Sponsored

Why can't Jeep just build a Wrangler (Anything) with a 300hp/350ftlbs V8 for the same pricing of the V6 or I4?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Or, maybe the 2-door sells even less because they ignore it?

No more 2-door Sahara, no XR, no diesel, no electric, no v8. People wanting those are forced into a 4-door. And I know some people don't like the Bronco and Defender comparisons, but both of those companies have no problem putting a more powerful v6 in their 2-door (and even a v8 for the new model Defender).

Not a priority is fine, but they've been ignoring it for years.
I can't imagine that they'd do a 2-door electric anytime soon. There's not enough room for batteries until that technology improves dramatically.

Reactions: AFD

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
There were a lot of built in inefficiencies in those older motors, especially in fuel delivery. My 401 was probably in the 375hp range at the crank as per the builder, and he built mainly drag motors. The CJ5 didn't have a lot weighing it down, and not much emission gear so it was pretty quick. I had a front shackle reversal setup too, so the caster wasn't too scary. Prior to my disc brake swap the scare factor was up there for sure, had to be very alert after going through water for sure!!!

But you're right, my 2dr JL w/ the V6 w/ 8AT zips around as quick as I remember that CJ, and much quicker to maneuver w/out having to deal w/ manual steering, long throw shifter, and leaf spring suspension that was stiff as hell :( Not to mention all the time wasted locking out the hubs :)
I’m not knocking the old iron, I miss my old wagoneer sometimes and you definitely don’t get the sound of an old cammed V8 from the pentastar or my sewing machine 2.0t. But that thing was every bit as heavy as our JLUR, underpowered, rode rough, handled like shit, and had 0 creature comforts. It was a blast to wheel and was always fun to see the CJ/ wrangler guys faces when I pulled up in that big girl on a tough trail like the rubicon. Definitely not road trip worth, nor was it a daily driver. And then there was the single digit mpg’s. That’s what amazes me about the JL, pretty quick on the street, can cruise clear across the country at 85+mph, massive crawl ratio, all the creature comforts from adaptive cruise to satellite radio and Bluetooth to seat heaters and a steering wheel heater, and can then run some of the toughest trails in the country like gutbuster, turn around and cruise freeway plus speeds 2300 miles home. All on 38’s while getting mid to high teens fuel economy. Anyone who doesn’t see that this is the golden age of Jeeps either doesn’t use their JL, didn’t own an older Jeep, didn’t use the older Jeep, or is simply misremembering the “good old days” (they weren’t all that good).

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I’m not knocking the old iron, I miss my old wagoneer sometimes and you definitely don’t get the sound of an old cammed V8 from the pentastar or my sewing machine 2.0t. But that thing was every bit as heavy as our JLUR, underpowered, rode rough, handled like shit, and had 0 creature comforts. It was a blast to wheel and was always fun to see the CJ/ wrangler guys faces when I pulled up in that big girl on a tough trail like the rubicon. Definitely not road trip worth, nor was it a daily driver. And then there was the single digit mpg’s. That’s what amazes me about the JL, pretty quick on the street, can cruise clear across the country at 85+mph, massive crawl ratio, all the creature comforts from adaptive cruise to satellite radio and Bluetooth to seat heaters and a steering wheel heater, and can then run some of the toughest trails in the country like gutbuster, turn around and cruise freeway plus speeds 2300 miles home. All on 38’s while getting mid to high teens fuel economy. Anyone who doesn’t see that this is the golden age of Jeeps either doesn’t use their JL, didn’t own an older Jeep, didn’t use the older Jeep, or is simply misremembering the “good old days” (they weren’t all that good).
Give me a TJ with a fuel injected Chevy 350, with a modest 375-400 hp, a bullet proof tranny, and I would be happy. Of course A/C too. Also, a killer stereo.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Give me a TJ with a fuel injected Chevy 350, with a modest 375-400 hp, a bullet proof tranny, and I would be happy. Of course A/C too. Also, a killer stereo.
Again, you're on a JL forum meaning you spent a bare minimum of $35k. How many chevy 350's can you buy for $23k? If anybody on here actually believed that an old TJ with a v8 swap was the way to go, they'd be driving one and have a bunch of money left over.
Screenshot_20220713-112840_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Again, you're on a JL forum meaning you spent a bare minimum of $35k. How many chevy 350's can you buy for $23k? If anybody on here actually believed that an old TJ with a v8 swap was the way to go, they'd be driving one and have a bunch of money left over.
Screenshot_20220713-112840_Chrome.jpg
Hindsight 20/20. Who's to say I won't have both. I have to keep the wife happy with the JL, for now. In a couple of years, I might toss this one to the daughter, and build or by something better. Like a TJ with Dana 60's, Small Block injected 383, TH400 tranny, 38's, A/C, and a nice stereo. This might still come in 2000 lbs lighter than the TJ.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Jeep...We asked for a V8 and you gave us a 392 Wrangler for $80,000.

Why can't you build a 300/350 V8 for "us" your customers a simple basic V8 package? Why Not?

I just want the torque and the sound of the classic V8. I don't need 470/470.
You can get those numbers for $500 out of the 2.0. A tuned turbo 4 is a torque monster.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Somebody else already made this comment.....while these old rigs look cool (and maybe sound cool also) they really suck to drive compared to modern ones. There are very, very few people that would be willing to daily drive an old CJ-5 daily as compared to a JL. I learned to drive in a '71 Toyota FJ-40 Landcruiser and spent a lot of time in '70's era pickups, and daily drove a K5 Blazer for years and can tell you there is no comparison in regards to actual daily driving comfort or power (talking about factory engines) compared to anything built in the last 20 years. The old V-8 CJ's made a whopping 150 HP and 245 lb-ft torque.
Back to the original post, there is no way they could offer a V-8 option for the same price as the V-6 or 4 banger. You have millions of $ in R&D to do this and what other beefed up or simply different drivetrain parts, then add in millions of $ for testing before releasing to the public.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
R&D costs to make an underpowered, thermally inefficient, heavy ass rig that 99% of consumers dont really care about. Seems like a terrible business idea to me.
That sounds like it has "government contract" grant money written all over it.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You can’t get a V-8 in the bronco on any trim level for any price so we’re lucky we can get it at all. I’m very happy with my V6 two-door I can always add an Edelbrock supercharger to get things moving if I wanted.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Again - they can’t because it would be too popular and force them out of compliance with CAFE standards. I am shocked they have kept the v8 for 2023….
i dont think thats it. they offer them in the grand cherokee and many other vehicles. i think its more along the lines of: people are going to buy wranglers no matter what stick in them. and people who really want a v8 can just buy the 392.

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
Not getting into politics or anything, but what would happen if the mfgs just didn't pay these fines? I mean, this is the same country that bailed out a lot of the auto industry not all that long ago, so I really don't see them getting shut down for just ignoring them.

Or maybe they could all implement an "economy" mode and a "sport/performance" mode (adjusting ECU tune, throttle response, cylinder deactivation, etc) to improve their numbers? And maybe release a few batches of solar-powered bicycles or something, lol.

If Stellantis can continue producing ultra high-performance vehicles like the upcoming 900HP SRT Hellcat Redeye, they can certainly give consumers something reasonably priced in the 300 to 400HP/TQ segment.
I've said things like this for years. I'm not a smoker, but if I was RJ Reynolds th would stop production of all cigarettes. The government would have to take a pay cut from taxes and deal with all the angry moody people.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Why would we want an under powered V8?