Sponsored

Why are Wrangler mirrors attached to the doors?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Why does a Jeep which is known for off roading not have the mirrors attached to the frame somewhere?
I drove a bus for years the mirror wasn't on the door.
New Jeeper thinking to much......šŸ˜‰
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I remember seeing a video where a Jeep engineer explained why. I forgot the exact reason, but his logic made sense when listening to him. IIRC it was something like thereā€™s no place to put it where itā€™s still visible and useable while still staying clear of the open door. Not much real estate where the A pillar meets the cowl with the vertical windshield.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I remember seeing a video where a Jeep engineer explained why. I forgot the exact reason, but his logic made sense when listening to him. IIRC it was something like thereā€™s no place to put it where itā€™s still visible and useable while still staying clear of the open door. Not much real estate where the A pillar meets the cowl with the vertical windshield.
Well Ford engineers seemed to have figured out a way to put it on the body for the Bronco.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Well Ford engineers seemed to have figured out a way to put it on the body for the Bronco.
Not that they figured it out persay. The bronco door looks like it doesn't open quite as far. Otherwise the window would hit the mirror. There is no window frame on the broncos. In theory if the window is rolled down the door would open below the mirror.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I moved the mirrors onto the body on my old TJ. The visibility was horrible with the doors on, especially on the passenger side.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not that they figured it out persay. The bronco door looks like it doesn't open quite as far. Otherwise the window would hit the mirror. There is no window frame on the broncos. In theory if the window is rolled down the door would open below the mirror.
That seems to be ok for me.
As someone who lives in a very populous city, most of the time I donā€™t get to open the door past the first notch.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Well...
It is known for being an offroad vehicle because of this. Let me try to explain.

You take the doors off so you can see your tires & obstacles while rock crawling especially. Thus, that usually means tight spaces, between rocks and/or trees. So, if you had side mirrors, they would get knocked off or damaged. So, technically, taking the doors off is for offroad only. But, it is so much fun with the top off & doors off, that folks tend to drive around that way all the time, thus the need for side mirrors, when back on road.

I personally see a lot of broken Bronco mirrors coming up on some of the more difficult trails.

I hope this helps!
:like:

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Agree with what Chief_Dan said. Door-off wheeling through a tight spot is easier without mirrors slapping against trees, boulders, but I get the point about needing mirrors to be street legal.
Jeep recommends doors-off riding only for off-road, but you need mirrors for the ride to the off-road trail, right, because taking the doors off at the trail doesnā€™t seem like a good option.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If only they figured out how to build and deliver 2021 models before other manufacturers start building 2022's their mirror design might mean something.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Well...
It is known for being an offroad vehicle because of this. Let me try to explain.

You take the doors off so you can see your tires & obstacles while rock crawling especially. Thus, that usually means tight spaces, between rocks and/or trees. So, if you had side mirrors, they would get knocked off or damaged. So, technically, taking the doors off is for offroad only. But, it is so much fun with the top off & doors off, that folks tend to drive around that way all the time, thus the need for side mirrors, when back on road.

I personally see a lot of broken Bronco mirrors coming up on some of the more difficult trails.

I hope this helps!
:like:
Can't they just be made to fold in?

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The widest point on a Wrangler are the front fenders. Everybody sets their mirrors to suit themselves but much of the time the wing mirrors are no wider than the front fenders. If your front fenders fit though a narrow spot, your mirrors should too.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I moved the mirrors onto the body on my old TJ. The visibility was horrible with the doors on, especially on the passenger side.
did the same on my JK and with the doors on the passenger mirror was 99% useless

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It looked a little funny but was functional when I mounted them on the front fender flare on the passenger side on my JK. I got the idea from seeing it on a hot rod. This is the best pic I could find. One of the advantages is it showed me my blind spot on the passenger side really well. Not something I would do again but it was a solution at the time.

Moab 2008 (616).JPG

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Agree with what Chief_Dan said. Door-off wheeling through a tight spot is easier without mirrors slapping against trees, boulders, but I get the point about needing mirrors to be street legal.
Jeep recommends doors-off riding only for off-road, but you need mirrors for the ride to the off-road trail, right, because taking the doors off at the trail doesnā€™t seem like a good option.
I take my doors off at the trail all the time. But i also drive without doors a lot.

honestly theTying i want from the Bronco is the frameless doors more than the mirrors on the a pillar.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Yes, Ford did it by eliminating the folding windshield, which the Wrangler still has. So, on a Wrangler you'd have to mount the mirrors out somewhere off the cowl. That puts the passenger mirror forward of the A-pillar, and your visibility would be garbage unless you were driving with dually-style tow mirrors, which are obviously not practical on a trail.
Sponsored