Sponsored

Why buy a used JL? What am I missing here?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
In general Wranglers, doesnt matter the model or year, hold their value, I belive they have the lowest cost of ownership over 5 yrs because of low depreciation, which is good if you ever want to trade or sell. Hence IMHO you dont buy these used.

For example my pal is a salesman at local store, father owns the store. anyhow a customer had a TJ which was in OK shape with over 120K was an 04 I believe. Customer looking for a JL will do the deal if he can get 7000 for the TJ. My pal says he wouldnt offer more than 4K or probably loose money, and he is pretty honest. So his father gets on the blower and calls a couple local used car stores they wholesale to, the used car store offers 8000 without even looking at it??? So a 15 year old Jeep commands 8K to a used car store who will stick on their lot for 12K. They call the customer and work out a deal, win/win for the customer and dealer. I guess there is a market for old TJs that arent rot buckets and the used car people know that.
Sponsored

Gengispecan

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door jl Rubicon
Cause they're cheaper. My soft top 2 door rubicon was 9K less than a new one on the lot and it only had 2200 miles on it. Only features missing were hitch and aux buttons. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
New car finance rates are usually better. The slightly more expensive new vehicle is suddenly the same price as used by the end of the loan.

Reactions: VNT

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It works soooo much better on the lower end though. I just traded in a 2015 that had a sticker of $41.4k. I paid 38.8k for it. Vroom offered me 28.5k. I owned it for 4.5 years, and admittedly, it was made the month before I bought it, so a fairly late 2015 build lol. It's not like I feel ripped off? The original deal on the jeep was okay for the time, and Vroom offered me more than anyone else did. It's more like the Sahara trim and all the options (leather and the waaay overpriced navigation system) didn't hold their resale very well.

$875/year vs $2333/year. Ouch!

Did I learn my lesson? My 2020 is a Rubicon with a bunch of options, so no. :LOL:
yeah i noticed that as well. 'luxury' options add almost no value it seems with used cars. That 2016 sport JK had a single option - hard top. With my 2020 rubicon I splurged and got 3 - hard top, auto, and tow package. To me hard top is basically standard equipment, same could be said for auto. So hopefully it works out on resale value. I am not sure if the Rubicon trim will hold its value, but I'll find out eventually.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
it doesnt make scene to me either. you can buy a new wrangler for the same price as a used one.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This weekend I traded my Sport base with 14k off for a loaded rubicon with 6k miles.

Dealer gave me 26 for mine and sold me the Rubi for 36.

Most any Jeep dealer would give me was 24 for mine towards a new loaded Rubicon.

And the lowest 19 Base Rubicon I could find was 44ish.

This one had everything we were looking for.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
This weekend I traded my Sport base with 14k off for a loaded rubicon with 6k miles.

Dealer gave me 26 for mine and
sold me the Rubi for 36.

Most any Jeep dealer would give me was 24 for mine towards a new loaded Rubicon.

And
the lowest 19 Base Rubicon I could find was 44ish.

This one had everything we were looking for.
And this is why people buy used. $8,000 savings and more options at the cost of 6,000 miles and a different year printed on the paper. Sounds like a deal to me. Good find wv18jl.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
not to mention, it'll probably be quicker to buy used, compared to ordering a new one, which took me 4 months to get. but at least i got what i wanted.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Mine wasn't quite 4 months, but you're absolutely right. You won't get to drive it home the same day if you're ordering. Although, if you shop new inventory you can.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Be cautious buying a used one, I'd make certain to check if it was a buyback for something serious. Check to see if it was originally sold in another state first. It might have a "Lemon" tag from another state..

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes you always want to check them out. I'd go as far as to caution people to check out a new vehicle too, to make sure it wasn't damaged during transit (improperly secured, dents/scratches, or other issues).
As for the used ones, a quick carfax report will give you an immediate look at any service, though you can obviously dig a little deeper if you're concerned. Carfax will show a lot of dealer visits for the same/similar issue if it's a lemon.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
This maybe out of my own ignorance and lack of making enough true apples to apples comparisons, but it appears that the small savings you get from buying a used JL simply doesn't make sense.

Due to the age, most used JLs are rather low on mileage and when combined with Jeeps holding their value so well, the savings appears to be very low over simply buying brand new.

My wife asked me, "If that is true, why are dealerships pricing used Jeeps as they are? Who is buying used JLs and why?"

I didn't have an answer for her. What am I missing here?

- Again, I apologize if this is an ignorant question and the savings are actually there, but I just have not found them myself.

We saved almost $13,000 off sticker by buying a 2018 JLU Sahara with 3,500 miles from a dealer loaner program... was last day of the month and they were dealing...
Sponsored