Sponsored

Why Are People So Quick To Get Oversized Tires And A Lift?

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
After going back and forth between getting a lift and 35s or 37s and keeping it stock (at least regarding suspension and tires), I'm leaning heavily towards keeping it stock. Before I was convinced that I need all of that extra stuff in the undercarriage to survive off-road but after a year of ownership, I've been shocked time and time again how capable it is stock. Disregarding the obvious off-road performance advantages (better breakover angle, increased water fording capability, and better approach/departure angles) I just can't seem to find an outstanding reason (other than looks) to upgrade. For all the disadvantages that it brings for on-road driving it just doesn't make sense. I've gone through water crossings up to the headlights and some other pretty serious terrain and my stock rig (with a winch of course) has handled it fine. I understand that this transition is entirely justified if you are doing lots of rock crawling or extremely technical trails frequently but my understanding is that activities such as those are rather uncommon among lifted jeep owners. What do y'all think?
Listen my man, i totally get how you wanna roll in ur hood, i tottaly dig the street version dawg you know what I'm sayin 😉😎👊🏽?

But some like rollin the other way, different strokes for different folks yo. 🤙🏾

FB9D1E1F-D5F6-494D-BF23-D9E4EB204B8B.jpeg
Sponsored

xerogravsix

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 High Altitude 4xe
After going back and forth between getting a lift and 35s or 37s and keeping it stock (at least regarding suspension and tires)
I did almost $12k on mods on my Diesel, and it was great and all, but I got rid of it, and I just got my 4xe 2 1/2 weeks ago, I wouldn't do another lift, but I will be doing 35" tires with bigger rims (Fuel Zephyr 18 or 19"), and I might do a leveling kit, I found the 2" lift I had on my previous was just too much with the 35's, although I did already order the LOD destroyer steps (much needed, I'm not short, but, lemme tell ya, def needed em). I think total mod wise, I might spend $4k, I'm doing a custom heavier duty drive shaft ($1k, see Epic Adv Outfitters 4xe video), I totally noticed a difference (it was really noticable), and I would go with either the Falcon 2.1 or 3.2's again, and I had a steering kit and that would do it for me. The diesel was awesome, this 4xe is better, Skytouch for life!

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
After wheeling my TJ stock for a year or so, I went to 32" tires, and then up to what I think the sweet spot was/is - 35" tires and a lift. Anything over 35" usually required more in-depth and expensive modifications.

Now, with the JLR, I did the same. Wheeled it for a year, and made the call to go up to 37's (which in my opinion is the sweet spot for these). If I wanted to go larger (40" for example) then I'm back to the more in-depth and expensive territory.

For me, I'm not going to lie - part of it is for looks. I think it just looks right and has a better stance over the stock setup which is fully capable.
However....part of it is also for better capabilities offroad and trips that we want to take. Again, It think it's just about the perfect setup for a 2-door JLR

It's also evolution. Back in the 70s-80s 33" tires were kind of a big deal. Then 35" in the 90s/2000s, now it's 37s and 40s. These rigs also have more capability than any of its predecessors.

The beautiful thing about the Jeep community is that everyone has a chance to make it "their own". a TON of options for mods that are both aesthetic and/or functional. That's what makes it so much fun....
....except for angry grills though. Those people should be dealt with in an appropriate manner
This^^^^

The reason we have 35's and 37's and larger, primarily looks, and yes some minor advantage in ground clearance. But from the 70-80's when we old guys invented 33's as the biggest bad-est thing going, it only allowed you to take the harder line, not the easy line that still got the job done using 29's, a spot to park at top of mountain and drink beer. Thats all, bragging rights to say you could take the hard line. Because in reality, anyone can do the Rubicon with a stock Sport wrangler. My biggest lesson learned was after taking two hours climbing a remote AZ dirt trail, in a Jimmy, a stock VW bug passes me sputtering along bouncing like heck, still climbing, and stock, not a rail or dune buggy.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
You know only the 4 door really needs the big lift and tires!.....ok I've thrown my rock and I'm running now.
In Alabama maybe... It really depends, first, on the terrain and, yes, I once saw a dirt road with an incline and some softball sized rocks near Birmingham and there are some old quarries converted to amusement parks in that area; but, out west, there are often larger obstacles in your path. Second, it depends on what you're so glibly calling "the big lift and tires" and, if you want to get serious about off roading out west, you also need to talk about axles and flex.

No, where you live, any Wrangler borders on overkill since you probably just need a truck on mud terrains; but, out west and please don't visit on my account, a 2dr on 37s may be a good idea ...again depending on where you want to go, what you want to see, and how much it's worth to you.

Sponsored

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm - "Disregarding the obvious off-road performance advantages (better breakover angle, increased water fording capability, and better approach/departure angles)"

Well ok then.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
My biggest lesson learned was after taking two hours climbing a remote AZ dirt trail, in a Jimmy, a stock VW bug passes me sputtering along bouncing like heck, still climbing, and stock, not a rail or dune buggy.
Haha, yep. Here in Colorado there's always a $5k 90's Subaru way further along the trail than it has any right to be.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Haha, yep. Here in Colorado there's always a $5k 90's Subaru way further along the trail than it has any right to be.
Couple years ago wife and I are on an old forest service road in eastern Tn. Fairly steep in place, some good sized ruts but nothing to terrible at all. Our little rig went up just fine. We stopped for a bite at an overlook. Here comes a lifted/big tired JK and a Tacoma (also VERY lifted and with Huge rubber ( looked huge on the Taco anyway😳). They went creeping past (enough so momma commented on how slow they were going). 15 minutes later here comes an old stock looking Subaru Outback, throwing mud everywhere and flying up the same trail. We both got a laugh out of that. Brings to mind the old saying “it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian”😊

andy57

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
Occupation
Agriculture Applicator
Spent many years and countless dollars on lifts and tires,now at age 65 my 2019 2dr Rubicon will stay stock. I have done more with it than most highly modified ones. I have been there done that at countless areas off-road all over the country, Bone stock for now!!!!!

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Mine is still "stock"..

I agree on the 37's angle. A good balance, plenty of options and relatively cost effective..

Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I wanted a lift and bigger tires, but I was afraid of the death wobble. If something isn't broken why modify it! When I got death wobble on my stock suspension, I decided to go for the Mopar Lift and 35" tires which I have really enjoyed!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
You know only the 4 door really needs the big lift and tires!.....ok I've thrown my rock and I'm running now.
Undeniable— who will “cast the first stone” ~45 years ago I put a Big 3” lift and Big 33/12.50’s on my 5 . Times have changed, once Big is now standard, and needed. No break over comparison test required, even with an XR. However— my Jeep now has more luxuries than my MK 4 Lincoln did. I’ll take it. 😊 (Unfortunately not including the most comfortable seats I ever had 🙁)

Last edited:

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
After going back and forth between getting a lift and 35s or 37s and keeping it stock (at least regarding suspension and tires), I'm leaning heavily towards keeping it stock. Before I was convinced that I need all of that extra stuff in the undercarriage to survive off-road but after a year of ownership, I've been shocked time and time again how capable it is stock. Disregarding the obvious off-road performance advantages (better breakover angle, increased water fording capability, and better approach/departure angles) I just can't seem to find an outstanding reason (other than looks) to upgrade. For all the disadvantages that it brings for on-road driving it just doesn't make sense. I've gone through water crossings up to the headlights and some other pretty serious terrain and my stock rig (with a winch of course) has handled it fine. I understand that this transition is entirely justified if you are doing lots of rock crawling or extremely technical trails frequently but my understanding is that activities such as those are rather uncommon among lifted jeep owners. What do y'all think?
Many people get mods that they will truly use, maybe even need, and are quite knowledgeable in their purchase decisions.

A fair number get them because they gosh-darn like them, or because "Earl from the Jeep club told them to";)

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Spent many years and countless dollars on lifts and tires,now at age 65 my 2019 2dr Rubicon will stay stock. I have done more with it than most highly modified ones. I have been there done that at countless areas off-road all over the country, Bone stock for now!!!!!
You and me both brother. I have bought a JL worth of lifted jeep stuff in the past, now long gone, the stock Rubi JK with all it's warts, will get me further than my brain will let me go, thank goodness. Since 1941