Sponsored

Why can’t I find anything in stock anywhere for a new JL?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I know it sucks!!! I think the main reason you can't find anything is that the JLs are selling as fast as they can make them, and every owner is scanning and scouring the four corners of the earth for accessories, especially anything top related. An extremely high demand ensures these things are scarce. I check bestop almost every day looking for an announcement that they are finally selling tops for JLs.
Jason, I agree with everything you've said only with one additional provision for Bestop.

Not only do more people not only scourer the web the more JLs are sold as you said, but the more JLs are sold, the more soft tops Bestop needs to make as FCA's supplier, leaving them fewer human assets and machines to work on things like their Sunrider top as an OEM to FCA;).
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Having retired from product development I am very familiar with this conundrum.

Product Development: Marketing throws new demands or product changes at you and each time there is a change you basically have to start over with supplier quotations and parts supply timelines. At best, no development cycle moves faster than the slowest component and supplier.

Product Marketing: Customers keep coming up with new demands and product improvements so we have to keep getting the product development team working on adding these in so we have the best product available, from day one. We can't figure out what's taking so long and they keep quoting 3 to 5 months so we'll assume they are fudging and tell our customers it will be available in 2 months.
Ron: I love this! As a software developer this was/is my life. We establish infrastructure around marketing's wishes on day 20, only to hear a request from them on day 50, that had we known on day 20, would have had us entirely rethink our initial day 20 approach!

OP
OP
Dantmcb26

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I get this for the doors and certain equipment but sun shades seems to be pretty easy to get to market, especially when they are advertising about it 3 months ago. I’m in sales and since i was 18 in business 101, I was taught to under promise and over deliver.

Seems the opposite here. If you want people people ordering to see demand, offer 10% off price for pre orders and then meet your ship date. If you arent sure, then don’t have an ETA until you know you can meet it.

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
TLDR
From my understanding, most aftermarket manufacturers did not receive their JLs prior to retail deliveries. Not much R&D time since FCA isn't as cooperative as other manufacturers (like Ford) with measuring sessions.
Some manufacturers that also have Tier 1/OEM contracts, *cough* Bestop *cough*, are under obligation to hold off selling aftermarket parts for 6 months or more... FCA's priority is assembly line > MOPAR Parts > Aftermarket.
Other manufacturers are slower to market to avoid issues like what was seen with exhausts. I've owned several early build Wranglers (within their respective generation) that differ quite a bit from ones assembled 6 months later.

For us 2018 JL/JLU owners, we won't see a bulk of stuff for our new Jeeps until SEMA (early November) and in most cases those parts won't be available for another 6 months.

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Ron: I love this! As a software developer this was/is my life. We establish infrastructure around marketing's wishes on day 20, only to hear a request from them on day 50, that had we known on day 20, would have had us entirely rethink our initial day 20 approach!
Sales and marketing don't seem to understand the term, "version 2".

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will see a lot over the winter. It will keep demand a little lower than the summer time. That will help the suppliers keep up with and correct anything that is wrong. That is my take on it anyway, could be way off! lol

AucturitasJones

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Business Management
Vehicle Showcase
Jason, I agree with everything you've said only with one additional provision for Bestop.

Not only do more people not only scourer the web the more JLs are sold as you said, but the more JLs are sold, the more soft tops Bestop needs to make as FCA's supplier, leaving them fewer human assets and machines to work on things like their Sunrider top as an OEM to FCA;).
That's a great point. In order to maintain the low prices they have, every after market manufacturer is going to have to keep resources (people) cut to a minimum to manage production and research and development as well. It's hard to remember at times that the JK has had ten years to develop it's aftermarket catalog, and that it had start up delays as well. It's also difficult to compare the JL and JK catalogs because there has been ten years plus of development time for the JK.

It still sucks having to wait though! I want my cool accessories and stuff now! :)

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
I ordered my dirty dog shades a week after I got my JL and got it within a week but this was back in march when demand wasn't as high. The alien seem easier to set up so I would of probably gone that way but I'm happy with the purchase. I remember there was a glitch on their system and they showed for $60 and I pulled the trigger but was adjusted when charged lol
Demand is high now on everything so might as well just have patience sadly. The tube doors are my next purchase but I rather wait til thye have enough supply to not be in the same boat as you

Jtops now has 2 dr tops available.
Ordered mine last week, in production now.

Aftermarket stuff is pissing me off,.....everyone is leaning towards the 4 dr right now,...c'mon, really?
Can't do both?

OK, I'll fab my own sh*t for now,...

:like:

Sponsored

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Just to let you guys know. Jeep didn’t release anything(specs) to any company’s. So now everyone scrambling to get it done. Once the sema show happens we will all be in our glory for sure. Just mopar got the specs which is affiliated to Jeep in the money making business. So now everyone playing catch up as mopar and Jeep rack it up! Good luck Gents. Can’t set up my pro 6 KC Lights due to that I don’t have the bar that attaches those gorgeous lights for front windshield until October! Well they still look great in my living room!

kplong02

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door Sport S
I just got my new 2-door JL 2 weeks ago, and I'm itching like mad to put some stuff on it, but have learned I'll just have to wait for certain things... This may be crazy talk, but the delay/scarcity makes sense, I'm not sure having to wait is all that bad. Forgive me for being a bit of a contrarian here...

I'm influenced by the fact that I recently applied online to junk my old car through CA DMV (they give you $1000) and got a message that it will take 6-8 weeks for them to respond. 6-8 weeks?! My first reaction was, "What? Am I ordering something from a catalog in 1996???" Then I thought about it, and 6-8 weeks actually seems quick all things CA government considered. Then I thought about it more and reflected on how we used to have to wait weeks/months whenever we ordered something... and EVERYBODY WAS FINE. It blew my mind to realize how much the world has changed in this regard. I think Amazon, etc. has done a number on our expectations. Granted, it's super cool to get something quickly when I WANT IT NOW like I want some aftermarket stuff, but there's a lot to be said for delayed gratification.

As the JL's are so new, there can only be so much need/demand, and after more JL's roll out, more stuff will show up. Not to mention that many of the aftermarket providers I've contacted have only recently received specs/info for the JL's. These things take time, sometimes a lot of time - there are processes/phases that we don't want providers to rush like design/molding/prototyping/sourcing/QC, and a lot of the suppliers out there are small US companies that can only do so much at once. Besides, having to wait could mean not buying the first product that comes to market that scratches my itch and ultimately having more options to choose from and getting something better/more to my liking.

People buying JL's two years from now won't have any of these problems. This is what we get for showing up to the party early... we have to wait longer for dessert.

Jessjames357

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Feeling the pain! Limited selection on everything and jump the gun as soon as something comes out. Purchased the Spiderwebshade which as been ok but see that Jtopsusa.com came out with one as well with no bungee's so less wind and tighter fit. Now where are the tonneau covers or cargoshades? Will have to be patient but is there such thing after you purchase you're Jeep?? One nice thing I have found is that local companies are looking for R&D vehicles and will give you product to bring your JL in and fit test. Taking mine in for a cat back exhaust next week!

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Waited 12 weeks for JLUR
Waited 6 weeks for RK X Factor
Five weeks for Hutchinson BL Wheels
One week for Rock Hard full belly pan skids
Two weeks and counting for Falcon 2.1 shocks (3.#s NA for JL)
Got some Poison spyder grab handles and 37 x 13.5 STT Pros off shelf
Tazer JL off shelf + shipping

My shed looks like parts store wanna be. sign says (no shocks in stock). A lift and wheels and tires don't do you much good without shocks, and not much sense at this point installing the skids, This is the endless waiting summer.

Reactions: TMP

Drawls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Water distribution
Vehicle Showcase
Waited 12 weeks for JLUR
Waited 6 weeks for RK X Factor
Five weeks for Hutchinson BL Wheels
One week for Rock Hard full belly pan skids
Two weeks and counting for Falcon 2.1 shocks (3.#s NA for JL)
Got some Poison spyder grab handles and 37 x 13.5 STT Pros off shelf
Tazer JL off shelf + shipping

My shed looks like parts store wanna be. sign says (no shocks in stock). A lift and wheels and tires don't do you much good without shocks, and not much sense at this point installing the skids, This is the endless waiting summer.
I’m sure you have already looked but Northridge4x4 has almost everything in stock.
Sponsored