Sponsored

Why are the 2021's rated at higher mpg's than the 2020 model?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I get 26~27 highway on my 3.6 2 door sport S with rubicon suspension. Stock AT tires.
If you dont believe me:
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are the 2021's rated at higher mpg's than the 2020 model? IMG-20200906-WA0006

Sport S 2D V6. Rubi takeoff suspension, steel bumper. 2 mountain bikes on spare tire rack and exposed racks crossbars. Smitrybuilt SRC frame attached rock sliders/steps.

I used to get the same gas mileage with the jeep stock. Maybe a bit more, sometimes I would hit 28 but it was rare.

Street driving did suffer a hit. I think it is the start and go that notices all those differences. but cruising on the highway makes the added weight negligible.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
2018 JLU Sahara 35 12.5 R17 M/T tires with V6 and 3.45 gear ratio; I am getting 17 MPG highway. Weight of the vehicle is 4700 lbs.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
If you dont believe me:
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are the 2021's rated at higher mpg's than the 2020 model? IMG-20200906-WA0006

Sport S 2D V6. Rubi takeoff suspension, steel bumper. 2 mountain bikes on spare tire rack and exposed racks crossbars. Smitrybuilt SRC frame attached rock sliders/steps.

I used to get the same gas mileage with the jeep stock. Maybe a bit more, sometimes I would hit 28 but it was rare.

Street driving did suffer a hit. I think it is the start and go that notices all those differences. but cruising on the highway makes the added weight negligible.
It might get 27.5mpg because the engine's off, 0 mph and on a trailer :)

Kidding aside, what does your instantaneous mpgs show when crusing at constant speed on top gear? My JLUR 3.6 auto shows up to 33mpg upto around 60mph.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
To clarify, that’s exclusively highway. I think I’ve gotten down into the low 20’s in our normal city/hwy mix. ~21-22mpg avg
Interesting. I am averaging 20.8 mpg right now for around town in a JLUR with a 2.5" lift, LOD front/rear bumpers and skids, and 315 KO2's, with a sun-rider down (which costs me about 1 mpg when down) and some other stuff that probably adds another 150 lbs.

On a long highway run it will run in the high 22's and low 23's at 75-80 mph.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If past behavior is a predictor of future behavior, I wouldn’t be surprised if FCA fudged the numbers to avoid paying CAFE fines.

Automakers do their own testing and submit their numbers to the EPA. The EPA doesn’t really test anything; they conduct random checks to verify automakers’ numbers.

FCA will likely get caught cheating in another year or two, and get slapped hefty fines.

But at that point, it will be PSA’s problem.
It's a merger not a sale so it will still be their problem. Partially anyway. lol.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It might get 27.5mpg because the engine's off, 0 mph and on a trailer :)

Kidding aside, what does your instantaneous mpgs show when crusing at constant speed on top gear? My JLUR 3.6 auto shows up to 33mpg upto around 60mph.
I am a responsible driver and took the picture when on a traffic light right out of the freeway! (still illegal). idk what I get instantenous ive never pay atention. I really dont care much about MPG in my Jeep. I just noticed one time we went on a road trip I got very high MPG and was surprised, since they dont rate them that high. I dont get that great MPG in town though, but were I live is highly populated and there are a million traffic lights.

I didnt get the Jeep as a daily commuter, I would never do that. For that I have a Camry.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I am a responsible driver and took the picture when on a traffic light right out of the freeway! (still illegal). idk what I get instantenous ive never pay atention. I really dont care much about MPG in my Jeep. I just noticed one time we went on a road trip I got very high MPG and was surprised, since they dont rate them that high. I dont get that great MPG in town though, but were I live is highly populated and there are a million traffic lights.

I didnt get the Jeep as a daily commuter, I would never do that. For that I have a Camry.
You can get higher than what's on the sticker over steady speeds, at least with these. It does work out if you're going long distances. I just check it for fun.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
The new steering box reduces point to point travel to nearly a straight line. Wandering back and forth across several lanes In an 2018-2020 model uses 10-15 % more fuel.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The new steering box reduces point to point travel to nearly a straight line. Wandering back and forth across several lanes In an 2018-2020 model uses 10-15 % more fuel.
The new steering box uses Artificial Intelligence. The vehicle inherently sways due to bad driver skills but the AI corrects it quickly. Here's how this technology works
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are the 2021's rated at higher mpg's than the 2020 model? tenor (1)

Note how this model also uses the "angry" grille.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Interesting. I am averaging 20.8 mpg right now for around town in a JLUR with a 2.5" lift, LOD front/rear bumpers and skids, and 315 KO2's, with a sun-rider down (which costs me about 1 mpg when down) and some other stuff that probably adds another 150 lbs.

On a long highway run it will run in the high 22's and low 23's at 75-80 mph.
Yeah, that’s the worst average we’ve seen with our driving that we do. I’ve seen about 19mpg average one time that I recall now but that was after a few hours on some mild trails where we were creeping and up to 10mph maybe.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My 20 JL SporT S 2.0 was rated 22/24, 23 Combined on the Sticker...First 750 miles Never less than 24.6 calculated
Sponsored

Last edited: