Why can’t we get discounts like this?

Pchmotoho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, misc old cars
Back in my college and 6.00 an hour days (So. Cal for reference) I never got a car at a loss leader price but I would use those ads to my advantage. I needed a Toyota pickup with zero options that was being advertised at 2 or 3 different for around 6800 I believe.

I went to Longo Toyota (incredible high volume Toyota dealer) with the ads, looked on the wall and found this older salesman picture who was salesman of the month 10 times over the last 2 years. I told the operator I had an appointment with him. The salesman came out and apologized for somehow overlooking our appt. I explained that we did not have one but asked him if he would like to sell a car in 15 minutes and showed him the ads.

Of course he said the car listed at his dealership was sold. I said I will give you 7000 for another one (their inventory was incredible). He said no, let me walk out the door, called me back in and 20 minutes later the deal was done. This Longo dealer is pretty insane. This was a late weekday night and its seemed as if every minutes a new car was driving away (they have an area where customers pick up their new cars).

Unfortunately, in my older years Ive yet to be able to use this tactic for Raptors, GT500s, Rubicon's .......
Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
yup, i found several ones online but always come against some dealer who was not much help. hard to find someone who can process my requests as fit and not try to add on. and when i go custom build mode they try to finesse there way in. like, seriously, just give the the effing quote. cause in the end, you either have a deal or you do not. i aint got time for that bs. i do thank the helpful ones on trying. and i hope only prosperity for them. it just was not in my price range.
I do very straight quotes for you or anyone else that needs one. No BS. I have sold / ordered Wranglers for almost a dozen people on this forum and anyone of them can tell you how simple the process can be when the dealership / sales consultant make it that way. DM me with your details and I'll have an easy quote ready. Depends on the vehicle but for Wranglers and most other FCA models I do 7% below invoice. Very straight forward.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I do very straight quotes for you or anyone else that needs one. No BS. I have sold / ordered Wranglers for almost a dozen people on this forum and anyone of them can tell you how simple the process can be when the dealership / sales consultant make it that way. DM me with your details and I'll have an easy quote ready. Depends on the vehicle but for Wranglers and most other FCA models I do 7% below invoice. Very straight forward.
Thanks for this. I experienced the exact same type of sale through my salesperson. Contacted him via email with exact specs, he emails back with the exact discounted price that was a little over 6% below invoice, dealer doc fee was clearly indicated, and that’s it - take it or leave it. Told him go ahead, he emails me back in a day or so that the order is in. Weeks later I go in, meet him in person, sign the papers, pick it up and I’m out the door driving it in less than a half hour.

Why is this rare? Seems like it’s easier for both you and the buyer, right? Why do so many dealerships and salespeople still play the BS games that give car sales such a bad stereotype? Do those guys really make THAT much more money using tricks, scams, and lies that prey on buyers who don’t know any better?

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this. I experienced the exact same type of sale through my salesperson. Contacted him via email with exact specs, he emails back with the exact discounted price that was a little over 6% below invoice, dealer doc fee was clearly indicated, and that’s it - take it or leave it. Told him go ahead, he emails me back in a day or so that the order is in. Weeks later I go in, meet him in person, sign the papers, pick it up and I’m out the door driving it in less than a half hour.

Why is this rare? Seems like it’s easier for both you and the buyer, right? Why do so many dealerships and salespeople still play the BS games that give car sales such a bad stereotype? Do those guys really make THAT much more money using tricks, scams, and lies that prey on buyers who don’t know any better?
Well I wouldn't know because I don't do them haha. I agree this is easier for me and makes a much better experience for the customer. It's why I do business the way I do.

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
from what my understanding is that the sticker prices is the msrp, invoice price is what is listed as sale price. so ideally to shoot 5% below invoice. plus taxes & fees.

Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
from what my understanding is that the sticker prices is the msrp, invoice price is what is listed as sale price. so ideally to shoot 5% below invoice. plus taxes & fees.
Invoice is the dealerships cost. Their are other factors but that is generally what it is. Not all dealerships will go below invoice. Especially on Wranglers. 5% is a good number to shoot for in a lot of areas. For myself I will do 7% but not everyone is willing to travel for a deal.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Dealers use the four square sales techniques and other systems because a lot of customers slip and buy for more. A lot more even though they think they got a good deal with all their online invoice printouts. Getting a sale price is the easy part. Many don't realize a used car manager and business manager is the hard part for most buyers. This is where the real money is made. This is where people slip up and pay.

Not many people are getting a true net/net deal. The only true 7%-8% under invoice deals or net/net deals are cash deals with no financing, no DOC fees, no trades, no back-end products, no add-ons, etc.

Many who buy for 7%-8% under invoice are actually paying more when you calculate in a high DOC fee, trade, financing, back-end products, wheel locks, etc.
Sponsored