Sponsored

Why can't Jeep US get their s**t together?

OP
OP
Wonder

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR (aka Juno) - Hydro Blue
“And hey, guess what?? Today, my dealer calls to tell me that Jeep US have stopped offering a Dual Top option for Australia. BUT, I can order one as an accessory at DOUBLE the price. That's almost $6K for the soft top alone!”

that’s great news you got the tops you wanted!

re-reading what you originally posted though - are you sure your dealer isn’t being shady? Outside of your 2 dr fiasco it sounds like there was no issue with Jeep US on the tops, but either your dealer misunderstood (at best) or was trying to scam you (at worst) if your jeep will come with what you ordered?

makes me wonder - I assumed you checked with another dealer the 2 dr story when that happened. Ie someone else isn’t enjoying your 2 dr up there - haha
My 2 dr wasn’t even built, so no, no one here is driving it around.
The process of ordering a Jeep is very different here than the US.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No need to point out the business structure or my rights as a consumer in this situation. You don't know what I do for work (and I'm not going to tell you), but I'm well versed on their global business structure and what my (and the dealerships) rights are here.
Great that you are well versed in it, even if it you kept pointing at Jeep US which is not a counterparty with you. In any event, it is a common mistake that people make on this forum of not understanding the relationship with dealers vs FCA. So it may be helpful to others.

But thanks. Now, I continue waiting.

With the way this order has gone from the beginning, the ship will sink on the way! :P
Hopefully it will be smooth sailing and you will have it in time for summer (yours).

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
Michelle,

Congrats on the new Jeep! They have been raising prices in mid build for America as well. They have been raising prices every month here in the US. I think it's wrong but they are able to get away with it because they are in such high demand.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Buying a 2-door, manual Wrangler is like trying to buy a dumb flip-phone from Samsung.
Why would you say that? Just because the demand is not as high does not mean it's outdated. The 2 door was all Jeep Wrangler was available in until 2006 or so.

2 door is the only choice I would consider. Not because I'm a "die hard". Simply for the fact a 2 door is way more capable off highway tight trails and slow speed trails (with equal drivers) than a long wheelbase rig.

I do agree that the JLU is more popular. Unfortunately the current fad is to load these rigs down to the hilt with too much equipment. Not my cup of tea but it is what the consumer wants.

I truly hope Jeep will continue with its true roots by offering the 2 door moving forward. If not then it is at the bottom of my list.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wonder

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would you say that? Just because the demand is not as high does not mean it's outdated. The 2 door was all Jeep Wrangler was available in until 2006 or so.

2 door is the only choice I would consider. Not because I'm a "die hard". Simply for the fact a 2 door is way more capable off highway tight trails and slow speed trails (with equal drivers) than a long wheelbase rig.

I do agree that the JLU is more popular. Unfortunately the current fad is to load these rigs down to the hilt with too much equipment. Not my cup of tea but it is what the consumer wants.

I truly hope Jeep will continue with its true roots by offering the 2 door moving forward. If not then it is at the bottom of my list.
I completely agree. If the Rubicon was available in a 2dr option I would have ordered that Originally, but in saying a that I’m happy with a 4dr as I can sleep in it (if I have to) 😂

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make, and maybe my analogy was not well chosen.

The point is not that there is no demand for manuals or no demand for 2-doors. The point was that Jeep has clearly picked where they are investing. So lets recap Jeep's actions:

1 - The manual is a carry over, with imprecise shifts, and the clutch has all sorts of problems and recals - see the CarandDriver review of their long term Gladiator. Meanwhile the automatic is a brand new state of the art ZF-designed 8-speed used on everything from Porsches to BMW to TRX.

2 - All the new/advanced powertrains (4XE, 392, Diesel) are *only available on 4 door*!!

3 - All the best off road options (e.g. Xtreme Recon 35" tires, etc) are *only available on 4 door*!!!

So that is the point all the cool/advanced stuff from Jeep is simply not being offered on 2-door/manual. So it is irrelevant if there is demand. Jeep has made a choice not to offer it.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I completely agree. If the Rubicon was available in a 2dr option I would have ordered that Originally, but in saying a that I’m happy with a 4dr as I can sleep in it (if I have to) 😂
If you pick the best 4-door offered from Jeep (Xtreme Recon with 35", 4.56s, thick wall HD axles, larger brakes, extra lift, plus a 392 if you want) and match that with the best 2-door on offer from Jeep (Rubicon with 33", skinny axle tubes, small brakes and 4.10s), which do you think is more capable off-road? Which is a better platform for further modifications?

The point is the Jeep is investing heavily in making the 4-door better, while leaving the 2-door to languish.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Isn’t Australia the land of Land Cruisers and Land Rovers?

Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Easy there, you're talking about the only country to stand beside the US in every war in the last 100 years, including VietNam and Iraq. The only one.

Also, the only other country that still loves V8's, and in fact the the only western county that protects its citizenry from outside ..um.. 'negative influences'. They are just going through a period where they still think they can avoid a global pandemic. Haha. Once they learn it can't be stopped, they will wise up and go back to being the freedom loving country they were just a year back.
Have to agree here. I will stand up for the Aussies 7 day's a week and twice on Sunday. I served in the middle east with them. Tough breed, and always a friend when we needed them. (and they had booze at a time we were not allowed any, talk about a morale booster).

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make, and maybe my analogy was not well chosen.

The point is not that there is no demand for manuals or no demand for 2-doors. The point was that Jeep has clearly picked where they are investing. So lets recap Jeep's actions:

1 - The manual is a carry over, with imprecise shifts, and the clutch has all sorts of problems and recals - see the CarandDriver review of their long term Gladiator. Meanwhile the automatic is a brand new state of the art ZF-designed 8-speed used on everything from Porsches to BMW to TRX.

2 - All the new/advanced powertrains (4XE, 392, Diesel) are *only available on 4 door*!!

3 - All the best off road options (e.g. Xtreme Recon 35" tires, etc) are *only available on 4 door*!!!

So that is the point all the cool/advanced stuff from Jeep is simply not being offered on 2-door/manual. So it is irrelevant if there is demand. Jeep has made a choice not to offer it.
It's cool I see what you're saying. I did a little digging and 2" factory lifts, 35" wheels/tires, winch, etc are available as optional equipment dealer installed when picking up new. My Uncles Rubicon JK was spec'ed out similar brand new with wheels and large tires from the dealer.

It might not be what someone wants to do but there is certainly that option if you want a lift and some cool genuine Mopar/Jeep parts and retain the factory warranty.

There is in fact a demand albeit a smaller one for the 2 door. FCA is in it for the profit just like any other company.

I look around and sadly see a whole slew of these 4 door grossly overloaded and lifted beasts. I'm blown away at the popularity of these complicated overweight builds that have taken the simplicity away from camping and traveling.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's cool I see what you're saying. I did a little digging and 2" factory lifts, 35" wheels/tires, winch, etc are available as optional equipment dealer installed when picking up new. My Uncles Rubicon JK was spec'ed out similar brand new with wheels and large tires from the dealer.

It might not be what someone wants to do but there is certainly that option if you want a lift and some cool genuine Mopar/Jeep parts and retain the factory warranty.

There is in fact a demand albeit a smaller one for the 2 door. FCA is in it for the profit just like any other company.

I look around and sadly see a whole slew of these 4 door grossly overloaded and lifted beasts. I'm blown away at the popularity of these complicated overweight builds that have taken the simplicity away from camping and traveling.
Yes. Absolutely. Luckily, there is still tremendous aftermarket support for the Wrangler. So if you really want a manual and/or 2-door you can build it and build it up.

My contention is that, if Jeep offered the cool options (Xtreme Recon, 392, 4xe, etc) the demand for the 2-door would be even higher. It's artificially suppressed due to Jeep's lack of investment.

I really like what Ford has done with the Bronco. All the cool options V6 with 410 ftlbs, Sasquatch with 35" tires, etc are equally available on 2 door and 4 door. They are giving buyers more choices. Also, the fact that the 2-door Bronco has a lot more space inside, makes it more livable. I'm willing to bet that the %of 2-door Broncos will be higher than the % of 2-door Wranglers.

OP
OP
Wonder

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

All fair points. My opinion (and bear in mind this is only my opinion) is that with the worldwide shortage of microchips, and a low of demand on 2 drs in Australia, they decided to just cut it back to what they know they can sell.

Suzuki have done the same thing with Jimny's. Base model is available within 6 months, but if you want the fully optioned model, you'll be waiting over 12 months right now.
Sponsored