First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That truck at that price does not exist in the real world. If you go try to buy it, you’ll be told that it was the only one priced so aggressively and it was sold yesterday/this morning. But they’ve got one with a lot more options (that costs more) that’s what you really want.

Common dealership scam. “One only at this price”.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
That truck at that price does not exist in the real world. If you go try to buy it, you’ll be told that it was the only one priced so aggressively and it was sold yesterday/this morning. But they’ve got one with a lot more options (that costs more) that’s what you really want.

Know this happens throughout the country but really seemed prevalent when I was stationed in Southern Cali. One state I lived in (might have been CA) actually made dealers put "one only at this price" in the small print below the car in the add.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Know this happens throughout the country but really seemed prevalent when I was stationed in Southern Cali. One state I lived in (might have been CA) actually made dealers put "one only at this price" in the small print below the car in the add.
Texas too. In the newspaper (when they were a thing) they were the big color photo at the top of the dealership ad. With the tiny “only 1 at this price” disclaimer at the bottom. They are also required to list a stock number to “prove” it exists.

OP
OP
NavyChief

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr

except they have like 6 or 7 priced that way. I’ve heard this scam before but in all the dealers I’ve dealt with over the years I’ve not run into it before. I guess I’m lucky. Of course I typically don’t buy the base model though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NavyChief

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Wanna see a dealership scam, here is the sheet my daughter got when she took her Jeep in to get an oil change today. I was like wow that’s something.

D5C8F690-8A81-4DE0-BEB5-D0C387F83C22.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wanna see a dealership scam, here is the sheet my daughter got when she took her Jeep in to get an oil change today. I was like wow that’s something.

Shameful. People who aren’t vehicle savvy would look at this and think they really need $1K of service. That should cost about $350.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Shameful. People who aren’t vehicle savvy would look at this and think they really need $1K of service. That should cost about $350.
Yes, if needed at all. If I have one more "service rep" tell me I need the fuel injection or throttle body service I'm going to scream. One, only needed if you are really experiencing a problem and two, to do it correctly you have to remove the fuel injectors. Their $199 is no more than running a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner through the system you could buy at Walmart.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Criminal scare tactics.

Mental note to anyone in the area.…AVOID Kendall Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram for ANY type of service in the future!!

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L

Absolutely Freaking Disgusting .

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This happens at all dealerships and most oil change businesses. My adult daughters have both called multiple times asking for advice. The most recent - daughter took her 2019 VW SUV in for first oil change and tire rotation. I looked at the vehicle a few days later and noticed the fronts had wear but the rears looked brand new so they didn't rotate the tires on the front-wheel drive vehicle. She takes it back and they claim the fronts are wearing faster than the backs so she needs a $99 alignment at 6k miles. Phone call to me and I tell her to deny the up-charge. Granted alignments are sometimes needed but the tires are wearing normal.

Fuel injection cleaning? Last one I had done was in my 98 F150 back around 2001 and it was needed. There are several options to do this yourself but with 10% alcohol being in gas over the past 20 years it seems I haven't needed to do this in awhile.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
It is a RAM classic, equivalent of JK to JL comparing to the "new" RAM 1500 (which is not that new since it came out in 2018).

I bet you can get some deal on brand new JK if you can manage to find them on dealer's lot.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Another scam tactic is dealerships that have "secret mandatory dealer installed vehicle add-ons" that supposedly cannot be removed. We have a jeep dealership in Southern California that is self advertised as the top seller in the nation. Their advertised prices are extremely appealing and get people to the dealership. They don't tell you until you are signing paperwork that there is $3k+ of non-factory (worthless) installed add-ons like GPS tracking, paint protection etc.

The sad truth is many people break down and go and sign anyway at the inflated price.... Very sad.

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
yup, i found several ones online but always come against some dealer who was not much help. hard to find someone who can process my requests as fit and not try to add on. and when i go custom build mode they try to finesse there way in. like, seriously, just give the the effing quote. cause in the end, you either have a deal or you do not. i aint got time for that bs. i do thank the helpful ones on trying. and i hope only prosperity for them. it just was not in my price range.
Sponsored