First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I have serious problem!! I love everything authentic - like I would literally pay more for MOPAR stuff than just some non MOPAR item. However, I also noticed that their prices are more exorbitant than any other item but there is something that I love about MOPAR design that adhere to the Jeep look vs. some other that could be more practical and cheaper but sorta (forgive my language) dilute the Jeep look.

I am about to purchase my tubular door (this summer I am GOING to ride with my door off wooo wooo) and I noticed that MOPAR door cost at least $800 (and they are out of stock) while the alternative starts at $250. I do love the design of the MOPAR door (again perhaps it is my bias that I think they look better or their workmanship is better - ie the soldering point of the metal are not as noticeable). But I do feel bad that I am spending money on a product due to its brand name. Same with the recently released MOPAR side mirror. I love how it looks like the regular Jeep mirror but a lot of people were commenting that there are other brands that are better and cheaper. I want to get both MOPAR mirror and tubular door that could have set me back by over $1000 when it is possible to get something that good at less than half the price.

Honest question here - are there any MOPAR aficionado out there that would justify such purchase or am I just crazy. (I know I am crazy in my other ways tyvm - but lets focus on the matter on hand haha) Maybe I am just trying to justify my wants vs needs.

Here are the tubular door from MOPAR and alternative Rugged Ridge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? mopar-77072496-front-tube doors-jeep-wrangler-jl-tableto

MOPAR Tubular Door (over $800) with no mirrors

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? OMX Front Tube Doors wRUR Mirrors_03_JL_11149 2017

Rugged Ridge with mirrors - $354.

:facepalm:
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I am partial to the Mopar Tube Doors but still have a hard time "justifying" the purchase. Been on my list for a while now.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

im the other way around. anything to stay away from the 500% mark up MOPAR has. I know they need to make money but damn if they kept it closer to 150% they would sale a crud ton more parts. at the price point of mopar i rather go with EVO or one of the other high end companies for parts

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Mopars justification for price point is its still covered by factory warranty as long as a dealer installs... which is even more money....................

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is not a Mopar thing, every automotive manufacturer has pricing that’s a lot more expensive than most aftermarket equivalents. It’s the way the market works.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
It's pretty simple economics really. Mopar has to design and manufacture a bunch of stuff for a bunch of different automobiles.

Speciality shops, can focus on one vehicle (i.e. Jeep Wrangler).

So speciality shops can be faster to market with (in most cases) better products at a more competitive price.

Price is lower due to less overhead, and potentially lower manufacturing costs. Prices are also lower in a bid to gain marketshare.

Mopar's plan is it make money on the vehicle. They aren't reaching quarterly results by selling tube doors.

So, they sell at an artificially high price, so they aren't accidentally obligated to manufacturer a very high amount of items, like tube doors, which would get in the way of selling jeeps, their core product.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have serious problem!! I love everything authentic - like I would literally pay more for MOPAR stuff than just some non MOPAR item. However, I also noticed that their prices are more exorbitant than any other item but there is something that I love about MOPAR design that adhere to the Jeep look vs. some other that could be more practical and cheaper but sorta (forgive my language) dilute the Jeep look.

I am about to purchase my tubular door (this summer I am GOING to ride with my door off wooo wooo) and I noticed that MOPAR door cost at least $800 (and they are out of stock) while the alternative starts at $250. I do love the design of the MOPAR door (again perhaps it is my bias that I think they look better or their workmanship is better - ie the soldering point of the metal are not as noticeable). But I do feel bad that I am spending money on a product due to its brand name. Same with the recently released MOPAR side mirror. I love how it looks like the regular Jeep mirror but a lot of people were commenting that there are other brands that are better and cheaper. I want to get both MOPAR mirror and tubular door that could have set me back by over $1000 when it is possible to get something that good at less than half the price.

Honest question here - are there any MOPAR aficionado out there that would justify such purchase or am I just crazy. (I know I am crazy in my other ways tyvm - but lets focus on the matter on hand haha) Maybe I am just trying to justify my wants vs needs.

mopar-77072496-front-tube doors-jeep-wrangler-jl-tabletop.jpg

OMX Front Tube Doors wRUR Mirrors_03_JL_11149 2017.jpg

Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive????

Because Mopar is a "for profit" organization.

All of my Mopar accessories have been excellent. Some of my aftermarket stuff is now in my trash container.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've yet to install a factory accessory that didn't fit exactly as it should have. The same can't be said for at least a few of the aftermarket accessories that I've purchased through the years.

So, there is in my experience an implicit guarantee of proper fit with OEM-branded "stuff". This isn't to suggest that the aftermarket should be avoided. Rather: shop carefully.

Generally, I tend to seek out the best-rated and most robustly constructed accessories for my vehicles. I won't complain about price, but I will complain about quality...and installation. If the factory brand wins that race, great. If an aftermarket company does, great again.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've yet to install a factory accessory that didn't fit exactly as it should have. The same can't be said for at least a few of the aftermarket accessories that I've purchased through the years.

So, there is in my experience an implicit guarantee of proper fit with OEM-branded "stuff". This isn't to suggest that the aftermarket should be avoided. Rather: shop carefully.

Generally, I tend to seek out the best-rated and most robustly constructed accessories for my vehicles. I won't complain about price, but I will complain about quality...and installation. If the factory brand wins that race, great. If an aftermarket company does, great again.
That's a good call out.

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
I agree with the statement above. For the most part you get what you pay for and by all means you should. Inversely I feel that if you get poor quality for good money it's your responsibility to speak up.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's not just Mopar, price something for the JL then the same item for the JK. JL drivers are getting raped and I can't even enjoy the cigarette afterwards.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive????

Because Mopar is a "for profit" organization.

All of my Mopar accessories have been excellent. Some of my aftermarket stuff is now in my trash container.
Let me help here. It’s all for profit. The cheap shit is for effortless profit.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Honest question here - are there any MOPAR aficionado out there that would justify such purchase or am I just crazy. (I know I am crazy in my other ways tyvm - but lets focus on the matter on hand haha) Maybe I am just trying to justify my wants vs needs.....
Hey Ken:

MOPAR can charge more because they have a pseudo monopoly in their ability to say that their parts are genuine Chrysler and guaranteed to work with the vehicle, and some people find some degree of cache in going with the official "real deal."

...and there's nothing wrong with some people valuing that cache...

Can you imagine if we all valued things exactly the same?....there would be no incentive to effect commerce. We'd all have to make our own toasters, and tires, and...you get the idea.

But with that said, truth, often MOPAR turfs out their products to some third party which they in turn slap their label on. In my opinion, there's junk to be found with or without the MOPAR label, some amazing stuff created by private business on private label, and some fairly decent stuff under the MOPAR brand. The problem IMHO is that as a whole, if you divide the price of MOPAR stuff into the quality, you end up with a smaller number sometimes.

With this said, you like the look of some of the MOPAR wares. I too, from a style perspective have liked some MOPAR stuff best, and some not. So bottom line, weight YOUR personal assessment of a good's value, including quality, design, and yes--it's okay--label, and choose what works for you.

One thing I will say as a personal note about MOPAR. Sometimes IMHO they absolutely screw smaller firms that make the parts for them, particularly when such vendors also sell similar product under their own name. These vendors make the brand valuable, feed families, and help the Jeep brand, and MOPAR could stand to respect them more.....the Bolt Lock for the JL being IMHO a classic example.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? OMX Front Tube Doors wRUR Mirrors_03_JL_11149 2017

I normally would stay far away from Rugged Ridge since the quality control of their Chinese-manufactured parts is nothing short of awful, but I'm seriously considering their tube doors only because they come with mirror mounts and look better than the Mopar ones.

But to reiterate points made by others, JPP stuff works and fits right out of the box. I have no doubt if I buy the RR doors, I'll have to do some tweaking and repairs to the product myself before installation.
Sponsored