitoRubi

First Name
Wayne Kuykendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well here we go on 21 days at the rail head and still no delivery of my jeep.
Dealer keeps calling and getting the run around from the delivery company.
I have called Jeep 3 times with no call back. They are supposed to start an investigation.

108 days since ordered placed
59 days since it was built
46 days since it was contracted and paid for in full through credit union
21 days sitting at the rail yard with a dead battery
17 days till my first payment is due

Zero help from JEEP= Priceless
Sponsored