Sponsored

Why can't Jeep just build a Wrangler (Anything) with a 300hp/350ftlbs V8 for the same pricing of the V6 or I4?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
even then, thats quite a bit more torque than what i have with my V6 and based on a quick google search, it only weighs 10lbs more than the 6.

torque is what the wranglers need. its what they crave.
Not arguing that, but with today's engines those are some shitty numbers for a V8.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

torque is what the wranglers need. its what they crave.
If only Jeep would offer a diesel with a lot of torque, right? Mine's not a hot rod, but it sure has torque.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If only Jeep would offer a diesel with a lot of torque, right? Mine's not a hot rod, but it sure has torque.
If only Jeep offered a diesel that liked short runs like my daily commute lol. That's the only reason I didn't get diesel. My round trip is under 30 miles. I originally went in to look at the 4xe but fell in love with the 2-door instead hahah. Now my sewing machine is waiting at Gupton.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If only Jeep offered a diesel that liked short runs like my daily commute lol. That's the only reason I didn't get diesel. My round trip is under 30 miles. I originally went in to look at the 4xe but fell in love with the 2-door instead hahah. Now my sewing machine is waiting at Gupton.
I was under the impression that 15 miles was more than enough for a diesel to get sufficiently warmed up. Is that incorrect?

I was never a fan of the sound of a diesel...until I got one myself :). Your sewing machine won't sound great, but it'll move!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression that 15 miles was more than enough for a diesel to get sufficiently warmed up. Is that incorrect?

I was never a fan of the sound of a diesel...until I got one myself :). Your sewing machine won't sound great, but it'll move!
I saw threads where people talked 30+ miles was ideal for diesel. Again, I'd love to have 1, but then again they also won't put 1 in the 2-door.

I have a CAI for my sewing machine as well :P

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I agree with everyone. Everyone has their point per this discussion.
However, most of you are missing my point.

I'm not worried about horsepower or torque numbers, I just threw them out there (300/350) as a standard to work towards.
I'm looking for simplicity and that stump pulling torque that a V8 gives you without adding all that piping and forced induction options. Example, being turbos and superchargers.

I just want a simple V8 that has adequate horsepower and torque that could start as a building block.
No turbo's or supercharges. No intercooling. No radical piping. No crazy timing or fuel curves which is at the end of detonation and destruction.

Just a simple V8 with sufficient power and that awesome "V8" sound.

SIMPLICITY EQUALS RELIABILITY

Thanks for your replies.

Disclaimer:
I currently drive a 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0T (yes it has plenty of power). Before I owned a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport with the V6. Had power but I could not stand the detonation (pinging) that I was experiencing. Among other things it turned out to be a lemon and I traded it in for my current Rubicon which has been great!
I also owned a 2003 Wrangler X with an inline 6. Plenty of power.
I come from a Bronco family, between my close family we have owned four Bronco's, seven Mustangs, three F150's, and a F350 flatbed.
Many of my family members have owner Jeep Laredo's and Jeep Renegades from the 80's. One in which was equipped with the AMC 304.
I'm no stranger to forced induction as I have owned two turbocharged VW's and a supercharged Mustang 5.0 (which I still own).

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I am afraid that V8 engines, will soon be a thing of the past.. :(

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Corporate average fuel economy. That and Iā€™d much rather have a twin turbo 6 in a Wrangler in the 300-350hp range than a V8. Suits the vehicle far better. There are lots of applications where V8s donā€™t make sense as a middle of the road engine. Wrangler is one of them. Canā€™t wait for the new TT in-line 6 to make it to the Wrangler.

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Put an "E" in front of V8, the all electric version will check all the boxes for "power" and torque, battery energy density is improving as we speak.
I had a CJ5, with a 304V8, automatic, ps, pb, from the factory. OMG, what fun. That was then, the last Century.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Just a simple V8 with sufficient power and that awesome "V8" sound.

SIMPLICITY EQUALS RELIABILITY
With modern ob2 and canbus, there are dozens of computers regardless of how simple the engine is.

This is not the reason to want a v8

NA v8 for the intangibles. They just sound better and feel better to drive.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Gawd. I donā€™t understand peopleā€™s need to complain all day and blame politicians for everything.

This is the golden era of the automobile. Period. Jeep offers five powertrains; the most itā€™s ever offered. JLā€™s ā€œbaseā€ output is close to 300 HP: thereā€™s an optional V8 with almost 500 HP, a diesel with 460 lbs of torque and a hybrid.
Maybe we have a different definition of golden era, but to me nothing beats the early/mid 2000s.

BMWs E46, E39, Audi B6, Acura TSX, Lotus Elise, Jetta GLI, Volvo S40, Mazda RX8 and more were great, legendary cars in some cases. And you could still get a manual transmission in them.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe we have a different definition of golden era, but to me nothing beats the early/mid 2000s.

BMWs E46, E39, Audi B6, Acura TSX, Lotus Elise, Jetta GLI, Volvo S40, Mazda RX8 and more were great, legendary cars in some cases. And you could still get a manual transmission in them.
There are ā€œlegendary carsā€ in every period.

Well perhaps with the exception of the late 1970s... šŸ˜«

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Because the don't have to. People are still lining up to pay big bucks for them. This is not a necessary engine at all and as many said, it will go away soon. It is not like this engine helps with towing or is used by tradesmen like a 3500 truck. You can get the biggest engine in a truck with the bones for options. This engine in the Wrangler is purely for the enthusiast and they now it. They are trying to make as much money as possible on the 392 and they do that by only selling them loaded up.
Sponsored