Sponsored

Why can’t I find anything in stock anywhere for a new JL?

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I bought a 2018 JL and ordered the rugged ridge trail doors in June. The ship date has changed several times. I then also ordered the dirty dog sun shade top for the 4 doors and that has now changed.

Both order dates have been pushed back on Quadratec. I’ve looked elsewhere and it seems the JLs are in short supply. Quadratec says Jeep rushed the JL to market which is why there is nothing in stock. Being a new owner, I was wondering if there are other sites available to buy some of this stuff outside of Quadratec. The dealer said this stuff would be in stock by mid July at the latest. All the stuff i bought is for the summer. I have another car I plan on using when weather doesn’t permit me driving the Jeep. Does anyone have any suggestions on sites or is this just the way it is?

The business person in me is saying...I can’t believe another company hasn’t come into this market and make products available since Mopar, rugged ridge,ect can’t keep up with demand. Any suggestions where to shop? I’m super frustrated because I bought the Jeep to use in nice weather. At this rate, the stuff I ordered won’t be in until 2019.
Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2018 JL and ordered the rugged ridge trail doors in June. The ship date has changed several times. I then also ordered the dirty dog sun shade top for the 4 doors and that has now changed.

Both order dates have been pushed back on Quadratec. I’ve looked elsewhere and it seems the JLs are in short supply. Quadratec says Jeep rushed the JL to market which is why there is nothing in stock. Being a new owner, I was wondering if there are other sites available to buy some of this stuff outside of Quadratec. The dealer said this stuff would be in stock by mid July at the latest. All the stuff i bought is for the summer. I have another car I plan on using when weather doesn’t permit me driving the Jeep. Does anyone have any suggestions on sites or is this just the way it is?

The business person in me is saying...I can’t believe another company hasn’t come into this market and make products available since Mopar, rugged ridge,ect can’t keep up with demand. Any suggestions where to shop? I’m super frustrated because I bought the Jeep to use in nice weather. At this rate, the stuff I ordered won’t be in until 2019.
This won't help you any, but the aftermarket stuff for 2dr's is even worse.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I've been chalking it up to this being a new model, things are getting snatched up quickly. Diode Dynamics for example has LED's for the various bulbs but are now 6-8 weeks out now. There isnt alot out yet also, like LED headlights, etc. You can try Northridge 4x4. They have a good selection of parts, lift kits etc. for the JL. Good luck out there! Might be slim pickins for awhile, depending on what youre looking for.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Dan: if it's any consolation, your frustration is shared. I think a lot of it ties into the fact that in this vehicle space, the Wrangler has near monopsonist power (a supplier of one) and as a result its producer, FCA, can and does take advantage somewhat of situations that they could never get away with if consumers had more comparable purchase options.

I don't mean to imply that FCA goes off and does its own thing. It understands that its customers butter its bread; the problem is that history has shown that many of these customers are going to butter their bread even if they, FCA (speaking in metaphors) "burns the toast" somewhat.

It takes time for vendors to bring products to market. There's testing, and patenting, and manufacturing, etc., and while not FCA's fault, FCA knows this and could have disclosed more about the new rig, complete with confidentiality contract clauses, to 3rd party vendors in advanced of the JLs release. Instead, they wanted to capture more of this market with a broader list of MOPAR accessories available on day one, that the customer would be forced to gravitate to until 3rd party solutions of better value were introduced.

Unfortunately MOPARs JL offerings are neither wide nor deep enough compared to what's available or the JK, or will eventually be for the JL.

Patent attorneys try to incorporate as much as possible into patent applications to protect their client/inventor's innovations (for the JL.) This process takes time as documents pass back and forth between attorneys and patent examiners.

For better or worse, more than any one single thing, vehicle competition in this space would force FCA to be more customer responsive, or risk losing business to the competition.

In in fairness to the situation, even if its a pill none of us want to swallow, we too are in a small way responsible in knowing our JLs would be accessory limited initially, and not seeking alternative transportation; even among limited choices in the space the Wrangler dominates.

I love my JL. But I did not love having to make my own roof rack in time for getting my kid off to college because the Gobi was backordered and back braking in price as the sole option at the time I started shopping for racks.

it is indeed frustrating that the soft window storage bag still awaits the aftermarket, and that no internal hood lock yet exists from its manufacturer: a feature nearly ever other manufacturer offers and yet scramble for every last sale on its vehicles for nonetheless, unable to sell a handful of their models were such features not included/available/extra in cost.

Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

Extreme Terrain has a decent selection. As far as sunshades for the 4door, alien sunshade has them. They are a little more expensive than other options, but I’m very happy with my purchase.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I ordered my dirty dog shades a week after I got my JL and got it within a week but this was back in march when demand wasn't as high. The alien seem easier to set up so I would of probably gone that way but I'm happy with the purchase. I remember there was a glitch on their system and they showed for $60 and I pulled the trigger but was adjusted when charged lol
Demand is high now on everything so might as well just have patience sadly. The tube doors are my next purchase but I rather wait til thye have enough supply to not be in the same boat as you

AucturitasJones

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Business Management
Vehicle Showcase
I know it sucks!!! I think the main reason you can't find anything is that the JLs are selling as fast as they can make them, and every owner is scanning and scouring the four corners of the earth for accessories, especially anything top related. An extremely high demand ensures these things are scarce. I check bestop almost every day looking for an announcement that they are finally selling tops for JLs.

ghorman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just to add...It took 3 weeks to get my Metalcloak 3.5" lift in and that is without the 6 pack shocks. So, yeah it's kinda everything for the JL's is running behind.

-Scott

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just the price you pay for choosing a new model. If you wanted all the accessories right away, they sold 18 JKs right beside the JLs.
Stuff is coming. Just be patient.:like:

Sponsored

Loucap07

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 Turbo

https://www.cjponyparts.com/?utm_so...cpc&utm_term=cj+pony+parts&utm_campaign=brand

OP
OP
Dantmcb26

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Dan: if it's any consolation, your frustration is shared. I think a lot of it ties into the fact that in this vehicle space, the Wrangler has near monopsonist power (a supplier of one) and as a result its producer, FCA, can and does take advantage somewhat of situations that they could never get away with if consumers had more comparable purchase options.

I don't mean to imply that FCA goes off and does its own thing. It understands that its customers butter its bread; the problem is that history has shown that many of these customers are going to butter their bread even if they, FCA (speaking in metaphors) "burns the toast" somewhat.

It takes time for vendors to bring products to market. There's testing, and patenting, and manufacturing, etc., and while not FCA's fault, FCA knows this and could have disclosed more about the new rig, complete with confidentiality contract clauses, to 3rd party vendors in advanced of the JLs release. Instead, they wanted to capture more of this market with a broader list of MOPAR accessories available on day one, that the customer would be forced to gravitate to until 3rd party solutions of better value were introduced.

Unfortunately MOPARs JL offerings are neither wide nor deep enough compared to what's available or the JK, or will eventually be for the JL.

Patent attorneys try to incorporate as much as possible into patent applications to protect their client/inventor's innovations (for the JL.) This process takes time as documents pass back and forth between attorneys and patent examiners.

For better or worse, more than any one single thing, vehicle competition in this space would force FCA to be more customer responsive, or risk losing business to the competition.

In in fairness to the situation, even if its a pill none of us want to swallow, we too are in a small way responsible in knowing our JLs would be accessory limited initially, and not seeking alternative transportation; even among limited choices in the space the Wrangler dominates.

I love my JL. But I did not love having to make my own roof rack in time for getting my kid off to college because the Gobi was backordered and back braking in price as the sole option at the time I started shopping for racks.

it is indeed frustrating that the soft window storage bag still awaits the aftermarket, and that no internal hood lock yet exists from its manufacturer: a feature nearly ever other manufacturer offers and yet scramble for every last sale on its vehicles for nonetheless, unable to sell a handful of their models were such features not included/available/extra in cost.

Thanks Russ. I appreciate the explanation.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Having retired from product development I am very familiar with this conundrum.

Product Development: Marketing throws new demands or product changes at you and each time there is a change you basically have to start over with supplier quotations and parts supply timelines. At best, no development cycle moves faster than the slowest component and supplier.

Product Marketing: Customers keep coming up with new demands and product improvements so we have to keep getting the product development team working on adding these in so we have the best product available, from day one. We can't figure out what's taking so long and they keep quoting 3 to 5 months so we'll assume they are fudging and tell our customers it will be available in 2 months.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Remember this is a global economy. Many products are produced by the same company with slightly different specs.
Sponsored