Sponsored

Why can't Jeep just build a Wrangler (Anything) with a 300hp/350ftlbs V8 for the same pricing of the V6 or I4?

Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE
I really think Jeep should create two models out of the Wrangler:

One to compete with the Defender/Bronco with better seats, infotainment, ride on paved roads, more efficient hybrid/full electric powertrains etc. the luxury off-roader. Seen a lot of people complaining about all of those aspects in their Wranglers in this forum, and although the default answer from more than half of the people here is "it's a Jeep", I think they have a point. If there's a want there's a market for it.

Another one that is back to basics. Extremely capable, overengineered to last, that you can overland with confidence. Have NA v6 and v8 options, interior that you can use naked (the Wrangler, or both if you so desire) in a thunderstorm, minimalistic in it's electronics, etc.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

One to compete with the Defender/Bronco with better seats, infotainment, ride on paved roads, more efficient hybrid/full electric powertrains etc. the luxury off-roader. Seen a lot of people complaining about all of those aspects in their Wranglers in this forum, and although the default answer from more than half of the people here is "it's a Jeep", I think they have a point. If there's a want there's a market for it.

Another one that is back to basics. Extremely capable, overengineered to last, that you can overland with confidence. Have NA v6 and v8 options, interior that you can use naked (the Wrangler, or both if you so desire) in a thunderstorm, minimalistic in it's electronics, etc.
Isn't that basically what we have now? The options available might be incomplete to some specific people, but it's a staggering number of combinations. Our massive aftermarket has stepped in to fill any perceived gaps.

Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE
Isn't that basically what we have now? The options available might be incomplete to some specific people, but it's a staggering number of combinations. Our massive aftermarket has stepped in to fill any perceived gaps.
Agree, but:
  • the only NA engine is the 392, with a starting msrp of $80K... the 2.0 has turbos, the v6 is a MHEV, and the 4xe is the most complex of the bunch.
  • the seats are pretty basic, which is fine for off-roading and being able to hose them, but I'm sure more than one chose the new Bronco for the comfy power seated seats it comes with
  • the premium sound system is ok, but it would improve greatly with a fixed roof and better sound isolation

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
I saw threads where people talked 30+ miles was ideal for diesel. Again, I'd love to have 1, but then again they also won't put 1 in the 2-door.

I have a CAI for my sewing machine as well :P
My wife has a JLURD that is driven M-F a total of 5 miles round trip each day. On the weekends we make sure to get at least 1 long drive in. If it grenades that’s what the warranty is for and the Geico MBI will cover it after the factory warranty expires.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Why can't Jeep build a basic Wrangler with a V8...

Business profit 101. Never offer anything cheap on a high demand item.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Agree, but:
  • the only NA engine is the 392, with a starting msrp of $80K... the 2.0 has turbos, the v6 is a MHEV, and the 4xe is the most complex of the bunch.
  • the seats are pretty basic, which is fine for off-roading and being able to hose them, but I'm sure more than one chose the new Bronco for the comfy power seated seats it comes with
  • the premium sound system is ok, but it would improve greatly with a fixed roof and better sound isolation
A mild hybrid makes it not naturally aspirated?? I'm fairly sure there are three turbos and two naturally aspirated engines in the current lineup. That seems like a crapload of engine options to me. Add another option if the other 3.6L variant re-emerges.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
even then, thats quite a bit more torque than what i have with my V6 and based on a quick google search, it only weighs 10lbs more than the 6.

torque is what the wranglers need. its what they crave.
I really love my JLURD. It is a torque monster. It does everything I need it to do with zero issues. It pushes my 40s on one ton axles down the interstate and can get 18-19 mpg in the right conditions ( meaning not a windy day). Even in bad conditions it will get 16-17 mpg. In 4LO it just idles over everything with the greatest of ease. It climbs hills and makes passes with only having to drop one gear lower. The only thing it doesn't do well is get up and going quickly if I need to pull out in front of oncoming traffic. It needs a hot second to think about it. I also don't have any issues with heat that other owners have complained about. If I need to do a hard bump over a big obstacle I do need to hold the brake a second and get some boost built up but that is just driving technique.

But having said all of that, I would have foregone the diesel in favor of the 5.7L Hemi if it had been available. I think the engine costs would have been about the same for Stellantis. I think the diesel sounds cool in it's own way but it doesn't sound V8 cool. And I still think the diesel is overcomplicated for what it is.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Why can't Jeep build a basic Wrangler with a V8...

Business profit 101. Never offer anything cheap on a high demand item.
it's going to take aftermarket to do what we want. It was available before and can be again. very simple, reconstruct a 2dr. jlr. Remove engine, trans, all computers, wiring and anything that has to do with computers. pick your poison ie. engine, trans you name it. Lot of work but it is probably being done as we speak. Just like the diesel pick ups that have been converted. I have seen a lot of nice vehicles built by aftermarket. There is a hell of a lot of talent out there. It takes money initiative and the desire. Oh! and did I say money. I'll bet there is a forum member who could do it.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
The CJ-7 had an "AMC V8" option. The AMC V8 304-powered models (produced 1976–1981), were part of the Golden Eagle version
Nope, the 304 was available as early as 72, I know cause I had a 72 CJ-5 w/ 304 V-8 and a 3 speed manual. And they were offering the 340 V-8 also at that time.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

You mean , like the Two Broncos ? How to sow confusion, and Neuter the brand ??
Sponsored