Why are roof-top tents so popular?

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have had a rooftop tent since about 2010. I got it because I needed to make camping a little more palatable for my family, at the time we camped in the desert where there are lots of nasty critters on the ground, and sleeping on the ground suck in general. My tent is Chinese made but it's held up great. Our last trip was in Utah were we camped 5 of 7 nights. A couple were free camping. I wouldn't try to put what I have on a Jeep though, It's way to big, IMO.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are roof-top tents so popular? IMG_20220910_193329743_HDR-blur
Sponsored

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
”Why are roof-top tents so popular?“

I can’t answer for anyone else, but for me it is simple: It is because it converted my wife to someone who only tolerated camping, and felt forced into it, into someone who loves camping (er, I mean, glamping) and comes back from every trip saying…”where should we go next?!?”

Dirt, bugs, uneven ground, rocks under the tent, wet gear, noises at night outside the tent, etc. all bother her, and take away from her enjoyment of a trip. All of those are better in our RTT.

There’s another intangible that we’ve both noticed: It’s significantly more fun than it logically should be, sleeping at that height. Unless you’ve tried it, you wouldn’t know. One night we cooked popcorn, and set up our little camp chairs up there and watched a movie on an iPad. Again, that was way more fun that it should have been. Maybe it harkens back to the romance of tree houses, who knows. But we’re both loving it, and we camp more because of it.

I’ve camped for decades in many types of tents, pop-up campers, travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers, RVs, and sleeping in a sleeping bag under the stars. All I can say is, I’ve never slept better than in the RTT. Although, maybe that’s cuz I spent an arm and a leg on that Exped Megamat LW sleeping pad. Without that arm and leg, I seem to sleep better on my side :LOL:
I second this, my wife did not sleep at all in ground tents. A simple leaf falling startled her. The first night in the RTT she slept MUCH better. So its without a doubt the best choice for us. I started her “camping”(glamping) in our renovated Airstream which turned into campervans And now the whole family had the Jeep itch and so a RTT was next on the list.
As for the mall cred… if we aren’t going camping its not on the Jeep. I have a pulley/boat winch system in my shed that raises/lowers it easily.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I don't have an RTT, but I did buy an inflatable mattress that fits in the back of my JLU... In early August I took a trip to the UP and slept in it for three nights. In late August, I took a trip down to Nashville and slept in it for two nights. It was remarkably comfortable.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Seems to me it depends on how you camp. My camping style is to get as far away from roads/trails/people as possible, setup camp then leave to go explore the area for a few days. I am only truly able to do this a few weekends out of the year. For my style I don't see how a tent mounted to the roof is better. The role I see for roof tents is when you don't know where you'll be each night, you roll in shortly before dark, set up camp, eat, sleep, wake up to break things down and continue your journey. Probably what I consider to be true "overlanding". Fast set up time, few concerns about terrain/location, minimal time in one location. That's just not how I typically do and since I'm not yet retired I can't justify the price of a camper/trailer/roof mounted tent, not when I already own all my old backpacking gear that works perfectly fine out of my Jeep as well and I'm only going a few times a year.

Last edited:

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Expensive but so convenient. Fast set up. Being off the ground is huge during monsoon season. I used to ground camp. I know there are some nice, fast options now for that, but having the tent on the trailer and roof saves space as well. I'm happy with it. If others aren't, that's their choice too. With the aev lift, I get less sway than with no tent and factory suspension, not kidding. It was a huge change for the better.

Downside is if you leave your camp spot the tent on the jeep goes too. That's where a cheap Amazon instant tent (usually use for the dog) comes on handy to save the spot.

20220707_102245.jpg

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I know that roof-mounted tents are extremely popular with Jeep owners who like to overland. I was just curious why so many people use them instead of using a regular tent on the ground? I would think that it would be nice to be able to set up a camp and still be able to go out exploring with the Jeep rather than setting up and taking down a roof-mounted tent?
Ryan: I know it's said before on the thread about (in so many words) "hang your meat high," including that meat attached to your bones.

I wonder if evolution has disfavored ground based camp https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest. ;)

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Saw this on one of the forums today, made me think about this thread:
Jeep Wrangler JL Why are roof-top tents so popular? Overlanding-mem

😆🤣😆

I'll echo what so many others have said and add one or two more Pros:
  • They're convenient
  • Most are easy up and down
  • Typically a thicker mattress, so they're more comfortable.
  • Not storing a tent inside the vehicle.
  • You are up off the ground.
  • Cooler on the hot evenings.
  • It is just cool to look out the window in the morning and catch the morning view from a raised platform.
  • Because you are up in the air, you can literally look down on those below you...😆😆😆

But I'll also add in a few cons about a RTT:
  • They are often cooler in the summer because they are up on the roof, in the breeze. That also makes them colder in the winter, when they are up in the breeze.
    • A Terrain-Top-Tent can be set up on the lee side of your wheeling rig to keep it out of the wind and warmer.
  • When it's raining and they get wet, you still have to set them up when you get home so they'll dry out.
    • With a TTT, you can set-them up in the garage to dry. Typically can't do that with an RTT.
  • Your Jeep is now taller.
  • Your Jeep now has an extra 125+lbs of weight up high.
    • Time to look at heavier springs, stiffer shock settings, stiffer sway bars.

We've sold (and used) quite a few different brand tents over the years. Some of the more popular tents have been the ARB line of tents, which they've just revamped and have some new offerings and the Roam Adventure tents.

ARB's newest hardshell tent, the Experance, is pretty nice:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/tents/802200-arb-esperance-compact-hard-shell-rooftop-tent

Our most popular Roam tent is the Vagabond with annex and is probably the best bang for a buck RTT when you look at all the features that come standard:
Slate Grey: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ond-rooftop-tent-w-annex-slate-grey-navy-blue

Forest Green: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ooftop-tent-w-annex-forest-green-hyper-orange

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
Last 3 Overland builds had RTTs. First one was a soft shell. Biggest pain in the a$$ ever. Don’t let anyone tell you it isn’t. The only reason you own a soft shell is because you can’t or don’t want to fork over the $$$$ on a hard shell. Well, maybe if you have a large family and need the really large soft shell, but they do make really large hard shells the size of king size beds. The hard shell is night and day. Super easy setup and tear down.

However, I’m building out a new Jeep and I’m hoping to skip the RTT and ground tent all together. I’m going to see what sleeping in the Jeep is like this time.

But, most importantly, do what’s right for you!

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Last 3 Overland builds had RTTs. First one was a soft shell. Biggest pain in the a$$ ever. Don’t let anyone tell you it isn’t. The only reason you own a soft shell is because you can’t or don’t want to fork over the $$$$ on a hard shell. Well, maybe if you have a large family and need the really large soft shell, but they do make really large hard shells the size of king size beds. The hard shell is night and day. Super easy setup and tear down.

However, I’m building out a new Jeep and I’m hoping to skip the RTT and ground tent all together. I’m going to see what sleeping in the Jeep is like this time.

But, most importantly, do what’s right for you!
Maybe on the jeep, but I have a soft shell Tepui on my trailer and it's awesome. I like it better than the hardshell on my jeep due to its size and thicker mattress. Super comfy and easy to set up, pack away. Takes a couple minutes longer to take down than the hardshell. I could see it may be a pain if up on the roof of the jeep. Biggest downside of a softshell on the jeep is that big brick up there. Too bulky for my liking and double the thickness of the hardshell.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are roof-top tents so popular? 20190613_132536

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are roof-top tents so popular? 20190613_154514

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
We had a small camper (Runaway) but love the mobility of the air mattress. Sleep Jeep or something like that..We use it all the time.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

First let me start by saying, i get it. I was in your camp last year, questioning why anyone would go the RTT route. The added weight that high is sketchy off road. I have since moved to the dark side and I am really enjoying it.

The decision for me was made in an effort to explore more weekender trails near me. We had explored all the big trails we wanted to see and wanted to have a go at longer, more scenic routes. We have great gear for backpacking and car camping but as small as it is, it still takes up a lot of space in the Jeep, and I never get a great night of sleep on the ground. (I do love my hammock when solo, but my wife and dogs usually tag along) We went with a GFC RTT that sets up in literal seconds, and has enough room for a mattress, mattress topper, and blankets to stay in the tent when stowed. It means that we’re always packed for camping and we don’t have any tents, sleeping bags, and thermarest taking up precious cargo space when we do head out. I do not think we would be as happy with a RTT if we had a bigger more complex RTT that folds out and takes 5 minutes to set up. The super streamlined hard shell, “wedge style” RTT in particular is our ticket to being happy campers.

We both agree that sleeping on a real mattress is a game changer for our rig. It’s officially glamping. I get real, comfortable sleep, just shy of being at home in my “real bed”.

A RTT is less of an advantage if you plan on staying at the same site for multiple days. However the GFC is so fast that that’s almost a non issue. We often pop the tent for road-trip rest stops. If you’re moving every day it is no more work than a ground tent, and if you have a wedge style RTT it’s far easier. We often find ourselves using the Jeep like an RV for weekend trips as well. We snag a spot at an RV/State/City park and get good sleep, a shower and spend a fraction of what a hotel costs.

F70A9997-88FA-4D26-A19A-9D3D2ABCE91F.jpeg

0933EDCA-2FE3-4BC2-B3DE-E0EF94FD540C.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: